Replacing door latch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13' front bath
California
Replacing door latch

I have a 2016 Scamp 13'. I want to replace the standard door latch assembly,
(which Scamp should have replaced a long time ago) with a flat door lock. I have a Fastec Industrial 43610-00 TIC travel trailer lock with deadbolt. I need mounting information including dimensions as to where to locate the new lock and manufacture a new strike plate. Any information you can supply would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
robt-the-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:12 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I don't have a Scamp Robert but I agree with you that an update on the Scamp from the factory would be a benefit. You may be on your own as to figuring out the design and installation because of door thickness and what not. Post some good pics of what you come up with to help others . Good luck to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have seen several threads with exactly that modification, and there were pictures of how they redid the striker, etc.

Try a "Site Search/Google" (bottom of the search menu) to find them. Here's one:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-59814.html

I bought a spare OEM lock set from a member who had just done that mod, but he is no longer active on the forum.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
replacing the lock

I had an A-Liner with a real crummy lock I ordered a Fastec but after really thinking about this lock business aren't locks intended to keep the honest people out? A criminal with a crowbar can do untold damage in a few seconds in a house let alone a camper.

There are things I don't like about my 13f lock but have decided to work around it with a new pin for the inside mine didn't have that and just deciding to live with it!

I look at my 13f stevie as just one step up from a tent so I don't keep valuable in there. We keep clothes a few other things and that's it!

good luck on your decision

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
robt-the-red

I've done that EXACT mod and it was a NICE change and one that I canNOT figure out why Scamp doesnt change from the old "bread truck" door locks.

Here's some pics ...let me caution, you do NOT need an elaborate "striker plate" that I show. A simple "L" shape and screw it straight into the fg panel there at the door will work fine....maybe with a wooden backing plate inside the closet. But this is my method and the FIC latch which has worked WONDERFULLY!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57643963773193

Darral
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Robert, one thing that I did when I cut the door for the latch, was to apply fiberglass resin to the new hole so that if any water ever were to get past the latch seal, the door core material would not absorb it which would cause swelling and straightening of the door curve. This mod was done long ago on our previous trailer, but you can see pictures of this mod by clicking on our avatar name, then from our profile, open our mods album (there are two, one for our Scamp, and one for our Lil Snoozy).
Best of luck with your mod....we really enjoyed this mod.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We were in Backus about 10 days ago to pick up our new 16. They are working on a new handle assy. set to be standard equipment on the 2018 models. We tried to get it on our trailer, but they wanted $300 extra for it, unfortunately ours was already built, and would require a whole new door ($600). For models 2017 and older, the service dept. will do the conversion and it will cost $600. At least that was what we were told. There are a few Scamps out there that have the new doors due to warranty repairs. Maybe they will post pictures?

We saw an example on a new trailer in their lot labeled "Sales Dept". Really nice! There is a square well molded into the door where the handle sits, completely flush. I wish I took a picture, but members picking up their new trailers will soon be posting them. There are a few Scamps out there that have the new doors due to warranty repairs. Maybe they will post pictures?

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #8

Missouri
money

I am one step up from a tent to an A-Liner to the 13f scamper. I guess at 16k for a new one 600 wouldn't be much seems rather steep to me of course I am a misor!

I guess its whatever you want for me I feel secure with the little pointy thing put in from the inside. now storing it would be a different story I see those campers just setting there and I have to wonder how many get broke into?

bob
Old 10-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #9

Name: Ms. Bruce
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Pictures of new door lock

I had a warranty issue with mine and this summer they replaced my whole door and latch. It’s awesome!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
04CB793A-0899-4C34-A666-7EDD81E1BF3D.jpg   8BC7A1A8-58AA-49F8-A226-A1CDF207426B.jpg  

Onthrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #10

Missouri
wow

classy looking but your whole outfit looks great!!

bob
Old 10-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ms.Bruce, is it possible to get a couple of shots of the latch view inside the Scamp? I'd love to see their "striker" plate. (And a close-up of the hinge? I guess we'd have to put you on a salary to collect all that data huh? ) Anyway, kudos to Scamp because that looks VERY good.

And dig those hinges! I went and viewed their website and nothing is on there yet about the hinges OR lock. Maybe soon.

This is a moot point as far as ownership, but for the sake of comparison, I'm curious as to how they handle the "thickness" of the overall latch. Most of us that did the 'mod' had to use spacers and now they have a cavity to set that same latch in. Looks neat though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthrvr View Post
I had a warranty issue with mine and this summer they replaced my whole door and latch. It’s awesome!!!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Are the hinges different, too? I'd love to see a close-up of them as well.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Did this 13 years ago... still works perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
door latch 002.jpg   June 2009 115.jpg  

June 2009 114.jpg   June 2009 116.jpg  

June 2009 118.jpg   June 2009 117.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13' front bath
California
replacing door latch

I want to thank all of you who responded. David. Darral and Floyd your pictures are going to be a great help. I want to especially want to thank "Jon in AZ" for teaching me how to use the "site search" correctly, very helpful! I can't wait to get started. I will send pictures when finished.
robt-the-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
We were in Backus about 10 days ago to pick up our new 16. They are working on a new handle assy. set to be standard equipment on the 2018 models....

We saw an example on a new trailer in their lot labeled "Sales Dept". Really nice! There is a square well molded into the door where the handle sits, completely flush...
Between the new latch, new hinges, and new door mold, that's a major change and big news in the Scamp world! Thanks for the heads up, Tom!

I kinda like the quirky, old "bread truck" handles. I'm sure the new ones will be more functional and allow one-handed closing from the inside. But more expensive- the price of progress.

I'm more curious about the hinges. They look like they might spread out the stress better. Wonder what they're made of and how they will weather (thinking of Parkliner's peeling, rusting hinges...).

The rate of change at Scamp has been dizzying in the past few years!
Old 10-24-2017, 07:36 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
"The rate of change at Scamp has been dizzying in the past few years!"

We were admittedly distracted by picking up our trailer, but I was so dizzy; I didn't even notice the new hinges! I was derelict in my duties, failing to take pictures of the new handle and hinges. Mea Culpa

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Between the new latch, new hinges, and new door mold, that's a major change and big news in the Scamp world! Thanks for the heads up, Tom!

I kinda like the quirky, old "bread truck" handles. I'm sure the new ones will be more functional and allow one-handed closing from the inside. But more expensive- the price of progress.

I'm more curious about the hinges. They look like they might spread out the stress better. Wonder what they're made of and how they will weather (thinking of Parkliner's peeling, rusting hinges...).

The rate of change at Scamp has been dizzying in the past few years!
The "dizzying" pace of change at Scamp should stop the complaints I remember reading in the past years about Scamp stagnation. I get the impression that they only make careful, slow changes to improve things, and that's good. Nothing worse for any business than making changes for the sake of change alone.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #18

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Nothing worse for any business than making changes for the sake of change alone.
Yeah, a lot of the time an "improvement" is made to a old reliable product so you'll have to buy a new one or the "improved" version will need replacing sooner.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Those complaints were never really well-founded. Scamp has always made incremental changes, punctuated by a few really big changes (like the post-fire increase in the Scamp 13 height). In truth, people complain mostly because Scamp doesn't make the one change they really want. Like the big bed option in a 16' standard model.

I complain because they make changes without warning, and sometimes the old stuff becomes almost instantly unavailable, like a particular fabric, the old oak finish cabinet doors, the bi-fold screen door, or sliding windows. If someone is anticipating a future modification or repair it would be nice to order matching parts before they go away.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #20

Missouri
my rug

our rig a 95 scamper 13f is perfect. sometimes I want a bath especially for the quartzite adventure but plans are forming in my mind to make it work with out the b/r.

I know this sounds crazy but we have learned to make do with a 44in bed sounds impossible doesn't it? All our cookin and heat gear runs off quick disconnect propane.

we don't use dishes everything disposable cookin gear simple wipe off stuff we do not camp to put on a show for anyone. we camp for the shear enjoyment of life a simple life.

We know we do not have an estate on wheels hats off to anyone that wants that it just doesn't fit our life scheme. We have camped in Europe for 6 weeks at a time with even less!

Take my word for it as you get older things get very simple money becomes important!!

good campin to everyone

bob