Removing body from frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #1

Name: Bcbigfoot
Trailer: 1979 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Removing body from frame

Hello everyone, I'm new to the boler world, just received a free 1974 13' model that needs a lot of work. I've scoured the net and know where all of my bolts are located but I am stumped as to how to properly support the trailer so I can pull the old frame and out and slip the new one in. I'll be doing this by myself and don't want to wreck the paper thin fibreglass bottom edging. Any input would be a HUGE help on how i can set up blocking and where to support the carriage as I'd like to get it done before it gets too cold. My model has the fibreglass dropped one piece floor as well. Thanks everybody, so glad to be part of this world of bolers!
Bcboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ira, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here

A number of folks have removed the body from the frame. I'm betting someone will pop in soon and point you in the right direction.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
I would support the floor rather than the edge of the trailer. There are a number of ways to do it. I used wood blocks and axle stands. Whatwvwe method you use, you need to make sure the weight is distributed over an area.

The axle is the widest point in the trailer frame. Be prepared to move your blocks after you have your frame separated from the egg. You will probably have to pull your frame forward a bit, then move the block arrangement, then move the frame some more.

Once I had the frame separated from the trailer, I found it helpful to remove the wheels. With wheels removed, you will have more clearance. It might be a good idea to release all the wheel bolts by one half turn. This will make life easier when you go to remove tthe wheels later.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
Found this on a previous link. Lots of great info here on this site. Hope it helps a little.
  • Remove body to frame bolts and screws
  • jack trailer and frame up and support the Boler body using jack stands and larger wooden blocks to distribute the weight
  • Lower the frame to the ground (it may take some persuasion to separate the frame from body, wiggling, etc)
  • I then slid 4"x4" timbers under body with some blocking on top to support the body and allow the frame to be slid out from underneath
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
You might find this link useful. I found this video to be helpful. Remember that he is working on a 17' trailer. This trailer is much larger and much heavier then your 13'. As a result, your job will be much easier.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks guys! I've watched the video a few times, my concern is not being able to have anything rest on the Fiberglass exterior walls as they are paper thin. I noticed he jacked right on the frame and had his cross beam resting on the body as well. Ideally I would be able to jack up the body, pull frame, reinstall frame, lower body. Not sure how to drop body back down gently with out causing damage.
Sorry if this is confusing, just really don't want to cause damage this early in on my restore. I have 4 jack stands but not sure which is the best jack to buy. I have a standard car jack, but can't see it being much use.
Again, thank you
Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #7

British Columbia
Found this blog to have a helpful step by step with photos
http://bigeastboler.blogspot.ca/?m=1
Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #8

British Columbia
That was a little trickier than I thought. PO sprayed entire bottom with spray foam, essentially encasing the entire thing. Plus the frame broke in three spots while coming off the body. It was a real challenge. Now to figure out the best way to reattach the two once the new frame comes back from the welder
Attached Thumbnails
image-307523314.jpg   image-3351460161.jpg  

image-4154443060.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #9

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Hunter Industries
Tennessee
Registry
Been there, nice job!
Jeff Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Awesome job. Nice find. I too am doing a total custom rebuild of a 1971 Boler. Many hours and many dollars, but it will be done my way. LOL.

Keep the pics coming, love to see what other people are doing to their Bolers.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #11

Ontario
Registry
That spray foam must have been nasty to deal with. It acts like glue in sum respects. On the up side, it will probably keep your feet warmer if you camp in the off season. On the down side, it probably accelerated the rust that lead to your cracking issue.

When the trailer came free, didn't it leave a gap or channel where. It came from? Won't the trailer frame fit back into the old gaps when it is time to reinstall? Can't you just rebolt like it was when you took it apart?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #12

British Columbia
Yes there is the old outline left in the spray foam, I'll be scraping all of that of (hopefully it comes off somewhat easily) before I slip the new frame in.
Since I titled this thread regarding separating the frame from body, I'll now start a new thread following the process of restoring from here on in. I have never done any work like this before and look forward to any tips or suggestions from the group along the way. Hopefully by updating and adding photos, I will be able to help somebody else as they go through the same process. Thanks everybody!!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #13

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcboler View Post
That was a little trickier than I thought. PO sprayed entire bottom with spray foam, essentially encasing the entire thing. Plus the frame broke in three spots while coming off the body. It was a real challenge. Now to figure out the best way to reattach the two once the new frame comes back from the welder

Great Pix, thanks. . jim
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote