Renovation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Renovation

Anyone know of someone who does renovations to these trailers? I found a place called "The Eggplant" in Oregon but I live in Ohio. I found a nice little Scamp I would like to buy but I am not too handy myself.
inthecurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Andrew... what EXACTLY do you need done? These all molded towables are pretty simple. They all use essentially the same windows, appliances, etc.

Can we help with your rehab?

Remember, as long as it's safe to go down the road (lights, axle, tires) you can treat it as a hard-sided tent until you get everything "up to snuff."

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #3

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I have some concerns the floor may be rotted. Time and know how are the issue. Where do I get parts?
inthecurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
RV Parts? Google is your friend, honestly. NONE of the all molded towables build anything other than the body, frame and interior cabinetry. Everything beyond that comes from some other manufacturer... including AXLES. Windows, sinks, stoves, frigs, hinges, vents, lights (exterior and interior) etc., etc.

We can help
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #5

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Try a local Handyman. Or someone who does boat repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Donna and Conrad,
You guys are wonderful, so full of information!
Your advise is always good and right on the money! I never thought about getting a local handyman to do some work on my fiberglass Scamp!
Thanks for the advise!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Buying an FGRV, and then paying someone else to do major repairs, will almost always come out costing more than buying a good one in the first place.

FGRV "Fixers" can be a great opportunity to save some money and build a rig back to what the new owner wants, but can also be a money pit if much of the work has to be farmed out.

Give us some more info about what you are looking at and the approximate asking price.

As far as repair sources, stick with someone who has proven RV experience. Boat peeps should be OK, but like everything else in the water, cost a lot more than expected. Basic def of a boat: "A Hole in the Water you throw money into".....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #8

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Old fiberglass boats have lots of rotten plywood parts so a boat shop would have the skills.

As someone said above you in all likelihood can buy an already restored trailer for less (probably a lot less) than buying a fixer-upper and paying someone $40 or $50 an hour to fix it up for you.

Buying already restored, you see exactly what you are getting before you buy but don't really know the quality of the parts you can't see and you get it restored the way someone else wanted it.

Restoring it yourself or paying someone else you get exactly what you want and the quality level you are willing to pay for but at a significantly higher cost.

I don't know how "unhandy" you are but these trailers are simple things and there are lots of step by step stories on the internet describing how to replace a rotted floor. Lots of knowledgable and willing helpers here too.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not any closer but clients from all over the country
Specializations | Gilmay RV
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #10

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
If you take your time and shop around you could easily find a good deal on a more or less complete camper. I originally intended on refurbishing a truck camper and found a very nice deal on another one. While I intend to complete the fix'er up'er I am happy to have a complete one and I use all the time. I've been living in it testing out systems and refining it, but mostly showering in my house. If you are not handy, you might be better off selling it to someone who is and buying something more complete. Or else you can learn to do things on your own. Set modest goals and make forward progress every day, even it is something little and you will be done in time.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I bought my Trillium for $500 12 yrs ago. I have been planning to fix it for the same amount of time and have been using it all the while. It really has nothing inside except an apartment refrigerator.

I have finally began to start the project. I had the axle replaced and now the frame is in the process of sandblasting and painting. The part that scares me the most is the fiberglassing but I will somehow get it done. I'm not going for original I'm going for what makes me happy.

It is scary to look at the project and think how do I do that. You should see how I have my body supported waiting for the frame to get back, yes people are laughing at me. If I mess it up I'll just have to redo it. You can't screw it up to much. I would be completely lost and afraid without the guidance provided here. Now if I could just get some of you over to my house to help me do the rest.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote