Replace stock 2 burner? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Replace stock 2 burner?

I have the old style Suburban SD2 (as it seems most Scamps do). The whole time I've had this trailer I assumed some day I'd fix the ignition. I went to look at replacement parts and see there is no ignition to fix!!!

What have people replaced the SD2 with that has peizio or electric (12V) ignition? And ideally, stainless finish (or second choice, plain white). Ideally with a similar cut out size and installed dimensions. (Cut out: 16 3/8" W x 11 5/8" D x 3 1/8")

This one came up in discussion the other day, but I'm not sure I'm ready to loose my silverware drawer and it's also not cheap.

Smev 8000 cooktop hob

This one is very pretty and super cheap, but perhaps too large to fit (Cut-out: 20-1/2" x 15-1/2", so 2" bigger in each direction, don't think that will fit) and it seems Amana has dropped the product like a hot potato. I see them no where else and Googling for Amana RV products produces very little. An abandoned product it seems.
Amana - 2 Burner Drop-In - Price: $99.00 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

Atwood's 2 burner seems to be match lit too. Looks an awful lot like the new Suburban? Same thing?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We installed our own push button ignition on our Scamp 2 burner stove using an ignitor from a gas bbq grill. We bought it at Menards , it was fairly inexpensive
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Amazon.com: Weber 7510 Igniter Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 07-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #4

British Columbia
So, you just install two of those?

I was able to order the older style SD2 "top assembly" in stainless for about $30. So that and a few peizo units will be a lot cheaper than a new stove!

Yay, thanks all.

That said, I'll still take any suggestions for any super cool full stove replacements!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dylan, probably the cheapest (other than RV wrecking yards, Craigslist and eBay) is to buy from a company that purchases in volumes. Have you checked out the Scamp parts store? Perhaps the stove they offer will use the same cutout size? Everything is about trade-offs. More money, less drawer space, etc. It's about your needs and wants...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Dylan, probably the cheapest (other than RV wrecking yards, Craigslist and eBay) is to buy from a company that purchases in volumes. Have you checked out the Scamp parts store? Perhaps the stove they offer will use the same cutout size? Everything is about trade-offs. More money, less drawer space, etc. It's about your needs and wants...
Scamp does have the new style SD2. I guess I was hoping for suggestions like the SMEV covered one, clever and interesting. Not cheap so much. Getting a new, better matching material "top assembly" and adding a few igniters is a good cheap solution, but it's not particularly fancy.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
or just pick up a BBQ lighter from a dollar store, work great and if they do fail, they're $1. They are also portable and work on the furnace, coleman stove, coleman lantern and of course the BBQ
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #8

British Columbia
Thanks Dudley!

Thanks Dudley!

Seriously however, that's basically what I use, but one I find is really nicely made, reliable and collapsible. If not cheap and doesn't work as consistently up at 7000+ feet as I'd like.

POCKET TORCH XT | Products | SOTO

Works great for the most part, but I'd just love to simply turn the dial and get a flame.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear

Scamp does have the new style SD2. I guess I was hoping for suggestions like the SMEV covered one, clever and interesting. Not cheap so much. Getting a new, better matching material "top assembly" and adding a few igniters is a good cheap solution, but it's not particularly fancy.
Would love to hear we're you can purchase just the top assembly??

I have camped at 9000 feet & had no problem lighting the stove with a BQ lighter
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Would love to hear we're you can purchase just the top assembly??
I called Dometic, they confirmed there where 8 of the old style tops in stainless in stock. They suggested some dealers I could order from. Central Trailer is down the street from where I'm staying so I made an order in their local shop, but I think they are a national distributor too.

The stove manual has the part number for the various colors (white, tan, black, stainless I think?), for the 2 burner and 3 burner. I can find the part number for you if you don't have your manual. Just let me know the stove and color you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have camped at 9000 feet & had no problem lighting the stove with a BQ lighter
Yeah, I have a cheap "jet" lighter that seems to handle higher altitudes than the Soto. The Soto specs state a high alt. limit, I think 7k. And a Bic always lights.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Does anyone know if you get the whole new cooktop is it a direct fit or does the propane line need to be moved?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote