Replacement cushions/covers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: 1985 Burro 13'
Oregon
Replacement cushions/covers?

We desperately need new cushions in our Burro. I am a beginner seamstress. After watching some YouTube videos, I could *probably* make the replacement cushions, but I think it would take me quite a bit of time and maybe a few tears!

Has anyone made replacement cushions for their camper? I heard that, for Scamps, you could just buy new ones directly from Scamp. They wouldn't be quite the same dimensions as the ones I need for a Burro, though, right? Is there anywhere else that sells cushions that would fit a Burro?

I'd love to hear what others have done!
just mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mary I sewed the ones for my Scamp and after I added up all the costs and time, I probable should have had someone do them for me. I made mine with boxed edges and the piping (which I made) and put extra long zippers on them. I suspect they would be much easier to do without the piping and I see some people are doing simple roll over front edge which may also make the process a bit easier.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Take your measurements and then go on ebay and type in RV Cushions. Several different sizes and styles will come up. Currently there is one particular RV Surplus guy who has flooded ebay with cushions and he charges exorbitant prices for shipping. Make sure you check shipping prices and that it includes foam. Still much cheaper than other sources.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #4

Oregon
Thanks for the ideas so far. I saw that one woman replaced her cushions just by using a plywood base with foam and batting and then wrapping the fabric around it and stapling the fabric to the bottom of the plywood. Kinda the easy way out, but may be a cheaper alternative. It doesn't look nearly as nice as the box cushions with piping, though.

Here's what she did: How to make easy vintage trailer dinette cushions
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Following are my directions for making bed-topper cover. The directions are essentially the same for cushions. You will want to use heavier fabric and will, therefore, need a heavy duty machine. Most home sewing machines will not work. You can prepare the fabric and hand baste it and then give it to a person who does alterations such as your local cleaners, where they have a heavy duty sewing machine. When you pay someone else to do work it usually costs a lot. Feel free to contact me privately if you want further discussion.

The mattress topper cover project requires intermediate sewing skills. You make a pattern by tracing the space for the cushions (I used a roll of brown shipping paper)in the trailer. Fold the pattern in half lengthwise and cut down the center. This is your mattress topper pattern. For the cover pattern you need to add 1/2 inch seam allowance all around. Note: you do not need to cut the top and bottom fabric exactly because you pin and baste directly onto the cushion and you can trim the excess later. READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE STARTING.

Cut (with electric knife or a standard serrated bread knife) the cushion material to the exact size of your pattern (without seam allowance). You will have two pieces. If you need to glue pieces together to make the size you need, use contact cement. Note: Once you put the pieces together they are stuck forever! Place the ends carefully.

I used a 100% cotton knit (think T-shirt fabric) pre-shrunk (Wash and dry on hot setting). Be sure to purchase lots more fabric to allow for shrinkage. I made pillow cases and other things using the remnants. I used two 24" zippers for the ends of the covers. For the sides cut long rectangular strips of fabric to the depth of your pad adding 1/2 inch seam allowance. Cut one top and one bottom for each cushion with seam allowance.

Using a queen-size bed as your working "table" place the bottom fabric on the bed, then one mattress pad, then the top fabric. Make a strip with the zipper sewn in.(this in where sewing skills come into play) Pin the side strip in place; bottom first, then the top. Leave a 24" space at one end for the zipper . Pin zipper strip in this space. Baste all around (This is an IMPORTANT step). When satisfied with fit, remove cushion cover and sew (a regular straight stitch machine works but a "serger" would be better as it cuts and makes finished seams. The knit does not unravel, though). Trim seams, turn it right side out and you are done!

Feel free to contact me further for clarification if you like.

Happy Camping!
Gilda
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 Casita Freedom Deluxe
You might want to check out this link,I have personally purchased 2 sets of cushions covers from the Scamp factory and found them to be excellant quality and was told they we made locally for the Scamp so your going to get "Made an USA" instead of something made in some far away place.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-27506.html
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

Oregon
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order a bunch of fabric today. I went to JoAnn's and found some indoor/outdoor fabric I liked, then found it much cheaper on fabric.com, along with a coordinating fabric for curtains.

When you guys are doing the replacement cushions, is the foam 4" thick? The foam in the Burro is super thin - maybe 2"? I'm sure it's been a little flattened over the years, but I don't think it was ever very thick. I don't want to go crazy, but I want something that will be thick enough to sleep on. Do you think 4" is the way to go? Also, any specific type of foam? I see there are tons of options - natural ($$$, but likely less toxic), or quick dry, or...?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by just mary View Post
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order a bunch of fabric today. I went to JoAnn's and found some indoor/outdoor fabric I liked, then found it much cheaper on fabric.com, along with a coordinating fabric for curtains. ......
I recently bought some nice Sunbrella fabric on eBay. I only mention it as I wouldn't have thought to look there, and the prices were great..
Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

Oregon
Thanks, Tom, I will check ebay before I order.

Has anyone found cheap(er) places to purchase foam? That stuff is expensive!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #10

Registry
Home Depot has some reasonably priced foam.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #11

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
There is foam and there is more resilient foam I spent$100 and found it wasn't firm enough for 2 seat cushions. Just saying do a little research before you purchase
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
There is foam and there is more resilient foam I spent$100 and found it wasn't firm enough for 2 seat cushions. Just saying do a little research before you purchase
The stuff at Home Depot looked pretty good. I've done a few cushions in my time. It was only about $20 for I believe 24" x 48". It struck me as a pretty good deal.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #13

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
You might go to the bottom dollar surplus eBay store, from time to time they have surplus cushion sets. You can get some that is larger than you need and cut with an electric knife. You can also get spray cement to glue pieces together. I got a set of six for about $40 shipped(no other bidders) we just put it under our bed cushions to make a firm bed. It was nice and firm.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote