Replacing ensolite in Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #15

Name: jan
Trailer: 1972 Boler
New York
Yes. As a matter of fact, we thought about that, then wondered if we could just put the Grizzly grip over the ensolite--I wonder if it would dissolve it.. As I said, the ensolite is really in bad shape, but if it's going to be sealed and covered, it might work as just the insulation filler...we're going to see if we can get a sample of the grizzly grip and try a small piece, see how it works. Our biggest worry is the off-gassing... have to see what happens. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #16

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
janony, I was going to suggest putting over your ensolite, but you said it was all carved up. and i'm not sure what you would do about the seems? other then fill them in with caulk like everyone else does? then spray or roll? over that with grizzly grip? I was thinking maybe the caulk would shrink like ppl have complained about and it would split the grizzly grip to?

but if you do this please let everyone know it would be a real help to know if it works or not.

the ensolite on our boler is close to perfect other then the seam covering that has shrunk and gone all wiggly. so we don't know if i'd want to spray stuff over it and potentially ruin it. and have to start over again. i'd rather put that bubble foil stuff down then spray on that, and if that didn't work out we could maybe go back to the original ensolite and new seam covering trim.

anyways, hope it works out. I just noticed that grizzly grip place doesn't show the white or cream colour now for the Aromatic type indoor spray on stuff... it shows all the colours on the main page i think it was but then when you go order the stuff the light colours are missing/no longer sold? be something to call them about. they sell a pint sized bottle of it for 14 dollars I think it was, not sure if they'd give you a sample or not since that small size is available for sale?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #17

New York
Yeah, I hadn't thought about the shrinking. THe ensolite is pretty carved up, but we were figuring on sealing with silicone. We had a Scamp a few years ago (made the mistake of selling it for a bigger when the grandkids started coming with us) and I'd done the seams with silicone without problems, but I've heard others complain about the shrinking. Some of the seams on this camper seem to have been sealed with butyl, and I can't tear them apart--but they did such a rough job that I can't really leave them that way either. The more we talk about it, the more we're leaning toward just doing the grizzly over the bare fiberglass with no other insulation. We don't have AC, only camp spring and fall, and others have said that the condensation really isn't a problem at those times. So I don't know. Will definitely keep you posted on what we decide though. I did find some places to replace the ensolite--RAAMaudio has 1/8" at a decent price--but then fitting, gluing, and hoping the grizzly doesn't dissolve it...so much to consider...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #18

Sarnia, Ontario
janony,

spring and fall, thats what we do. We wouldn't go without insulation at that time of year. those are the months it colder. your heater will run just about constantly. I really think there will be more condensation in the trailer then you think. maybe not physical drops of water but I'm sure it will be damp on cold enough nights/days.

also, you have to figure noise. Myself personally, I hate noise especially noisey ignorant ppl, haha. so I would want to insulate just for that.

I'd really be looking into it further, maybe talk to more ppl that have no insulation in their trailers or read up on it if there is info on the subject. you'd hate to do it and regret the decision. can't really go wrong with insulation to be honest. would be awful to do all that work and find out you want to insulate. you won't be able to get that grizzly grip off, so you'd have to go over it with insulation then re-spray/roll grizzly on again. it would not only be terrible to do it twice because it will be a big job i'm sure, to do it right anyways. but it will also add more weight to the trailer if you did it twice also.

something to think about anyways,

good luck
Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #19

New York
I'm with you on the noisy ignorant ppl; I can barely tolerate the ones that aren't noisy or ignorant: LOL

I've been researching the bubble foils, single and double bubble. I also came across a product called Prodex, sold by insulation4less.com. It's a closed cell foam instead of air bubbles. Seems like it might be less likely to compress from loss of air over time, might be more durable. I can get a 300sq' roll of ecofoil (double bubble foil) from Amazon for $125, free shipping; this Prodex comes in 200sq' for $118 (including S&H). So it's a little more expensive, but might be worth the cost? If anyone has experience with either, I'd be interested in hearing advice. Also, we figured we could just about cover everything (except floor) for about 200-250 sq feet--others who have done this, is that about right?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #20

Name: Normand
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Why not the floor!!! An R15 floor would make it very comfortable. That Prodex would be perfect as it is nearly not compressible.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #21

New York
Guess we never figured we needed it. We never had anything on the floor in the scamp we had except regular floor covering with a throw-rug over it. I've been researching insulating and sound-proofing, and from what I've read, in all reality, anything that's only 1/4" thick or so has very little temperature insulation value (some of the foils claim more, but the fine print is that they only insulate more if they have space on at least one side of them). As for noise, the denser product (the prodex) has better noise reduction than the bubble-foil. We actually did plan on insulating under the bed (we're making the dinette a permanent bed and adding a mini-dinette in the front where the sofa was). Not sure what we'll do under the cabinets or dinette yet. But in reality, we'll only have about a 4 x 4 floor, and I was going to put a throw-rug in over the laminate we were putting down--so that would probably be as good as having prodex on the floor--and I can deal with damages far more easily...
Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Home Depot sells a carpet underlay that has been used for trailer insulation. It is called Eco Foam. It is light, closed cell, recycled, low VOC. The cost is not too bad either.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #23

New York
This sounded great--but I just checked Home Depot's site and it's no longer available. Couldn't find it anywhere else; maybe they stopped making it. I will have to check some carpet places I guess. Right now the Prodex is sounding about the best...
Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #24

Sarnia, Ontario
Exclamation

janony,

that prodex stuff looks like it will cause you problems in the areas you need to bend the product around corners/curves in the body.

check this out. look at all the creases that form just with a slight bend. I really don't think this stuff is a good idea unless its on a flat surface only. should see if you can get a sample and try and curve it to the corners of your trillium and see how many creases form. i think it will be really bad in those areas and be useless. unless maybe you are going to cover it with a carpet over that. or something. but if you spray grizzly over this, you'll see those creeses for sure.

here's a sample photo:

Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
It may be heavy and not exactly closed cell, but I have thought that neoprene would work.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #26

New York
Hi Joel,
I had seen the pic of the Prodex, and I know it will wrinkle, but the bubblefoil would too. I think just about anything would. Maybe the grizzly stuff isn't the way to go, although I've heard that it does fill--I saw pics of it used over a rough floor and it was smooth. You put it on with a roller. They sell pints for under $20; might be worth trying it before I go the whole deal.
Dave, I've thought about neoprene too, but it's more expensive than the ensolite, and then there's still the seam issue. It was a great suggestion though. We're committed to doing something; we took out the old ensolite yesterday, and I have to say I'm not sad to see it gone...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #27

Name: Sandi
Trailer: 1978 Surf Side
Manitoba
Ensolite Replacement

Janony

I am very curious as to what you have decided to use instead of the ensolite?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
One thing to be aware of is the ensolite provided some cushion space between the trailer and the interior part such as the bench seats. No experience with FG trailers to guide me but..... I think you might want to avoid a really tight contact between things that are connected to the floor and against the walls in order to avoid stress on the fiberglass from trailer flexing.

Maybe some thin padded tape or something between wall and things like the seats, cabinets and closet. Just to provide a little "give".

Tags
trillium