Removing Propane Tanks - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't care if people own trailers with propane or not. Both of mine do. I took a 10,000 mile trip this summer. Some days were 8 hour driving days. I was glad I could run my refrigerator on propane, especially those long days. When you're traveling and it's 95+ degrees F, it's nice to arrive at a campsite with 'safe food' and a cold one waiting to be open. I did take a cooler. It was nice to not need to hunt down ice. Seven of the 51 nights were at zero hookup sites. One of the best was a stay at Craters of the Moon.

If all your camping is going to be at hookup sites, you probably don't need it. I'm glad I'm not restricted to only that...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #42

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our first fiberglass trailer was an all electric EggCamper. That was very unsuitable for us so we had a local rv place install a propane furnace and cook top.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #43

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't care if people own trailers with propane or not. Both of mine do. I took a 10,000 mile trip this summer. Some days were 8 hour driving days. I was glad I could run my refrigerator on propane, especially those long days. When you're traveling and it's 95+ degrees F, it's nice to arrive at a campsite with 'safe food' and a cold one waiting to be open. I did take a cooler. It was nice to not need to hunt down ice. Seven of the 51 nights were at zero hookup sites. One of the best was a stay at Craters of the Moon.

If all your camping is going to be at hookup sites, you probably don't need it. I'm glad I'm not restricted to only that...

We’ve found it’s quite the opposite, the sites with the amenities are always by the lake shore, riverbanks, or scenic mountainside, beautiful valleys , next to the bathrooms/showers, at the state parks, COEs, or National parks. The amenities sites also have been more spacious, have fire rings, benches, BBQ pits and are level. The boondocking sites in these parks are usually down some dirt road without fire rings, BBQ pits, surrounded by brush and trees. The parking areas are usually dirt and intended for tents They are usually not level too. It’s worth the extra $10 for not only amenities, but better sites. We didn’t buy a $20,000 trailer to skimp on the extra $10. Then we would’ve stayed in our tent!
We don’t find it restricting in any way to use hookups. We park then go to the places we want to visit. If it’s a park we’ll hike a few miles, take pictures, fish, and enjoy!
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #44

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
my biggest off grid use is at music festivals and star parties where there simply *aren't* any hookups.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #45

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
We’ve found it’s quite the opposite, the sites with the amenities are always by the lake shore, riverbanks, or scenic mountainside, beautiful valleys , next to the bathrooms/showers, at the state parks, COEs, or National parks. The amenities sites also have been more spacious, have fire rings, benches, BBQ pits and are level. The boondocking sites in these parks are usually down some dirt road without fire rings, BBQ pits, surrounded by brush and trees. The parking areas are usually dirt and intended for tents They are usually not level too. It’s worth the extra $10 for not only amenities, but better sites. We didn’t buy a $20,000 trailer to skimp on the extra $10. Then we would’ve stayed in our tent!
We don’t find it restricting in any way to use hookups. We park then go to the places we want to visit. If it’s a park we’ll hike a few miles, take pictures, fish, and enjoy!
And just the opposite here. Many of the National Parks, State Parks, COE, Provincial Parks (Canadian version of a state park) I have stayed at in the last few years had no hookups. And where hookups existed, sites were jammed close together. The logistics of running power and utilities resulted in smaller sites, closer together.

Fishing Bridge Campground at Yellowstone, the only C/G inside the park with hookups:

flying bridge by wrk101, on Flickr

Grant C/G where we stayed inside the NP (Scamp is not ours):

grant-village-campground by wrk101, on Flickr

As far as scenic mountains, we live 15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. While the NP has 10 separate campgrounds on the Blue Ridge Parkway, none have hookups: "Each campground has restrooms with cold running water and flush toilets. Each individual campsite has a fire grate and picnic table. There are no showers or electrical or water hookups in the park."
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner, propane, vin