Removing Propane Tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 2018 Parkliner
Georgia
Removing Propane Tanks

Has anyone removed the propane tanks and gone total electric for a while? We are not boondockers and feel the two tanks are just added weight ... If we remove them we could use that space for storage which is minimum in our 15 ft parkliner

Thanks,
Brenda
BrendaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
You certainly could put an aftermarket storage box on the front. I'd be sure to plug the lines and save the regulator for reinstallation at resale time, though.

Sounds like you'll be boiling water on a hot plate for hot water, and showering at campground facilities....

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Two tanks, when empty, weigh about 35 lbs.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I took the single tank off our Uhaul and put a storage box in it's place, and replaced the two 20 lb tanks on our Casita with one 7 lb tank and have not used it one time in two years.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I'm one of those who just about always camp with full hook-ups, and I can't remember the last time I even used Propane for anything on my trailer. That said, I still didn't want to give up the option in case I had one of those rare occasions that I may need it, so my "work-around" was to downsize my propane tanks to two 2 1/2 Gallon ones, (half size to the standard 20 pounders,) to reduce unneeded weight for something I rarely use. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
casita 012.JPG   Keder Rail1.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I love the National Park system and camp there a lot. The rates are ridiculously low, even lower with a senior pass. Few have hookups. So while I am not in boondocking mode, that is what I am doing. Propane becomes a key asset in this situation for heat, refrigeration, hot water and cooking.

So am I boondocking if I stay at a National Park? I guess so.

I would never cancel out my ability to camp at a National Park.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I love the National Park system and camp there a lot. The rates are ridiculously low, even lower with a senior pass. Few have hookups. So while I am not in boondocking mode, that is what I am doing. Propane becomes a key asset in this situation for heat, refrigeration, hot water and cooking.

So am I boondocking if I stay at a National Park? I guess so.

I would never cancel out my ability to camp at a National Park.

I think that most, not necessarily all, people that want all electric comp only in nice weather on week-ends and at what I call RV resorts.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I think that most, not necessarily all, people that want all electric comp only in nice weather on week-ends and at what I call RV resorts.
Well, I can't speak for others, but I don't camp at all-electric sites. I camp at full hook-up sites, whenever I can. Doesn't always work out, but that's what I shoot for.

I think most folks would rather camp in "nice weather" as opposed to being stuck in a little trailer because it's raining cats and dogs out.

Since I'm retired, I have the luxury of camping anytime I want to, not just on "weekends." All the places I've ever been are always more crowded on weekends, so I prefer mid-week, and camping is always better when all the rug rats are back in school where they belong.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I camp at full hook-up sites, whenever I can.

AKA RV parking lots.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #10

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
AKA RV parking lots.
Thats not nice.
There are some lovely state parks that have full hookups.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Thats not nice.
There are some lovely state parks that have full hookups.

I think the key-word is "some".
Old 10-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think the key-word is "some".
So true. Yellowstone has one campground with hookups. It’s cramped, and it’s very hard to get a site. Meanwhile they have probably 1,000 sites without hookups. Near me, the Blue Ridge Parkway has a very nice campground. With my senior pass, it’s $12 a night, no hookups.

If I can get a hookup, I will go for it. But I won’t forego a terrific NP campground just because it doesn’t have s hookup.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We usually camp at sites with full hookups . We tried boondocking several times but the stench of generator exhaust along with the constant irritating noise changed our minds . We now stay mostly at guiet , peaceful state and federal parks .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I camp most of the time at state parks, with at least electric. I am retired and camp mostly off seasons in the weekdays, 3-4 nights at a time. It is not crowded and noisy. The state parks are wonderful. I am going camping next week and I wanted to know how much gas was left in my propane tank. So I took it off and weighed it on a bathroom scale. It was 35# after more then four years. If and when I need a new tank, I will get a smaller one. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #15

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I camp most of the time at state parks, with at least electric. I am retired and camp mostly off seasons in the weekdays, 3-4 nights at a time. It is not crowded and noisy. The state parks are wonderful. I am going camping next week and I wanted to know how much gas was left in my propane tank. So I took it off and weighed it on a bathroom scale. It was 35# after more then four years. If and when I need a new tank, I will get a smaller one. Carl
Blimey! - We refilled 3 times on our last trip.....
Different strokes.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #16

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
As can be seen by the replies, there are many ways to approach this subject depending on where you predominately camp and your own style.
I am still considering the idea of adding propane to my trailer but so far, in almost 15,000 kms of travel this year, I have only once had occasion to use my propane stove. I stayed almost exclusively in lovely town/municipal and provincial parks and all had electrical hookups. I appreciated the instant heat from my small electric heater, the convenience of my electric kettle and the microwave at the end of a long day of driving. But I was in traveling, not camping mode and I like to think that if I ever get to the point where I camp in one place for a length of time, I would embrace outdoor cooking and need propane.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Why not have your cake and eat it too? We have both an induction cook top and a butane single burner stove. A propane heater and an electric one. An airconditioner and a 12v fan. 30v hookup, battery and solar. Propane tank and storage box on tongue. All in a 13' FGRV. Everything, and the kitchen sink!
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
You can actually buy an RV without any propane equipment. You can also get them without tanks for water and sewage. They are called park models and lots of them get sold every season.

I'd be willing to bet there is someone out there camping in the wilderness and all they have for equipment is a knife, one they made themselves. Then there are the people who think they are roughing it in $300,000 motor homes with hot tubs and granite counter tops. There is a broad spectrum of what people think is good and what they think is either excessive or insufficient.

No one can say what is the right degree for equipment for anyone else. If someone wants to remove the possibility of cooking, heating and hot water in the wild and decides to rely on shore utilities then that's just fine.

My idea of RV freedom includes the possibility of loading up and heading out with no reservations, no destination and no plans. I haven't done it yet but some day I'm going to head for the hills, not caring where the hills are. To enable this in my dotage, I want heat, lights, hot water, good cooking, etc. I have 2 15s in the trailer, a 5 strapped in the bed and 2 more 15s in the shed.

I'm not a true prepper but where I live we often have power outages. It is comforting to know that if the power really goes out, like it did for 6 months in Puerto Rico, I could get by. Heck, with an RV I could go to where there is power.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Make sure you maintain a safe tongue weight for stable, sway-free towing. If you completely remove two 20# tanks and associated plumbing, you're taking 60-70# or so off the tongue. A cargo box is a good start. When you're done and loaded, it might be a good idea to re-weigh the tongue to make sure you're still within the 10-15% window.

We've never plugged in our Scamp, so LP is important to us. My mom is the opposite- electric only for everything. Different strokes.

If you'd never camped before, I'd second Bill's comments about giving up some prime camping spots. But you have, so you are aware of the ramifications of your choice. In any case, it's easily reversible if your needs change in the future.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #20

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
I ordered my Parkliner without the propane tanks. I do have a generator on a tongue platform. It is much smaller and lighter than the tanks. I have only used the generator twice. Otherwise I use the electric at the campgrounds. I lived for several weeks in the trailer two years ago with no problem.
Leslie14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner, propane, vin