replacement refridgerator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
replacement refridgerator

Hi all

I just installed a door, to the front of a removable Dometic refer, it is a 3 way. It was put into the 13' Bigfoot trailer, we have owned for the last 2 years, by the PO. It sits on a slide out drawer, the PO removed the wheels that are on it. it has an extension handle like on travel luggage. I could take it out. and hook it up to a 120v outlet. It is hooked up to the gas line now, with a 12v cord and a 120v cord, available when needed. I thought some might like to see these pictures of what is available!
Attached Thumbnails
0418121355.jpg   0428121809.jpg  

0428121810.jpg   0428121812a.jpg  

Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Kenny... that's bad a_ _ !!!!

sweet job!!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Kenny nice looking job, I have one like it but a different brand. My only thought is if you are running it on propane where does it vent ? On 110v I don't think you would have any problem. Is there an outside vent on the trailer ? By the way I used mine on a trip to Alaska 6 years ago in a conversion van, when I had it working on propane I left it outside.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

Utah
Tim Yes the trailer has a bottom and top vent they are about 6"x 24" the venting came std. with the original fridge.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Thumbs up

Kenny, In that case excellent job all around. Great solution to a problem many will or do have.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Very nice installation but I am confused as to how you allow for the refrigerator to move. Do you have a flexible propane connection? How about flexible duct work to keep the combustion gasses out of the living space? This is very interesting. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #7

Utah
fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Very nice installation but I am confused as to how you allow for the refrigerator to move. Do you have a flexible propane connection? How about flexible duct work to keep the combustion gasses out of the living space? This is very interesting. Raz
Raz

there is the std. copper line coming into the compartment, to an on/off valve. A rubber hose 3' long connects the valve to the fridge. When the shelf and door are pushed back into the cabinet the space around the door and the cabinet face frame has a foam weather striping that seals the cabinet shut there is a latch at the top, and bottom to hold the door firmly in place while traveling. The opening is 21"wide by 22"s high. the shelf is 1-1/2" Baltic birch plywood. two 1/2" thick pieces glued together. with an Acuride drawer glide. The fridge is a Dometic RC 4000 it is just sitting on the pull out shelf. there are feet on the front of the fridge which sit into opening cut into the shelf, the wheels that are at the rear bottom of the fridge have been removed, the fridge sits on its bottom. The fridge stays in place because of the feet being trapped in the holes cut to accommodate them. The fridge can bounce up against the stove above. I could place some solid foam pieces on the underside of the stove bottom, and it could be in contact with the top of fridge when closed.

Later Kenny
Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #8

Utah
the door is attached to the shelf with dowels. there is an aluminum 1/8" angle screwed to both the top and bottom of the shelf, then screwed to the back of the door. the dowels are glued into the door, and not into the shelf, making the door removable. The fridge is then able to be lifted out.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Again, nice install and certainly easier to service than mine. Your propane and CO detectors will tell you if things aren't tight. That would be my only concern. There are a number of folks with older trailers that can no longer find a fridge to fit in their fridge space. This might be an option. Thanks for sharing. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote