Replacement screws - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

Name: Becky
Trailer: ECO 1973
Oklahoma
Replacement screws

I'm replacing a side window and would like to use ss screws. What kind and size do I use. Thank you
BeckyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Hi Becky,

Take one of your old screws out and take it with you to the hardware store to compare and get the right size. Lowe's handles some stainless steel fasteners. Having said that, if the screw hole is "eaten out" or deteriorated I sometimes go with the next size up in diameter. Be careful about using a longer screw that could go all the way through to the interior of the trailer. I also like to dip a screw threads in the window caulking (you will be using fresh caulking to seal the window) to make sure the screw hole is sealed.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyK View Post
I'm replacing a side window and would like to use ss screws. What kind and size do I use. Thank you
Hi: BeckyK... Be careful using S/S screws. You'll have dis similar metals and could end up with a corrosion issue. If you do use them, also use thin nylon washers to isolate the screw heads from the window frame.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Assuming your camper windows were assembled similar to vintage Boler 13s (rivets or sheet metal screws into raw fiberglass), you could use relatively short (maybe 1" pan head sheet metal screws). Alternatively you could use machine screws paired with nylock nuts and washers. This alternative would address the problem of dealing with various sized holes in the the fiberglass.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #5

Name: Becky
Trailer: ECO 1973
Oklahoma
Thank you Becky
BeckyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #6

Name: Carri
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: BeckyK... Be careful using S/S screws. You'll have dis similar metals and could end up with a corrosion issue. If you do use them, also use thin nylon washers to isolate the screw heads from the window frame.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Please tell me what nylon washers to buy - repairing windows on "78 Trillium 4500
Carri in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carri in Ontario View Post
Please tell me what nylon washers to buy - repairing windows on "78 Trillium 4500
Carri, They are available at Home Depot. Match to the size of screws used:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pau...ers/1000418599

It is worth noting that I replaced the screws around the windows on one of my Trillium about four years ago with 316 screws. I did not use nylon washers. I have not noticed any corrosion issues, but better safe than sorry.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Here in the US, for almost any part, I check Amazon and eBay. In the case of screws, to do the windows in a Trillium you are talking several hundreds of them. Buying at a local home improvement store tends to be pretty expensive.

On screws, I find eBay is the cheapest, I buy several different lengths of #6 and #8 SS screws, Phillip head. A bag of 100 can be around $6.50.

Now in Canada, no idea which will be cheapest.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #9

Name: Carri
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
AND
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Here in the US, for almost any part, I check Amazon and eBay. In the case of screws, to do the windows in a Trillium you are talking several hundreds of them. Buying at a local home improvement store tends to be pretty expensive.

On screws, I find eBay is the cheapest, I buy several different lengths of #6 and #8 SS screws, Phillip head. A bag of 100 can be around $6.50.

Now in Canada, no idea which will be cheapest.
Thanks David and Bill.
I am hoping to order from Amazon as home depot SS screws don't seem to be sold in quantity and are very expensive.
There are SOMANY screws - but I think the sizes are standardized enough that I can figure them out. The nylon washers on the other hand...I cannot figure out the sizes...each list thickness, OD and ID.AND measurements listed in metric, inches OR decimal inches. :-P
Carri in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I post links to Home Depot because they are easy to search. But when I want to buy a large quantity of screws or other fasteners, I go to Calgary Fasteners & Tools:
https://www.calfast.com/search?contr...uery=fasteners

I can never find what I'm looking for on their site, but I take an example of what I am looking for and they produce a box of 100 for as much as Home Depot charges for 10. The only down side is they are mostly open during business hours, (when I'm at work). They are open 8am till noon on Saturdays, but that means I have to get up early. There are three of them in Calgary. There is likely a comparable store near you.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
ACE HWD carries a good selection of stainless screws. They sell by the piece or you can buy a box. The boxes usually contain 50 or 100 screws. The boxes are in the rear of the bin. I don't waste my time at Lowe's or HD for stainless hardware.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carri in Ontario View Post

Home Depot sells a black powder coated screw in their deck / railing section that does the trick.

I found my post that gives the part #
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post600917
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote