Removing Campster from the Frame? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Removing Campster from the Frame?

I have a campster, similar to a hunter and the frame is very heavily corroded.

Has anyone here ever straight lifted the shell off of the frame. Where are the bolts etc (inside bottom etc).. what are the tricks etc. . (ie jack the whole thing up, brace it then unbolt and lower the frame only)??

If there is a link here or anywhere else please point me to it, or any suggestions from those who have done it (pictures are a plus) please let me know.

I am sure that all of the bolts, nuts etc are merged with my frame at this point, and fiberglass being brittle, I dont want to risk damaging anything , but I would like to inspect and work on the frame, replace repair and repaint as necessary.

Thanks all. . jimbo
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think their are 6 bolts that hold the body on. Look in the rear lower cabinets, under the side sofas towards the front and in the middle under the sofas......................... How is the floor? If you see a lot of rust it would be easier to cut the bolts off under the trailer. You may need to get some strong people to help lift the body.
Good Luck
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hi Jimbo
The nuts & bolts should all be visible from underneath running thru the chassie and if unable to unscrew you may have to break off. A nut splitter would help. My Trillium only has about 6-8 bolts. Once the bolts are unfastned it just the wiring and gas line to watch as you separate the body from the chassie.
Good luck.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Thanks for the tips so far, Looking at the bottom side, it is so corroded I may need the nut splitter, the floor seems ok, I am just beginning disassembling the cabinets, glueing back together then repaint resurface... Im sure it wont be long til I see those screws.
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster