Repairing a Leaking Hehr Jalousie Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Repairing a Leaking Hehr Jalousie Window

Talked with some very nice folks at a teardrop trailer company (Vintage Technologies) who convinced me I should stay with the Jalousie windows in my 1971 Boler...they referred me to Vintage Trailer Supply to get the correct seals for my Hehr windows.

Trying to trace down the leak yesterday it appears several of my rivets may not have grabbed well on the inside of the fiberglass. I put the rivets in from the outside through the window then through the fiberglass shell. I believe the rivets were for 1/8" to 3/16" thickness so maybe I need to go with some a little thicker so they won't pull through the hole. I suspect that may be where my leak is coming from, will check that out later today. Will also replace the torque bar operator as even when the crank is turned as far as it can to close the window the window panes will lift open slightly.

Dis-assembly of the windows were pretty easy, and re-assembly wan't to bad either. I did one at a time so I could use the other one as a reference when re-assembling them. But the issues I did have were with the fit of the seals. I got the seals from All-Right Manufacturing's Conyers GA location, about $70 worth of various rubber seals & gaskets to complete 2 windows. While I got the correct style of seals I didn't think about the parts of the seals that slide into the tracks not fitting or the glass pane seals being to thick and that was a problem on reassembly. I had to trim some seals with a razor so they would be thin enough to slide into the tracks/channels. And the glass panes did not want to go into the aluminum frames as that seal was to thick too. So I got samples of the various seals for Hehr windows on the way to check their fit with my windows before I order them again.

Any input on the seals, rivets, torque bar operator or solving leaks in general would be appreciated! Oh, and before I forget I will not use silicone caulk for any leak repair!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are rivets called "peel rivets" that expand a little more and have been recommended for use in fiberglass. I put a dab of Proflex RV sealant on rivets before inserting them, a little on the hole too.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Often you need to get a slightly longer rivet and use a washer of the same size as a backup.
Make sure there is someone on the inside to push the washer tight against the wall.
SS screws and elastic stop nuts with washers would be even better.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote