Repainting Boler Ensolite with a Way Out Idea? - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Name: Tracey
Trailer: Boler 13'
British Columbia
Repainting Boler Ensolite with a Way Out Idea?

I have read on this site as well as other online sites, about painting with a melamine paint or even a bathroom latex paint, like Perma White by Zinsser or Kilz. My fear is even paints of this nature are no guarantee of possible flaking or peeling with heat, cold and wet conditions I rather not ever paint and live with grubbby colour ensolite, if it's going to peel away.
BUT.... has anyone been brave enough to try a RV rubber roofing latex elastomeric type paint with low VOC, like Exlixr, Dicor, to name some brands. They can withstand -30 to 160, are washable, can be painted on most surfaces, even foam surfaces.
Let me know if anyone has been crazy enough to try a rubber type paint, what brand and if the paint could be smelled inside the trailer on a hot summer's day??
I may be just crazy enough to try it myself in a small hidden area.

Please be kind, as I did say, "way out" idea. Good idea or very bad idea.

spacey_tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Humm, haven't read anything about it, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't done it!

It's really more than just "smell." Be sure to check out the MSDS profile for anything "usual" you want to apply to an interior surface. You're breathing that air for a long time, it needs to be safe for interior use.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
When we picked up our 1978 Boler, it looked like the ensolite was painted with a latex paint. It also had the popcorn ceiling texture as you would find in older homes.

We are doing a complete rebuild and very glad because of how bad things were. The ensolite was really nasty under the paint, had mold where water leaked and was just degraded from 30+ years. When you paint over you're only masking likely problems underneath...

I understand you may not want to strip away the ensolite and put new insulation and new fabric (like the one Scamp uses in their trailers and also sells)...but if you can, you'd be much happier in the long run.
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Name: Tracey
Trailer: Boler 13'
British Columbia
Thanks Donna.
Nothing worse then breathing in toxic air...could wake up with a third arm one day! lol
I'm looking for easy fixes to brighten my grubby ensolite without going the household paint method. Rubber rv paint just made sense when I thought about it. Now I will do my research first, about using it in a small space.
spacey_tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Commercial Member
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
I've painted 5 different bolers over the last 7 years with kills 123 as prime coat and a good acrilyc top coat and have never had it peel
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
As others have suggested if you use a really good primer such as Kilz under your paint you should have no problems with it failing. Many a boler has simple been painted with a good primer and acrylic latex bathroom paint without any problems. If you want something that stands up to more scrubbing you might consider using an oil based paint. I would not use Melamine Paint as it is a bit hard to work with and its really meant to be used on very smooth surfaces. I have found it can be scratched easier than I would like and that often results in it chipping and peeling - especially in high contact areas. I have never used it in a trailer though so YMMV. Would think that the rubber paint would be a very smelly and expensive way to go.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote