Replaced the shared exterior wall in my shower. Sealed up window too. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Bryan for sharing your photos on this project. I have a 92 that developed a leak around the bathroom window during a big storm down south - which closed down the camp ground. I am going to have to take the window out and reseal it as well. Hoping not to have to replace the wall but will see what it looks like when the window is out.. As far as I know it only leaked that one night.

I took a photo of mine so you can see what a 92 looked like from the factory. You can also see were it leaked on the left of the window. The wall covering on mine is just a sheet of countertop arborite. As you can see in the photo there is a small amount of caulking at the top at the rat fir and down the sides there caulking as well but only a fine bead of it. All neatly done.
Attached Thumbnails
92_Scamp_Bathroom_Window.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Raya, we think alike! I don't mind that it was moved - being a moderator at any website is hard work. I just find it funny because I actually spent a couple of minutes trying to decide what forum to put it in.

Carol, thank you for that picture. I guess the plastic trim caulked to the rat fur was factory. I thought for sure that it was a previous owner that did that. It does make for a difficult replacement job since the caulk does not come out of the rat fur. When you replace the window seal (super easy), I'd be curious to know if your Reflectix is cut away from the window like mine was or does it come all the way to the window opening? I'm jealous of your bathroom. A sink and your window looks brand-new compared to mine!

Quote:
I can see why Bryan would have chosen the former category. Not that it's a big problem, but maybe if the word "fixes" were removed from the description it would be more clear that it's to ask about how to take care of problems rather than to show how you have taken care of them (that's what "share...fixes" suggests to me and I guess to Bryan too).

Raya

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
What throws me off a little on yours is the covering - yours does not appear to be laminate which makes me wonder if it was done again after the factory. Hummm.

Will let you know about the reflectix when I take the window out. I was wondering about how you went about getting the window out. Are all the little screws that are visable on the inside only holding the screen? Once the screen is off will I see the screws that actually hold the window in place ? or are some of ones that are visable on the inside without the screen off actually holding the window in?

Do not be jealous of the sink! I am actually thinking of taking it out. Last owner put the sink in but it makes the bathroom feel that much smaller and hard to turning around in. The main sink is only 3 steps away! The trailer was in pretty good shape when I got it - kept mostly undercover and it had only two other owners and I do not think that either used it much or that it ever did any real camping - from what I understand they mostly used it to go and visit their grandchildren. Not much of any wear and tear showing on anything. Only needed a few rivets replaced, new tires and a good polish. Its had a bit harder life in regards to real camping since its been with me though!

Carol

Quote:
Carol, thank you for that picture. I guess the plastic trim caulked to the rat fur was factory. I thought for sure that it was a previous owner that did that. It does make for a difficult replacement job since the caulk does not come out of the rat fur. When you replace the window seal (super easy), I'd be curious to know if your Reflectix is cut away from the window like mine was or does it come all the way to the window opening? I'm jealous of your bathroom. A sink and your window looks brand-new compared to mine!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
When you replace the window seal (super easy), I'd be curious to know if your Reflectix is cut away from the window like mine was or does it come all the way to the window opening? I'm jealous of your bathroom. A sink and your window looks brand-new compared to mine!
Hi Bryan had time for some trailer repairs this week-end. Took the bathroom window out and the cut out of the Reflectix around the window was way larger than the window opening by about 5".

Carol