Replacing an Axle - leading arm to trailing arm - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #29

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
Quote:
3 thoughts come to mind.
Since the kitchen floor is 3" lower than the bottom of the frame you would have to raise the trailer a little too high to get everything to work under the trailer with a straight axle.
If you used a "drop" axle (the spindles are higher than the axle), ground clearance would be in the 4-6" range.
3rd reason is that the frame ends at the door. One may not have enough room for shackles unless you are using really short springs.

1 question Roy.. Is there a reason you didnt have bolt on brackets welded onto the trailer for mounting the new axle, instead of welding it back ??

I'm having a #9 w/brakes put on my Casita next week, But in addition I'm planning on having brackets that can be welded on then the axle can be bolted on so that if for some reason it needs a axle it would be much easier for a do it yourself job...is my line of thinking

Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #30

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
1 question Roy.. Is there a reason you didnt have bolt on brackets welded onto the trailer for mounting the new axle, instead of welding it back ??
I did have the bolt on brackets welded onto the trailer. If you order a new axle with the bracket option, the brackets are bolted onto the axle at the factory. If you look closely at the pictures in post # 5 of this thread, you can see them. It helps to know what you are looking for because they are all black like everything else.

As far as I am concerned the brackets are good insurance if one ever has to replace an axle again, or worse yet, the frame.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
Quote:
I did have the bolt on brackets welded onto the trailer. If you order a new axle with the bracket option, the brackets are bolted onto the axle at the factory. If you look closely at the pictures in post # 5 of this thread, you can see them. It helps to know what you are looking for because they are all black like everything else.

As far as I am concerned the brackets are good insurance if one ever has to replace an axle again, or worse yet, the frame.

cool ... I misunderstood thanks..
Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #32

Ontario
Actually it was a good catch Phillip. I reread my post and I didn't mention the brackets in the specs or any where else. Thanks for pointing it out.

On second read I did mention it. Dexter or Cerka calls the brackets the "hanger kit". Sorry I just copied the specs off the original order or final bill.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #33

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler (Corneleus)
I finally got a search to work!!!!

We are in the process of rebuilding our frame from scratch, which means the axle too!!! WE are currently debating the torsion arm versus leaf spring options. Since we can modify the frame the way we need to to make the axle work its best. Is it a big adjustment to make it a trailing arm axle vs using leaf springs?

Also has anyone taken their little trailer for a test drive/camp with leaf springs?

Things are slowly trudging away

Cheers

Ursula
Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #34

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I think torsion axles are generally considered to be a "step up" from leaf springs, aren't they? Better damping, if I understand correctly (unless one puts shock absorbers on the leaf suspension).

Raya
Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Yes, that's my understanding too Raya. Leaf spring require shock absorbers to work similar to torsion axles... which have the "shock absorber" has built in due to the rubber.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #36

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
Roy, I'm about to order an axle similar to yours and have a question. The dimension that they require for the mounting bracket is to the outside of the frame, this also sets the outside edge of the angle that comes with the axle. My question is the width of the angle on the axle. I'm concerned that they have a dimension of 1 1/4" from the outer edge to the centerline of the supporting bolt. If this is the centerline of the horizontal part of the angle, then it must be around 2 1/2" wide (my assumption). My scamp has a main tubular frame width of 1 1/2". The way I see it, the vertical part of the angle will extend 1" past the inside of my trailer frame edge, which will run into the dropped floor side, making for much cutting and modification. If the axle bracket is only 1 1/2" wide, it should slide in without a problem. If the axle bracket is wider than 1 , I will adjust the outside edge dimension so that the inside vertical part will line up with the inside face of the trailer frame. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Dan
Old 09-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #37

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
Never mind, I found the manufactures site and a detailed drawing of the bracket.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #38

Ontario
Quote:
If the axle bracket is wider than 1 ", I will adjust the outside edge dimension so that the inside vertical part will line up with the inside face of the trailer frame.
That's essentially what I did.
Since you found the diagrams on Dexter, I'm posting this for others that might have the same question. The mounting bracket is 2" wide and add 1/4" for the side mount hanger. That makes each bracket 3/4" wider than your frame. Total width (outside of brackets)will be 1.5" wider than the outside of your frame.

Now if you are doing it like me "switching from leading to trailing" don't forget to allow for the height of your dropped floor. Dexter does make a 3" high snowmobile bracket but that was just not enough clearance beneath the floor to allow for the bend in the axle tube for camber.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #39

Name: Karl in Elmira ON
Trailer: Boler 1300-76
Ontario
Registry
Roy, do could you PM me the original two measurement graphics from your forth post here? I've saved images from the post but they're not very clear. :v/

Thx,
Karl :v)

Tags
axle