Replace rat fur - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

Name: Devin
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Replace rat fur

Hello everyone I am a new owner of a Scamp 13 I purchased for my daughter. I intended to do some remodeling but DD has informed me that the rat fur has to go so it has turned into a complete remodel. Looking around the forum I have learned that it has to be replaced with some kind of carpet would something like this work Boat Carpet Replacement - 16 oz Cut Pile Marine Grade Boat Carpet? I hope the link works

Old 08-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom59 View Post
... the rat fur has to go ...
Y ?

Old 08-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Y ?
I will second the Y?

We have seen lots of folks new to these trailers jump in and rip out the rat fur only to wish they hadn't.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #4

Indiana
She hates the color and texture says it's like fingernails on a chalk board to her. It's actually loose and yucky in spots so something needs to be done. Also she claims it's not very hippyesk
Old 08-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #5

North Carolina
Actually it is very hippyesk but no one her age knows the first thing about hippy cuture

But if its yucky.. clean it before you trash it. maybe a good automotive upholstery shop. And 3m spray adhesive will adhere it.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Her reaction is not all that uncommon to those new to the trailers.

I would recommend that you use some 3M Super 90 glue to tack it back up and suggest she uses it for a year before deciding if it really needs to go. The rat fur is actually a marine grade product that stands up well to wear and does not retain moisture or smell so it is far better than any other product that you might find reasonable priced to replace it with.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #7

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
FWIW. If you dislike the ratfur that much sell the trailer and get a trailer with a liner you like. When the trailer is built the ratfur is installed and all the cabinets are installed over the rat fur. Removing the ratfur and installing a new liner is a major,major job. Cleaning and reattaching the ratfur is usually just a minor task.
Eddie
Old 08-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #8

Indiana
I agree that it doesn't bother me but I need to replace all the rusty bolts and rivets also she wants to paint it so I only want to do this once
Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #9

North Carolina
Well, individualizing the campers is sacred to most owners.. just suggesting that both of you do your research before making a mistake. Good Luck with the project.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #10

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well, individualizing the campers is scared to most owners.. just suggesting that both of you do your research before making a mistake. Good Luck with the project.
Sacred? Scary?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #11

Indiana
I found something called hulliner in a silver that she might like. As for it being a major job that's not a problem since I completely rebuilt my 1980 Honey and I also spent 5 years as a technician with a local RV dealer. I can put it in the garage and have all winter to get it ready
Old 08-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #12

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
If you've spent five years as an RV tech, why are you asking a bunch of strangers on the Internet for help?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #13

Indiana
Mainly because I have never worked on remodeling a scamp before and also I value other people's opinion who have more experience with these. I never claimed to be a master know it all I just made the point that if necessary complete disassembly of the trailer isn't something I'm afraid of if that's what I have to do so it's exactly what she wants when it's done.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #14

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Hi Devin,
I replaced the carpeting (ratfur) in my 88 Boler. I have had lots of great advice from this forum, but almost everyone tried to dissuade me from ripping out the rat fur.
I gutted my trailer to undertake a big reno anyway so I went ahead with the carpet replacement. when i removed the old carpet I kept each piece and used it as a pattern for the new pieces I cut. I used exterior carpet glue that I bought from a local flooring retailer. I used a small prybar and a scraper to push the carpeting back behind the cupboards. putting tje pieces back into the cupboards was not as hard as I thought it might be. The cieling was the most difficult (gravity can be a challenge) but i used clamps at the roof vent and worked slowly.
Everyone asks "why bother?" and for us it was simple, the carpet was disgusting. It had mouse urine and feces, it smelled awful and honestly we didn't like the colour. I replaced the carpet in my house after I bought it, why not in my trailer?
We are so glad that I replaced it. The effort was worth it for our trailer. It was about 3 full days of work and had its challenges but I would do it again if I needed to. If you are handy, you have the time, and you want to replace the carpet, go for it.
If you want to see pics, check out my "Boler Voyageur 1300" posting.
Best of luck, and as my Dad always told me, you can do anything if you set
your mind to it.
Jay