Removing Roof Rack and Patching Screw Holes in the Roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Removing Roof Rack and Patching Screw Holes in the Roof

In order to install two Unisolar ePV68 solar panels on the starboard side of the Bigfoot roof, two mounts for the roof rack will need to be removed. I've looked for posts on this subject but have not found any that specifically address this issue, so i have a couple of questions:

I believe the Plas-T-Cote sealing the mounts will come off just by scraping, but will a heat gun help soften it up?

Should the screw holes be patched with resin and fiberglass, then covered with gel coat? I'm thinking since the screw holes are so small that they could be filled with gel coat only.

Thanks for your ideas.
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I've patched up screw holes with two part marine epoxy, like PC-11. Never bothered to put gel-coat on top since it dries white, and isn't that noticeable.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Heat could help but I would start with a rag soaked in a paint thinner (not lacquer thinner which would attack gel coat) placed around the roof rack post for hours. It should soften the Plas-T-Cote easing final removal by scraping and perhaps heat.
Left over holes could be too big to be filled with just a gel-coat. I would use 5-10min. epoxy resin thickened with filler such as colloidal silica and sand it flat. Painting could be easier then applying gel coat, for either one color match will be a headache.

George.

1 qt. Paint Thinner-QKPT94003 at The Home Depot.
WEST SYSTEM Filler at West Marine
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #4

Registry
Thomas and George, thank you for your lightning fast replies! I'll check both of your answers out - there is a West Marine down the street that I'll visit straight away.

Regards, Roger
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #5

Registry
Marine Tex

The fellow at Redondo Marine suggested Marine Tex to fill screw holes out of all the epoxy's and cements on the shelf there. It's an epoxy putty that must be mixed and can be sanded and painted. From the reviews on Amazon it apparently works for a broad range of applications.

Amazon.com: Marine Tex Epoxy Putty, WHITE: Sports & Outdoors
Attached Thumbnails
Marine Tex Epoxy Putty.jpg