Remove icebox or not? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #1

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Remove icebox or not?

I have an icebox in my 82 Scamp. I find it easier to just use a cooler (so far). So I only store dry food in the icebox. I was thinking that removing it would provide more storage and since I don't have a heater it would be easier to use the adjacent space. I wonder if anyone has done this and their feedback. I'm new and so far have done nothing to the Scamp. But winter gives me lots of time for ideas :-) will there be weird insulation or other "stuff" to remove? Supports to deal with? Will the remaining hole need to be cut and trimmed? Any reason I might regret removing it? It is a "lovely" avocado green but I'm pretty sure I can live w/o that. Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3072652261.jpg   image-1451769369.jpg  

Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If you plan on re-selling your trailer someday you might want to keep the icebox in it's current location or remove it in such a way that it can be easily replaced. If you keep the icebox but do not use it as such you could subdivide it with plastic shoebox containers as sold at The Container Store. I find that they fit perfectly in my trailer icebox. I like to organize my food in the icebox with these boxes. The dimensions of your icebox might be different than mine and require differently sized boxes. A great container for eggs is the The Container Store > Snap 'N Stack Egg-Tainer.

One tip...It is important to secure the door of your icebox while in transit so items don't fall out. I notice that your icebox door handle is on the right side while mine is on the left. I simply hook a bungee cord to the icebox handle and a cabinet handle to the left of the icebox. I don't know what you could do to secure your icebox, but others in this forum might.

I have never removed a icebox from a fiberglass trailer. We ordered our new 2011 Scamp trailer with an icebox and love it! We also use a toteable (is that a word?) cooler. We like the simplicity of putting a block of ice (available most of the time) in the coolers and keeping things cool for 4-5 days (depending on the inside or outside temperature). We tend to keep vegetables and salad fixin's in the cooler box as I eat a salad twice per day. In the trailer icebox we keep items such as eggs, meats, cheese and dinner fixin's. By doing so we don't open any one box too often, thereby retaining the cool temperature within. I like that the trailer icebox simply drains the melted ice to the outside (no muss, no fuss).

I appreciate the trailer icebox while in bear country as the food is considered "secure" by the park rangers. If you want to be extra safe, though, you might want to store your food in the trunk of your car or in the bear-proof food containers provided at your campground.

Happy Camping!
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
I have an icebox in my 82 Scamp. I find it easier to just use a cooler (so far). So I only store dry food in the icebox. I was thinking that removing it would provide more storage and since I don't have a heater it would be easier to use the adjacent space. I wonder if anyone has done this and their feedback. I'm new and so far have done nothing to the Scamp. But winter gives me lots of time for ideas :-) will there be weird insulation or other "stuff" to remove? Supports to deal with? Will the remaining hole need to be cut and trimmed? Any reason I might regret removing it? It is a "lovely" avocado green but I'm pretty sure I can live w/o that. Thanks!!!
Actually the icebox is pretty efficient when compared to other coolers. Plus it has a simple drain system so that all you do is add ice and enjoy.
If you have a deep freze at home, you can freeze water in 64oz "Great Value" type juice bottles and they will keep the ice box cold for days longer than store bought ice. I say keep it, since you will get very little more storage by removing it and it is sealed when shut.
You could use contact paper(maybe white or woodgrain) over the door, or disassemble and replace the panel.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Of course you will figure out what will be best for your camping/glamping needs. But personally I wouldn't remove it, much for the reasons Floyd gave.

That being said, I am not a purest so if you don't like/need/want it. Remove it!

As far as the "avacado green" color. There is tons of things you can do to change it. Paint it, once you figure out what colors your gonna glamp your trailer out with. I have seen them painted, decoupaged, covered up as well as the panel itself replaced.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I do the same thing as you, Tonia, because I want that interior storage for dry goods. I plan to remove my icebox and install shelves behind it which will double the amount of storage area. I've already installed a vertical 'wall' to the left of the icebox (inside that cavity) in preparation for taking the icebox out and installing shelves. I'll either make a door or find a nice cabinet door of the right size.
I don't want to do a 3way or a dorm fridge because I want that storage rather than an ice box. I much prefer my topload coolers for cold food.
I am not saving anything much that I take out, but its really up to you. I feel that these campers hold their value so well, that it not doesn't make much difference if its 'all original' or not. What does make a difference to resale, is how well the unit has been maintained, and the quality of any remodel work you do to it.
It's odd that your door opens 'away' from the kitchen area, isn't it? Normally, the handle would be on the left side to give you easy access to the fridge...
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Since you refer to it as an icebox, I presume there's no propane connection, so removal should be a piece of cake..

Certainly you'd get more storage space if you remove it, but as others advise you should probably store it somewhere for possible future use/owners.

You will of course just have an unfinished void there...finishing/enclosing could range from something as simple as a shelf and a curtain to the more complex trim/cabinet door solution.

OR

It occurs to me that the door of your icebox is probably removable...why not use just that for access to the space, much enlarged due to having removed the "box" part? I think you could hinge the door directly to the cutout side after reinforcing from behind...

Just a thought!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
My Scamp was a military surplus and came with a 'blank' sheet over where the ice box was to go. I took the cover off, built a shelf at the base and slide my cooler in the spot. Eventually, I will replace the cooler with a 120/12v refrigerated cooler-top opening.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Everyone has an opinion and this is mine

I'd leave it and use it as intended. If you don't want to use it as an icebox, consider it a breadbox or foodbox. Fruits and vegetables need to be kept cool, not cold... so a frozen water bottle would be enough for a couple of days for that. It's a safe place to keep bread or hamburger buns... they wouldn't get squished... or bags/boxes of cereal. Or a combination of all thoses things.

The interior looks like it's in really nice shape. Changing the color of the door is easy enough to do. One thing to mod to make the trailer uniquely your own.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
It's odd that your door opens 'away' from the kitchen area, isn't it? Normally, the handle would be on the left side to give you easy access to the fridge...
Mine is the same way and it IS annoying. I've never checked to see if it can be changed. I think the idea may have been that it makes the fridge accessible from the table. But I'd rather have it accessible from outside or from the doorway.

I'd just remove it and save it in case you sell. Just don't change the door opening- or do it by removing the old panel and saving it and creating a new door panel. It's not very roomy for dry storage as is though it is probably more mouseproof than it will be if you convert to shelves.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Good point about the icebox being mouseproof, Bobbie.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We ordered ours without an ice box. Scamp put a door on instead. I can not figure out where people put stuff who don't have this big storage area. Obviously we have never backpacked. the cooler stays in the car.

Since my plan was not to consider resale the decision was easy. My guess is most people would want the box. I do like the space, just wish I could come up with clever design for space.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We removed the ice box in our Uhaul and installed a dorm fridge. We are in the camper for the winter, two months in one place, so the dorm fridge works for us. We have a second dorm fridge in the screen room. Before we removed the ice box we used it for dry food storage. I trimmed the opening with trim lock from J C Whitney.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #13

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Thank you everyone!!! A lot of good points. I didnt even consider mouse and bears. Right now I feel like I'll hold onto it forever--I feel like I became attached as quickly as I do with a new puppy. I'm a sentimental sap :-) BUT who knows...if later I can afford (and justify) newer with more amenities??? I never thought I'd camp without a tent but my almost 40 year old back is soooo much happier now.

I'm thinking perhaps I should actually use it as an icebox at least a few times before I decide. I haven't really had issue with the handle being one the right. I can see why the left makes better sense. What I do not like ate the overhead flip up doors...hand bangers!

My plan was to use those sticky stainless looking tiles on the door to match the backsplash I want to add using the same if I kept the icebox.

It really is in great shape! I did nothing but scrub it top to bottom when I got at the end of May and went camping. It didn't really even need much cleaning...it's just made me feel better. Of course now I think it NEEDS everything. Lol

Thanks again for the food for thought!
Tonia
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The door might be reversible. Check the manual.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Mine is the same way and it IS annoying. I've never checked to see if it can be changed. I think the idea may have been that it makes the fridge accessible from the table. But I'd rather have it accessible from outside or from the doorway.

I'd just remove it and save it in case you sell. Just don't change the door opening- or do it by removing the old panel and saving it and creating a new door panel. It's not very roomy for dry storage as is though it is probably more mouseproof than it will be if you convert to shelves.
The door is reversible, using nothing more than a screwdriver.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote