Replacement cushion/mattress options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Replacement cushion/mattress options

So after a few trips out i've noticed that i'm not the biggest fan of the cushions in my Trillium, they are nearly 40 years old and the foam is due to be replaced.

I've been looking at options - and am currently considering a DIY approach, i believe i'll be going with about 4 inches of foam, and am considering layering 3 inches of Lux-HQ foam with a 1 inch layer of super soft foam on top. The top layer having a density of 1.2 LB/Cubic foot and the bottom firmer stuff being 2.8LB/Cubic foot. (another option is doing 1 inch of 1.2, 1 inch of 1.8 and 2 inches of 2.8)

I haven't seen many threads addressing this subject which either means there is one really common approach that i'm missing, or most people have more comfortable beds than i have. What have others done?

I've been browsing from Foam Canada, Custom Cushions, Acoustic Foam Panels, Mattress Canada - any personal experiences in shopping for this?
dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: 1969 Boler
Saskatchewan
Dale, how run down is "run down"? We cut out a memory foam mattress and will be using it as a "pillow top" for our bed. My understanding is that foam is ridiculously expensive so we didn't do much research in replacing them.

Good luck
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
They are present, not falling apart - but foam has a life expectancy that has long since passed. Laying on my back if fine, but on the side is not pleasant.

I'm looking at a total cost of about $150-175 for the foam from the link i attached above with free shipping depending on which layering option i choose to go with. Add in some quality spray adhesive and the project is expected to cost me about $200.

I'd rather not have to carry around a topper for the bed if i can avoid it, we recovered them last year and could make adjustments if necessary to fit new foam.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
My suggestion would be to explore 4-6 inch memory foam mattress toppers. The one I bought was memory foam laminated onto a high density foam. I bought a king size and chopped the pieces I needed and couldn't be happier. Cost was about $150

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I picked up a foam mattress from Ikea, duel layered and 120mm thick instead of the 100mm norm. Cut out the cushions my self and had them recovered. Worked out fantastic.
Material Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #6

Name: Rae
Trailer: Boler
Ohio
Curious-what's the best way to cut foam?
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Curious-what's the best way to cut foam?
serrated blades are the best for it - they make Olfa ones that cut it like butter - just watch your hands - if you get yourself with one of those its going DEEP.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I used an electric carving knife with good results.
Haven't had any use for the knife since.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #9

Name: Kimberley
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
I love this! I will look into buying a king sized 4" mattress topper to use for the new foam. Having someone recover them is the expensive part, unfortunately. I may do someone's earlier suggestion and lay the foam on 1/4" plywood and just wrap the fabric around and staple it to the plywood. This way I can change out the fabric every few years too. ��
K.L. Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Glenn has the best idea, electric carving knife. We've cut foam several times with one. Works great
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Tennessee
walmart sells a cheep foam mattress in all sizes... it may be too thick

but it is a real comfortable mattress.
madduckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #12

Name: Danielle
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
Hi I just finished my cushions with new foam I used 4 inch firm from the Foam Shop. Note If you bring the old cushions in to make new ones make sure you have the complete measurement of the bed space. They shorted me 1 inch (1/2 inch each side) which resulted in a 4 inch gap. I doctored it with an additional 4 inch cushion to make the bed snug without any gaps. When up in the dinette it is not noticeable only I know. The 4 inch cushion will come in handy for supporting other things as well. This should be quite comfortable if you prefer a firm feel.
danio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #13

Name: Danielle
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
Oh by the way the Foam Shop cost me $300 with free cutting for firm 4". I found the frabric at Fabricland in Surrey BC at a deal of $6.50 per meter. Pictures will be posted soon.
danio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #14

Name: Chris
Trailer: Hunter Compact II 1974
Nevada
Any suggestions for toppers that are memory foam alternative. Not enjoying memory foam at all. Considering putting the topper uner the cushions so I still have extra padding.
ChickOStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #15

Name: Billy
British Columbia
Replacement cushion/mattress options

Quote:
Originally Posted by danio View Post
Oh by the way the Foam Shop cost me $300 with free cutting for firm 4". I found the frabric at Fabricland in Surrey BC at a deal of $6.50 per meter. Pictures will be posted soon.

What kind of fabric did you get? I'm in the process of researching new cushion options. I was thinking of replacing the covers myself.

Also, was that $300 for just the dinette cushions?
billyeh is offline   Reply With Quote