Renogy 100 Watt Bendable Solar Panel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Renogy 100 Watt Bendable Solar Panel

Haven't installed yet, but here it is just laying on roof. It is a little more expensive than a rigid panel, but I'm hoping the easier install will make up for it. It's on sale now from Renogy. If you order it from Amazon you don't get the sale price.

It only weighs 3 lbs and since it is made of plastic, it can easily be moved around without scratching your trailer. Notice the cables come out the top instead of bottom.

I plan on attaching to roof with 3M VHB tape although it does have predrilled holes if you don't trust VHB table. Renogy said it can be installed flush on trailer because it is white. Actually they said it shouldn't be installed on large, dark surfaces.

I've got a few things I haven't figured out yet like where to cut the hole in the roof, best way to route cables, where to mount charge controller, how to easily add a 2nd panel without having to redo cables, etc.

I think I have everything I need except the battery cables and they should be here Friday. I'm also going to cut the cables and make them the exact length I need. MC4 connectors are real cheap, so I ordered a few.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Looks good, please keep us posted on your progress. I just ordered a starter kit with a "stiff" 100W panel and assorted giblets from Renogy and it came last Saturday. I wanted it portable for now so wanted the regular panels but those flexible panels are really nice for a permanent mount on an egg. Did you buy any of the tools for the MC4 connectors or can they be done satisfactorily manually?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Looks good, please keep us posted on your progress. I just ordered a starter kit with a "stiff" 100W panel and assorted giblets from Renogy and it came last Saturday. I wanted it portable for now so wanted the regular panels but those flexible panels are really nice for a permanent mount on an egg. Did you buy any of the tools for the MC4 connectors or can they be done satisfactorily manually?
I watched a video of a guy assembling the mc4 connectors using a standard crimper/stripper. All you need to do is strip the wire and crimp the pin. Then you can use pliers or MC4 assembly tools ($6.99 on Amazon for 2) to assemble the connector.

I'd post a link to the video, but I can't find it.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd flip it around and run the cable thru that vent, drill a hole on the side vent flange and on the cover and you should have a waterproof entrance. Once inside is your problem.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I watched a video of a guy assembling the mc4 connectors using a standard crimper/stripper.
I remember the "bad ol' days" before You Tube. It is a wonder we ever got anything figured out!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I remember the "bad ol' days" before You Tube. It is a wonder we ever got anything figured out!
Still can't find the video, but here are some pictures and instructions.

How to assemble MC4 connectors | Sustainable Solutions Ltd
Old 07-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Polycrystaline and Monocrytaline cells are more subject to reduced output Than some other cells when they get hot. It is usually recommended that there be an air space below the panel to allow ventilation. Do any of you guys who have gone to surface mount have previous experience with mono or poly cells mounted with an air space? Have you noticed a difference in output on the surface mount?

This may be a bit to ask, since most of the solar posts I see involve a first install, but it would be interesting to find out. Inquiring minds, and perennial experimenters, have got to know.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Polycrystaline and Monocrytaline cells are more subject to reduced output Than some other cells when they get hot. It is usually recommended that there be an air space below the panel to allow ventilation. Do any of you guys who have gone to surface mount have previous experience with mono or poly cells mounted with an air space? Have you noticed a difference in output on the surface mount?

This may be a bit to ask, since most of the solar posts I see involve a first install, but it would be interesting to find out. Inquiring minds, and perennial experimenters, have got to know.
Renogy said just don't install on a large, dark surface.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #9

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
How much was the 100 watt solar panel.
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
DBH

Name: Greg
Trailer: '76 Trillium
Ontario
I installed the same panel purchased directly from Renogy for $199. I bought a $35 20 amp Landstar controller from Amazon to pair it with - Renogy doesn't offer any waterproof ones and I wanted to mount it to the side of the battery box. As Jim suggested, I ran the line through the fan vent then tucked under the trim and out next to the 7-way wires. 10 gauge for the long run and a short 8 gauge between the controller and battery.

I'm not sure about the poly/mono cell temp concerns. It's a 100w panel and we're only running LEDs and a Fantastic Fan off a group 27 battery. Any charge we use up at night seems to easily have been replaced by 10am the next day.

It did cost more than some options but there are no mounting holes (also used VHB tape) and you simply can't see it from the street which I like. Working great for us!

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Roof Fixed.jpg  
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
I like this idea. I have two of the folding 12's and connected them together but it's just not quite enough to charge my Eliminator Power Pack fully during the day. I will be looking into this option. Thanks.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #12

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Please keep us up todate on these thin vinyl solar panels.
AM Solar had so so reviews of similar panels over a short lifespan.
Wishing you the best.
stev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel