Replacing Dometic RM2607 - now discontinued - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: Paige
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Question Replacing Dometic RM2607 - now discontinued

The Dometic RM2607 refirgerator/freezer in my 17ft center bath Bigfoot has died. My trailer is a 1994 and the fridge is original to it and will need to be replaced. Unfortunately, my trailer repair guy tells me that the model in my trailer, a Dometic RM2607 has been discontinued, and in fact, I can only find signs of it on one or two websites - both with a very high price of approximately $1700.

He suggests we install a newer model DM2662, which is the closest replacement size Dometic makes - but this will require cutting into the cabinetry both in height and width by an inch or so to make it fit. Also, the main door frame on the trailer will need to be removed then reinstalled so that the slightly larger fridge can fit through the door and into the trailer for installation.

My question is this, is there a reliable RV/Trailer appliance dealer that isn't necessarily found by typing in RM2607 into Google? Perhaps someone who I can call? I hear that there is still an existing inventory of the RM2607 out there - but they are getting hard to find. It would be great not to have to cut my cabinets and remove my door frame. I can only imagine what this is going to cost to ensure ice for my cocktails and cold beer. Ideas?
Paige C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
My Dometic replacement chart shows a RM2607 at 49-9/16H x 21-7/8W x 24D. The current replacement fridge is the RM2620 at 49-1/2H x 21-3/4W x 24D; or very slightly smaller. The replacement charts intentionally do that so that major mods are not required. A Dometic RM2662 is much larger.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

Name: Paige
California
Thank you Vic. I'm going to do some heavy research. Really don't want to alter my trailer.
Paige C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Here's the replacement chart.
http://dometic3frontend.qbank.se/epi...2fc4ea2393.pdf

I know similar charts exist for replacing Dometics with other brands.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Can you get a back unit for your original frig. Last year a friend had to replace the back unit on a larger refigerator in a 5t wheel.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #6

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
I feel your pain....

you didn't say what exactly was wrong with the fridge....

that suggestion of replacing just the "guts" behind is a good one....or even going to a different cooling system and installing it in the back...

can't imagine anything wrong with the "box" itself (I have a CB model too...a 97)....when my fridge (three way) started acting up (going on "check")....I was lucky enough to find a RV repairman that does housecalls !!! nice guy too...turned out it was the control board that had gone south....he went to his truck and found me a 2 way board and front panel from another Dometic in a scrapped trailer....I just abandoned the 12V function (wrapped the wires up) and that was it...

might be worth making a few phone calls to RV dealers etc...you might get lucky.....fridges are so expensive that parts from them are usually stripped and kept when RVs get scrapped

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
fridge.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #7

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
one more thing...forgot...

have you thought of going with a much smaller fridge and using the extra space for something else?

just throwing that out there because I always thought our fridges were way too big for a trailer that size....a model like in the G model would be just fine for me....in fact a smaller fridge like that, at eye level would be perfect....and the extra space would just be a bonus
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Just replace the cooling unit!

Paige;
You may want to just replace the cooling unit!
I have the same model and ordered up an Amish replacement cooler unit.
<http://www.rvfridgehouse.com/CUPricing.htm> (Not the Amish unit)
While it is not a trivial job, it is not difficult. There are YouTube videos showing how to do it . I did a write up on my project in this usegroup. Search on my name. This was several years ago.
The job took about 9 hours (Spread over 3 days) and involved sliding the fridge into the trailer, tilting it onto the floor and working from the rear of the fridge.
The price for me in Canada was more than you would pay (I think you could do it for $600 - maybe less with return of the old unit).
I did also, previously, replace the Dometic control board with a Dinosaur Replacement (<http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/MICRO_P-711.htm>) which is better with several features.
This may seem overwhelming, but any handyman could get it done with the info available on the Internet - especially YouTube.
As I said, this was several years ago and this fridge has worked perfectly since then.
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote