Renovating the Madhouse (1975 Boler full renovation) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #15

Name: Joe
Trailer: Boler
Minnesota
These are pics of the l.p. hookup. There is a three way connecter under the trailer. One hole through the trailer in front of the wheel for l.p. and one to the side of the wheel. All electric goes through a hole right behind the wheel.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1414694114385.jpg   1414694161494.jpg  

1414694255238.jpg   1414694334934.jpg  

Old 10-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #16

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - The Haunted Mansion
Colorado
Registry
Thanks! In that second pic, what are the two lines? Is one of them a write bundle and the other the lp line? Are the lines all copper from the regulator on? Did they run all electrical under the floor of the trailer? On ours, it looks like the wiring does have an entry point on the front of the trailer, but a PO sealed up all other openings including water (city and gravity) plus the power plug.

Again, thanks for the pics! Keep up the good work!

Tony & Myka

Old 10-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #17

Minnesota
The one line is l.p.. the other is the electric hookup to the tail lights. All lines run under the trailer and come through the frame around the drivers side wheel. The lp is all copper with rubber or plastic tubing.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #18

Colorado
Registry
Thanks! Every little bit of info helps!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #19

Minnesota
Due to the foot of snow last weekend, I've been spending my time finding a permanent winter storage spot and getting all the parts I will need. My 30 watt solar panel also came in. Now it's time to get all the foam insulation off. If anybody has tips for this I would really appreciate it, however it appears that it will just take time and energy. Luckily I have both

Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #20

Minnesota
Here is the solar panel. A lot smaller than I thought it would be. About 1.5 x 2.5 feet, but it gets the job done.

Attached Thumbnails
1415932070386.jpg  
Old 11-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #21

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Joe
Foam removal: Use a a multi tool to get the upper surface off. Then clean the fiberglass with a twisted wire brush on a 4-4.5" grinder. Wear mask and eye protection. Get the foam off, old glue will be left on the fiberglass if you are glueing on other materials I don't worry about getting the old glue off the glass. I do clean down to the glass if bonding resin to the shell.
Eddie
Old 11-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #22

Minnesota
I was on the right track then. I have a multi tool that I was planning on using, but I hadn't thought of grinding afterward. I'll let you know how it goes

Old 04-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #23

Minnesota
Finally, spring in Minnesota is here and we've been able to get back to work. Over the winter I was able to get some work done on the nicer days, but not enough for an update. We had plenty of time to plan, and in doing so we decided on a few design changes. After seeing the floor, we decided to patch it up instead of replacing it. It will require me learning some fiberglass repair skills (but I'll need those later anyway). We have chosen pine wood for the cabinets, seats, and bunk. We will also be doing a bunk/bathroom which I have designed myself. Hopefully it works. We also decided to do "rib" supports instead of using the cabinets and closet for support, although it looks virtually the same. This was chosen simply so we could fiberglass in the rib supports and avoid more rivets through the frame for the overhead cabinet and closet.

Now for an update on current progress:

Completely cleared out the foam insulation using a sideways technique with a sawzall blade. I would not recommend this technique because there is still inherent risk of damage. We decided it wasn't within the budget to buy or rent a multi-tool when we had a good large oscillating blade at our disposal.

We removed all the windows, the belly band, and all associated rivets to get ready for repairing the rivet wholes and painting.

We managed after way to much work to get the body off of the trailer frame which allowed us to pressure wash the trailer. We decided that rather than pay for sandblasting and painting (again due to budget constraints) to use por-15 after some sanding to get the existing paint off. Seems to have worked like a charm.

We also made the rib supports this last week. We ended up using 3/4 in plywood to make these. We planned on 2 inch and 4 inch supports (hidden supports being 4 inches and visible supports being 2 inches). This was particularly hard because the template we had did not work for most of the supports.

Coming up next: Sanding the inside(to get the last bits of foam off and get the floor ready for fiberglass repair) and outside of the body (to get it ready for painting, and attaching the rib supports. Sanding will be done with a combination of orbital sander and detailing sander.

Some things to note: First I need to thank Sohkraites for his Haunted Mansion Thread. I have been using it religiously as a guide and it is magnificent work. I recommend anyone looking to this thread for guidance to also look at his work. I honestly would have stopped posting this thread if I didn't feel that our end products will be very different.

Secondly, we have decided that ultimately the trailers functionality and expense should take priority over beauty.Therefore, anything that can be done by myself or my wife (sanding, painting, fiberglassing, cabinet making) is going to be done by us. That being said any suggestions on how to make these processes work better/ look better are encouraged. Thank you all for checking in, and also for the suggestions thusfar.
Attached Thumbnails
20150404_172405.jpg   20150404_172431.jpg  

20150404_182138.jpg   20150404_172721.jpg  

20150404_172623.jpg   20150404_172548.jpg  

20150404_172652.jpg   20150404_172611.jpg  

Old 04-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #24

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
keep up the good work
Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #25

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Nice start. Always good to have some inspiration on such a project. Robert Johans has made some stunning renovations and his work has really inspired and fueled our project. We still have a ways to go, but each time something is done the light at the end of the tunnel shines a bit brighter.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #26

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
Do you still have your fridge and heater? If yes, do they work? I am planning a reno on my Boler and might have need of them.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #27

Colorado
Registry
Thank you for the kind words! Glad our project can provide you with some inspiration! Keep up the good work!
Old 04-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #28

Minnesota
Sorry. After keeping the everything for the winter just in case, we took all of our previous interior to the dump last week

Tags
boler