Removing Propane Tanks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I camp most of the time at state parks, with at least electric. I am retired and camp mostly off seasons in the weekdays, 3-4 nights at a time. It is not crowded and noisy. The state parks are wonderful. I am going camping next week and I wanted to know how much gas was left in my propane tank. So I took it off and weighed it on a bathroom scale. It was 35# after more then four years. If and when I need a new tank, I will get a smaller one. Carl
Blimey! - We refilled 3 times on our last trip.....
Different strokes.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #16

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Manitoba
As can be seen by the replies, there are many ways to approach this subject depending on where you predominately camp and your own style.
I am still considering the idea of adding propane to my trailer but so far, in almost 15,000 kms of travel this year, I have only once had occasion to use my propane stove. I stayed almost exclusively in lovely town/municipal and provincial parks and all had electrical hookups. I appreciated the instant heat from my small electric heater, the convenience of my electric kettle and the microwave at the end of a long day of driving. But I was in traveling, not camping mode and I like to think that if I ever get to the point where I camp in one place for a length of time, I would embrace outdoor cooking and need propane.

Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Why not have your cake and eat it too? We have both an induction cook top and a butane single burner stove. A propane heater and an electric one. An airconditioner and a 12v fan. 30v hookup, battery and solar. Propane tank and storage box on tongue. All in a 13' FGRV. Everything, and the kitchen sink!
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
You can actually buy an RV without any propane equipment. You can also get them without tanks for water and sewage. They are called park models and lots of them get sold every season.

I'd be willing to bet there is someone out there camping in the wilderness and all they have for equipment is a knife, one they made themselves. Then there are the people who think they are roughing it in $300,000 motor homes with hot tubs and granite counter tops. There is a broad spectrum of what people think is good and what they think is either excessive or insufficient.

No one can say what is the right degree for equipment for anyone else. If someone wants to remove the possibility of cooking, heating and hot water in the wild and decides to rely on shore utilities then that's just fine.

My idea of RV freedom includes the possibility of loading up and heading out with no reservations, no destination and no plans. I haven't done it yet but some day I'm going to head for the hills, not caring where the hills are. To enable this in my dotage, I want heat, lights, hot water, good cooking, etc. I have 2 15s in the trailer, a 5 strapped in the bed and 2 more 15s in the shed.

I'm not a true prepper but where I live we often have power outages. It is comforting to know that if the power really goes out, like it did for 6 months in Puerto Rico, I could get by. Heck, with an RV I could go to where there is power.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Make sure you maintain a safe tongue weight for stable, sway-free towing. If you completely remove two 20# tanks and associated plumbing, you're taking 60-70# or so off the tongue. A cargo box is a good start. When you're done and loaded, it might be a good idea to re-weigh the tongue to make sure you're still within the 10-15% window.

We've never plugged in our Scamp, so LP is important to us. My mom is the opposite- electric only for everything. Different strokes.

If you'd never camped before, I'd second Bill's comments about giving up some prime camping spots. But you have, so you are aware of the ramifications of your choice. In any case, it's easily reversible if your needs change in the future.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #20

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
I ordered my Parkliner without the propane tanks. I do have a generator on a tongue platform. It is much smaller and lighter than the tanks. I have only used the generator twice. Otherwise I use the electric at the campgrounds. I lived for several weeks in the trailer two years ago with no problem.
Leslie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #21

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Added tongue box storage is great for all your leveling tools. I keep a single 11lbs propane tank inside it at all times.
With September and October temperatures and a passion for free camping, boondocking and gourmet home cooked meals, its hard to think about life without propane..
fofobraselio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:07 AM   #22

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
We camp a lot in the spring and fall and mostly in State or National parks with no hook-ups.
Also I don't think that the little cube heater I have would be as efficient as the propane furnace in heating my Casita Deluxe and wife is always worried about fire with electric heaters so I have 2- 13 LB aluminum tanks on the Casita and if on an extended stay I carry a regular 20 pounder in the truck just in case.
I use this 20 pounder to run the grill outside anyway but can hook it up to the camper if needed.
In New England it gets cold in the spring and fall and the furnace works great.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #23

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Hi Brenda,

I'm about halfway through a Casita Freedom conversion that will be all electric featuring induction cooking. I'm still keeping the propane tanks as a backup.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #24

Name: Phillip
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
Removing propane tanks

I pulled the two tanks off our 93 17ft Burro, removed the stove, refrigerator and water heater. Replaced the water heater with a high efficiency 10 gal electric unit with a bottom drain, stove was replaced with a hot plate and the refrigerator with a cooler that keeps ice 4 plus days. Bought a 2000 watt inverter generator plus 50watt portable solar panel. My LP gas equipment was old and pretty well worn out so I went this way instead of replacing the old gas equipment. I camp in state parks and National Forrest (boone docking). I put a storage box on the tongue where the tanks had been located and freed up a lot of additional storage space where I pulled the gas stove and water heater out of. This lightened my empty weight by almost 200 lbs, gave me lots of additional storage space and allows me to be comfortable on or off grid for days. My total cost for the new equipment including the purchase of the generator and solar cells was less than what it would have run me to replace the old LP appliances and lines (<$900). We've used this set up for over a year with no regrets.
PV Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
RVs are a great Plan B in the event of a calamity or natural disaster like those seen recently in the South and East. It's not hard to imagine extended power outtages. Your RVs give you options, and the more options in your rv, the better. Allow me to put in a plug for having a few of these stacked in a home closet, and some Aqua-tainers filled with water: (Sorry, an old Boy Scout here).

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Hous...7I/ref=sr_1_1?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #26

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
MREs are a good option too. All military chow gets a bad rap no mater what it is but MREs are not all that bad. If you are looking for a long storing solution with known nutritional value they make a lot of sense.

If you google "72 hour kit" you will have all kinds of help assembling your own stuff for a lot less than what Amazon wants.

If you have an RV of any sort, it just makes sense to have a little set aside just in case. Hopefully you will throw it out in a few years because it is unused and expired. Then you can replace it with fresh stuff. It is the kind of insurance that costs very little but can save you a lot.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #27

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
MREs are a good option too. All military chow gets a bad rap no mater what it is but MREs are not all that bad. If you are looking for a long storing solution with known nutritional value they make a lot of sense.

If you google "72 hour kit" you will have all kinds of help assembling your own stuff for a lot less than what Amazon wants.

If you have an RV of any sort, it just makes sense to have a little set aside just in case. Hopefully you will throw it out in a few years because it is unused and expired. Then you can replace it with fresh stuff. It is the kind of insurance that costs very little but can save you a lot.
ABSOLUTELY:

We do that with stuff purchased at Sams and other sources when things are on sale. Wife keeps it monitored and rotates it before it expires. That way we can eat it and replace it with new "sale" stuff. Very little loss or expense as we are eating and using instead of throwing away.

Similar to purchasing insurance and being able to get the premiums returned in full. To purchase new insurance. Win-Win
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:57 AM   #28

Name: Robert
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
Wink "Boondocking" vs "Dry Camping"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaG View Post
Has anyone removed the propane tanks and gone total electric for a while? We are not boondockers and feel the two tanks are just added weight ... If we remove them we could use that space for storage which is minimum in our 15 ft parkliner

Thanks,
Brenda
First off, Congrats on your Parkliner. If the company would settle down a bit I am still very interested in them and have been since they started.

Your reference to "boon docking" would generally mean you are camped away from actual campgrounds, generally without hookups of any kind. What you are describing would be termed "dry-camping" where you could be at a formal campground but without water/electric services at the site.

rdcastle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner, propane, vin