Replacing floor coverings - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #15

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Quote:
Hi: We are new 3rd owners of a 13' Boler... Previous own. had shag in loose lay...I pulled it out and cut a paper pattern of the floor area...2" smaller than area to be covered...I used my large square for the straight lines and a block of 2x4 for the rounded lines at back of the dinette...when pattern is done mark top side on the patt. and flip it over,,,mark under side on bottom...We purchased a remnant of Berber @ local Carpet One dealer...It was marked $35. and when we went to pay he said make it $20...WE ran b/4 he changed his mind and took it home...Flipped it upside down on the basement floor and with patt. marked bottom on the carped put pencil lines on 2" wider than mark on patt. and cut on these lines with a razor knife... Flipped it over and slid it in the Boler....AHHHHH perfect fit...Loose lay can be removed turned over and bang out the camping dirt.. Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hi Alf,
Thanks for your input. I like this idea, too!
David

Old 09-29-2006, 09:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Hi David,

I just put in a new floor last night. Here's my story.....

Last week I bought a 2000 Scamp 16 in great shape. The in/outdoor carpet is in very good condition and I wanted to keep it that way; also, I like the wood look. So, I bought a 5x8 bamboo rug at the Sam's Club ($35) and cut it to fit the Scamp floor...took about 1.5 hours. Put it right on top of the carpet. Turned out great! If interested in the details let me know.

Michael
Although I'm not quite there, yet; my intention is to install a bamboo hardwood-type floor. My initial research has found it priced any where from $2-4 per sq.ft, which would be prohibitive except for the fact that the egg's actual floor area is so small, I could cover it with cashmere if I wanted. Your idea of the bamboo rug cut-to-fit is very interesting. Could you post a photo? Thanks a milliion.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #17

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
I plan on using Bamboo flooring from Ikea. I purchaced one box from their as-is section for ten bucks. I hope to find another "as-is" box so I can do the project, I really don't want to have to cough up the 48 bucks for the second box.

cheep-cheep!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 85 Casita 16 ft and 2000 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Although I'm not quite there, yet; my intention is to install a bamboo hardwood-type floor. My initial research has found it priced any where from $2-4 per sq.ft, which would be prohibitive except for the fact that the egg's actual floor area is so small, I could cover it with cashmere if I wanted. Your idea of the bamboo rug cut-to-fit is very interesting. Could you post a photo? Thanks a milliion.
Hi Kristi,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been in the North Carolina mountains for the last few days. Fall is fast approaching, the leaves are just beginning to turn and a nip is in the air!

I'll be happy to post a picture and give you further details this evening. Of course, I say that never having posted a picture before. Wish me luck.

Michael
Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
<<<We recently discovered the carpet floor covering was wet after some heavy rains and located, I think, the source of the water entry. Failed silicone caulking around the fridge and water heater vents.>>>

Once again silicone has caused problems. When will folks learn to stay away from that stuff.

I bought a roll end of woodgrain, foambacked, cushioned linoleum from Home Depot, and put it in mine. It is so comfy to walk on. I hope that I can add a picture tomorrow.
I have enough left over to do my Class B+ van, so that I can take out the old tacky tan shag out of it !!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #20

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and offering many wonderful suggestions. Once we get a new floor installed, I will post pictures
David
Old 10-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Our 74 Trillium 1300 still has the original orange lino which is starting to curl up around the sides. It also had a burn spot in the centre, which we cover with a round green rug. We've been thinking about bamboo flooring, but we are hesitant to pull up the old lino as we're not sure how uneven the floor will be.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #22

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Our 74 Trillium 1300 still has the original orange lino which is starting to curl up around the sides. It also had a burn spot in the centre, which we cover with a round green rug. We've been thinking about bamboo flooring, but we are hesitant to pull up the old lino as we're not sure how uneven the floor will be.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Yup!

On our '84 Scamp the only plywood I had to replace was the small piece next to the door.

However after pulling the vinyl linoleum that had previously stuck down with copious amounts of contact cement the floor was certainly not too even. The screws that secured it to the frame had also rusted off, so the plywood was a bit "bouncy". I don't think you could ever expect this kind of floor to be very even. As you tow down a rough road, there must be quite a bit of flex in the chassis, so any seams are bound to open up and accumulate dirt/debris which will cause uneveness.

I used a floor leveling compound from Home Depot after cleaning all the contact cement residue off. The compound is a paste-like substance that you trowel on. It dries quite quickly and is easily sanded flat. I used a quarter sheet sander (Makita) with 50 grit paper and a vacuum hooked up to the sander.

Once that set up, I just painted it with grey floor latex. I haven't gone any further than this because I see potential problems with about any kind of floor covering. Wood is visually enticing, but not too desireable in our damp climate; carpet is nice feeling, again not too practical in our damp climate; vinyl seems practical until it curls at the edges, etc.

So we just have a couple of throw rugs placed where needed and repaint the floor when it begins to look too dowdy. This is not a final solution, but workable.

After seeing this series, I am going to check out the bamboo mat. Another idea is a poly olefin carpet bound at the edges like a throw rug that you could roll up and hose off in the driveway when needed.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor

Click image for larger version

Name:	lite_Hse.in_002.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	5101
Here is the cushioned vinyl I put in mine.