Renos on my boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have updated my website with renos of my boler:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/lwebb16/Boler/

Click on "2006" to see this year's updates.
LauraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler
Send a message via ICQ to Jollean Send a message via MSN to Jollean
As always your Boler is great! Do you do these reno's yourself or do you pay a company to do it?
It all looks so perfectly done!

I have sooo many questions for you about your latest mods!!! What did u use to paint under the sink?Where did you get the stove and fridge? Where do you find those cool containers that roll out like draws (above stove and in closet)....

Your trips too look like a wonderful experience. That is one happy Boler I am sure!
Jollean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #3

Registry
Hi Jollean
With the exception of welding, the fridge installation and the fantastic fan I do the mods myself - I love to putter.
I used tremclad gloss white to paint under the sink - same paint I used on the walls. It is a bit smelly for a few days but a box of baking soda left sitting in the trailer absorbs most of the odor. I painted my walls 5 years ago and they still look like the day I painted them.
I purchased the stove and fridge from International RV - the people making the new Trillium Outbacks in Calgary.
The boxes that work like drawers are from IKEA. They are called TROFAST. Ikea also sells the plastic rails for the drawers. The drawer above the stove is lined on the bottom with metal (furnace ducting) so it won't melt from the heat of the stove.
If you have any other questions just let me know - and yes, I have a very happy boler!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
It's a pleasure to see all the work you've done on your Boler - it looks fantastic! The camping and scenery shots on your website are lovely too.

Our Casita's gelcoat is in pretty poor condition, so the outside of your trailer really caught my eye. What brand of marine paint did you use? How did you apply it? Any words of wisdom for someone contemplating a paint job? It looks great, and the decals you made are the perfect finishing touch!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #5

Registry
Hi Jeanne
I used IMPERVO Marine Paint from Benjamin Moore. I applied it with a 4" high density foam roller. Gave the whole trailer 2 coats.
Words of wisdom .... hmmmm .... I don't know ... perhaps just to have patience - roll the paint slowly for less splatter and spread the paint well so you don't get any runs. You are better off to give it multiple coats than to put it on too thick. Also, if bugs land on your paint before it is dry DO NOT try to remove them while the paint is wet. Wait until it is dry and they will just come right off with no mark.
Good Luck!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Thanks for the tips Laura!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
The reno's are GREAT! I love the new stove!

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Laura, was the upholstery place expensive for cutting the cushions for you? I live just outside of Calgary and need cushions before May and it looks like I will be too busy to get to them.
Thanks,
Dave
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
your reno's are fabulous! I have to admire you woman who dig in and get stuff like that done.... I wouldnt dare....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #10

Registry
Hi Dave
If I recall correctly they didn't even charge to cut the cushions to shape for me.
I got them at Labbe Bedding just off Macleod Tr (by Chinook).
I had to take my old ones in and they just cut the new ones to the same shape.
Great place, great prices and excellent product.
I have a bad back and get a great nights sleep on the new foam.
Laura
Old 04-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #11

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Wow! Just took a look at all of your renovations. What a great job! Laura, how did you go about getting the custom graphics done? Our "new" 84 Bigfoot 5th wheel graphics -- well, let's just say they are very 1980s... but my hubby wants it to still have a Bigfoot logo. I was thinking maybe we could recreate a newer Bigfoot logo.

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #12

Registry
I did the graphics myself - I went to a sign shop and purchased the vinyl then used an x-acto knife to cut the graphics out and then applied them on the trailer.
You also can create something and have the sign company cut it for you.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #13

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Since I don't have an artistic bone in my body, I'm sure I couldn't create the graphics myself -- but your tips are helpful. We should either check into a sign shop or learn to "embrace" the "retro" look we have. Thanks!
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Laura,
GREAT RENOS! hehe I just wanted to verify though, you got the fridge from Inter. RV, so then it's a true RV fridge, a 2way or a 3 way, NOT the dorm fridge we see in so many renos? Reason I ask is Im more of a boondocker or dry camper, so the dorm fridge replacing an icebox isn't going to do much for me, and Im curious to see just how expensive/tough it is to get a real RV fridge put in. Did your Boler have a fridge originally, or an icebox?
My current rig, Compact II, has a 3 way fridge, but I have an idea that there might be another rig in my future, so I'm just trying to 'learn ahead' I guess you could say...hehe Thanks for sharing your pics and experiences with us all! Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Laura,
Very impressive mods! I love it!
I have a question about the black part on the exterior. Is that paint or some other material? It looks like those rubber covers people sometimes put on cars. We just had our Scamp painted & haven't taken it out yet but I've already thought about all the dings that we'll get on the front. You were so smart to do something to hide them!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Laura, I thank you for the lead to Labbe bedding. I have not picked up the cushions yet but I have no question they will be of great quality. What friendly staff, I would bet they are the owners which is always nice to see. Somebody else was getting cushions and new covers done at the same time too.

Thanks again Laura,
Dave
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Hey Laura,
GREAT RENOS! hehe I just wanted to verify though, you got the fridge from Inter. RV, so then it's a true RV fridge, a 2way or a 3 way, NOT the dorm fridge we see in so many renos? Reason I ask is Im more of a boondocker or dry camper, so the dorm fridge replacing an icebox isn't going to do much for me, and Im curious to see just how expensive/tough it is to get a real RV fridge put in. Did your Boler have a fridge originally, or an icebox?
My current rig, Compact II, has a 3 way fridge, but I have an idea that there might be another rig in my future, so I'm just trying to 'learn ahead' I guess you could say...hehe Thanks for sharing your pics and experiences with us all! Joe
Hi Joe
Yes, my fridge is an RV Fridge. It is a 12v model - it runs off the batteries/solar panel.
It cools very evenly and very quickly - seems like a good investment so far.
The original fridge was a 3 way and was starting to have problems ... the cost for replacement was about $1000. I looked into 2 and 3 way as well and they were basically the same price.
Laura
Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Laura,
Very impressive mods! I love it!
I have a question about the black part on the exterior. Is that paint or some other material? It looks like those rubber covers people sometimes put on cars. We just had our Scamp painted & haven't taken it out yet but I've already thought about all the dings that we'll get on the front. You were so smart to do something to hide them!
Sandra
Hi Sandra
The front is indeed rubber. I have had several people ask me what kind but I don't know - one of my neighbours gave it to me. It is relatively thin which makes it very flexible.
Adding it to the front is quite a chore as the boler curves every which direction but the end result works very well to keep the chips off the front of the trailer.
Hope this helps!
Laura
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #19

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
Hi Sandra
The front is indeed rubber. I have had several people ask me what kind but I don't know - one of my neighbours gave it to me. It is relatively thin which makes it very flexible.
Adding it to the front is quite a chore as the boler curves every which direction but the end result works very well to keep the chips off the front of the trailer.
Hope this helps!
Laura
Great stuff Laura,
I have a quick question. Did you shorten the table by 3 inches to make it easier to get into the position of sitting down at your table ?

It's a little tight for me to squeeze beside the sink counter and behind the table without my legs hitting the table each time.

Just curious. I don't want to jeapordize bed size but I do want to make it easier to go and sit down.
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Laura, I'm very impressed with what you've done. Take a bow!

Our first FG trailer was a Boler we bought in Calgary some years ago. Because we were just two, and retired at that, we took out the front bunks and put in a two-person dinette. That way we could leave our rear bed made up at all times. We loved that little unit!

But, enough about us, we came to compliment you. You've done great work with your reno. Well done! Like the others I like the plastic trays suspended below the shelves as you have done. In fact, there are a ton of good ideas on your web site. Thanks for sharing with us.
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler