Removing shower floor in Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 05:44 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Removing shower floor in Casita

Previously filed under owners helping owners:
Replacing Polybutylene Tubing under BATHROOM
1983 Casita 16ft -- Upgrading and replacing plumbing - The Original Polybutylene 1/2" tubing with 1/2" PEX before the predicted floods occur.

BUT -- How does one extract them from beneath the bathroom shower floor ??

Can I attach PEX tubing to the water lines inside the front closet, and pull all the tubing out from the front room bathroom wall -- Dream on ?? I'm guessing that the lines are likely attached under the floor.

OR -- How does one remove the floor of the Bathroom to expose the Original water lines ???

All assistance is greatly appreciated !!!
rdwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I have a 2003 SD so I can't speak to your model year. On mine, I'm pretty sure the supply tubing doesn't go under the floor. I'm pretty sure it goes through that step-like bump out along the bottom of the front wall of the shower (along with some of the wiring). Probably goes around the back of the black tank and towards the water pump.

I'm told that the bottom of the closet is basically just laying there over the A/C, if you have one which would give you access to the closet side of the supply line.

Personally, unless it was actively leaking I'd leave the plumbing alone, at least the length that was hidden.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #3

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I have a 2003 SD so I can't speak to your model year. On mine, I'm pretty sure the supply tubing doesn't go under the floor. I'm pretty sure it goes through that step-like bump out along the bottom of the front wall of the shower (along with some of the wiring). Probably goes around the back of the black tank and towards the water pump.

I'm told that the bottom of the closet is basically just laying there over the A/C, if you have one which would give you access to the closet side of the supply line.

Personally, unless it was actively leaking I'd leave the plumbing alone, at least the length that was hidden.

Thank you Steve -- I will check out my camper layout -- BUT I have seriously considered your good recommendation to leave it alone !! I don't have any chlorine issues, unless I fill my water on the road. So maybe it will survive -- at which time I can contemplate further "distruction" of the Casita.
Your information is highly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Another thought; PEX can make a gentle curve as I'm sure you know. Attaching the PEX to the old tubing would be one way to "chase" the lines (1 hot and 1 cold) through there. I would give some thought to crimp-on fittings to make the smoothest surface to slide around. They make PEX-to-barb fittings. I'd use a bonafide PEX crimp ring on the PEX and a crimp-on hose clamp on the existing tubing. Crimp-on because of less of a "knot" compared to screw-on hose clamps. But I suppose if you use enough overwrap tape on the joint you might coax a regular hose clamp joint around the corner without snagging the wiring.

Front wall, showing the "step" in my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
frontc.JPG  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwatson View Post
.... Upgrading and replacing plumbing - The Original Polybutylene 1/2" tubing with 1/2" PEX before the predicted floods occur.....
I am wondering why the flood is predicted....

Maybe there is a history of problems with PB plumbing in Casitas?

It was my understanding that the problems that homeowners have had with PB plumbing, and the associated lawsuits, were about PB plumbing with plastic fittings. Did Casita use PB plumbing with plastic or metal fittings?

I see you mentioned chlorine. How long is the pipe exposed to water with chlorine? YMMV but my Casita plumbing system only has water in it maybe seven or eight weeks a year.

My home was built with PB plumbing with metal fittings twenty-two years ago and I have never had a problem. Of course my home does not travel.
Still, I think I might also leave it if its has not been a problem.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #6

Minnesota
PEX vs Polybutylene tubing leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I am wondering why the flood is predicted....

Maybe there is a history of problems with PB plumbing in Casitas?

It was my understanding that the problems that homeowners have had with PB plumbing, and the associated lawsuits, were about PB plumbing with plastic fittings. Did Casita use PB plumbing with plastic or metal fittings?

I see you mentioned chlorine. How long is the pipe exposed to water with chlorine? YMMV but my Casita plumbing system only has water in it maybe seven or eight weeks a year.

My home was built with PB plumbing with metal fittings twenty-two years ago and I have never had a problem. Of course my home does not travel.
Still, I think I might also leave it if its has not been a problem.

Hi Gorden -- Thanks for your response.
This is not a CASITA issue. Flooding from Polybutylene tubing is a known issue from about the 1990's.

The PB tubing becomes brittle when exposed to chlorine treated water, which today is common in most residential communities.

Lawsuits, as you know, resulted and were won outlawing the tubing.

PEX is wonderful and a great safe replacement -- it never was a fitting issue. The fittings for PEX are available in plastic or metal types. Metal fittings I believe are preferred and are very reliable, although a bit more costly.

However -- As Steve commented, Leave it alone and it will most likely not be an issue !! (Good advice !!)
Good to hear of your experiences -->>

Thanks for your comments, Gorden
Old 06-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Found this post, on Gene's Casita Forum, which discusses one member's water line replacement in front of the shower. Appears he had better luck pulling it out (with new one attached to it,) from the side dinette bench than from trying to pull it out from inside the closet.

https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard...behind-shower/
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
From what I can gather, the big problem was with the fittings, particularly acetal fittings. The extent of the link between chlorine (at varying concentrations) and failure of the actual PB pipe still seems to be the subject of debate. Many of the doom and gloom people are trying to sell something (complete replacement). And apparently it is still in use in Canada. The lawsuits resulted in payment only to those who had a leak, but did effectively make it an unmarketable and disapproved product.

But PB plumbing in a home that uses chlorinated water, especially if acetal fittings are used, is risky. Higher water temperatures reportedly make it even more of a risk than cold water. Even if a leak is rare, it can do a great deal of damage. So replacement makes sense to me. In a camper, maybe it is not so critical, especially if exposure to chlorine is sporadic and temporary. In my house, the water has no chlorine (except for the short time when on occasion the well is chlorinated). So I will not spend thousands to replace the PB pipe that uses only copper fittings).

Anyway its a risk assessment for you to decide. Sorry but I have no advice on how to re-plumb a Casita under or around the shower, although yes.. PEX is the gold standard. GL
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, vin