Replacing floor coverings - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Posts: 30
Hi Everyone,
We are new fgrv owners with a 17' widebody Burro. I have enjoyed reading some of the forum topics and have already learned so much from all of you. I'm hoping to learn more.

We recently discovered the carpet floor covering was wet after some heavy rains and located, I think, the source of the water entry. Failed silicone caulking around the fridge and water heater vents. The carpet was stained and not very good looking to begin with so we tore it out. We had planned to replace it anyway, the removal just took place sooner than expected.

Now my question; What should we replace it with, and why? Per W. has already offered some very good insight and suggestions through a pm, but wanting to see what alternatives might be available and draw on experiences from the group. We are considering a pergo-type floor covering as it is easy to keep clean and swept. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks
__________________

__________________
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Tom Trostel's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Posts: 1,300
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I put maple laminate from Sam's in our Compact Jr. It has worn very well, is easy to clean, and shows no wear yet. It was not hard to install. We like the light color as it makes the small area seem bigger.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=70829465

Tom Trostel
__________________

__________________
1980 Bigfoot 17' & former owner of 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Posts: 1,125
my new floor just replaced with the pergo laminate flooring....



Name:   new_floor_back_view.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  8.5 KB



I didnt want it put under the table tho....
__________________
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Member
 
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Posts: 30
Quote:
I put maple laminate from Sam's in our Compact Jr. It has worn very well, is easy to clean, and shows no wear yet. It was not hard to install. We like the light color as it makes the small area seem bigger.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=70829465

Tom Trostel
Tom, thank you for your response. I really like the look and I know we would like the ease of cleaning. How is it fastened down?
__________________
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Member
 
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Posts: 30
Quote:
my new floor just replaced with the pergo laminate flooring....


Attachment 5005

I didnt want it put under the table tho....
Christi, thank you for your response, also. This floor is also very beautiful. Same question, how is it fastened down? Why not under the table, seems like this would be easier to clean than carpet etc?
__________________
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 725
I just paint ours with a good floor enamel. When it gets a little rough looking, I just sweep it , sand lightly with 50 or 60 grit and roll on a new floor. Takes about an hour.

We also have a couple of throw rugs strategically placed.

Another thought:

If our Scamp floor would completely rot out, I would likely replace it with one of the plastic decking materials. I don't even think I would be terribly concerned about small gaps between the plastic boards. The greatest downside is they are pretty heavy.

Oh, by the way, how much does a stack of Pergo weigh that would be enought to cover a 16ft Scamp floor?
__________________
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jeanne and Steve's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Posts: 454
Registry
Hi David,

Here's a link to a previous thread re. flooring that you may find of interest (if you haven't already read it).

We put a laminate oak floor in our Casita and truly love both its look and ease of cleaning. Our floor is a couple of years old now, and we haven't had any problem with it. However, a carpenter friend of ours told us that it can develop problems if it comes in contact with moisture. Another member of this forum recently wrote in that his pergo type floor swelled up in response to water and would need to be replaced. So, if you put in a floor like this, be sure to wipe up any drips/spills quickly!

Jeanne
__________________
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
Member
 
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Posts: 30
Quote:
Hi David,

Here's a link to a previous thread re. flooring that you may find of interest (if you haven't already read it).

We put a laminate oak floor in our Casita and truly love both its look and ease of cleaning. Our floor is a couple of years old now, and we haven't had any problem with it. However, a carpenter friend of ours told us that it can develop problems if it comes in contact with moisture. Another member of this forum recently wrote in that his pergo type floor swelled up in response to water and would need to be replaced. So, if you put in a floor like this, be sure to wipe up any drips/spills quickly!

Jeanne
Hi Jeanne,
Thanks for your input and pointing out the previous thread. You are right, the possibility of moisture has been brought to my attention, and would be my only reservation. But I do like what you all have shown me with your own projects using this type of floor covering. I know the pergo-type floor coverings require some expansion room around the perimeter (and that's without the introduction of any moisture) as the product expands and contracts with humidity changes.

I'm going to wait til spring I think before installing the new floor (whatever we choose), to see if there are any more leaks.
David
__________________
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #9
Member
 
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Posts: 30
Quote:
I just paint ours with a good floor enamel. When it gets a little rough looking, I just sweep it , sand lightly with 50 or 60 grit and roll on a new floor. Takes about an hour.

We also have a couple of throw rugs strategically placed.

Another thought:

If our Scamp floor would completely rot out, I would likely replace it with one of the plastic decking materials. I don't even think I would be terribly concerned about small gaps between the plastic boards. The greatest downside is they are pretty heavy.

Oh, by the way, how much does a stack of Pergo weigh that would be enought to cover a 16ft Scamp floor?
Hi Loren,
I would guess the pergo to weight less than 100 pounds.
David
__________________
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 85 Casita 16 ft and 2000 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 6
Hi David,

I just put in a new floor last night. Here's my story.....

Last week I bought a 2000 Scamp 16 in great shape. The in/outdoor carpet is in very good condition and I wanted to keep it that way; also, I like the wood look. So, I bought a 5x8 bamboo rug at the Sam's Club ($35) and cut it to fit the Scamp floor...took about 1.5 hours. Put it right on top of the carpet. Turned out great! If interested in the details let me know.

Michael
__________________
michael harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Tom Trostel's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Posts: 1,300
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My flooring is installed like the instructions for home use. Foam underlay was placed on the existing floor. Pieces of laminate were cut to allow 1/4" open space between new flooring and walls. Quarter round was mitre cut to cover space between floor and walls. The only place the new flooring is attached to the original floor is where the wood screws hold the pedestal cups for the two table legs.

We've had no problems with moisture. We've tracked in water, spilled coffee, etc. Of course, we live in a dry part of the country.

Tom Trostel
__________________
1980 Bigfoot 17' & former owner of 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:48 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,815
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
We are new fgrv owners with a 17' widebody Burro. I have enjoyed reading some of the forum topics and have already learned so much from all of you. I'm hoping to learn more.

We recently discovered the carpet floor covering was wet after some heavy rains and located, I think, the source of the water entry. Failed silicone caulking around the fridge and water heater vents. The carpet was stained and not very good looking to begin with so we tore it out. We had planned to replace it anyway, the removal just took place sooner than expected.

Now my question; What should we replace it with, and why? Per W. has already offered some very good insight and suggestions through a pm, but wanting to see what alternatives might be available and draw on experiences from the group. We are considering a pergo-type floor covering as it is easy to keep clean and swept. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks
Hi: We are new 3rd owners of a 13' Boler... Previous own. had shag in loose lay...I pulled it out and cut a paper pattern of the floor area...2" smaller than area to be covered...I used my large square for the straight lines and a block of 2x4 for the rounded lines at back of the dinette...when pattern is done mark top side on the patt. and flip it over,,,mark under side on bottom...We purchased a remnant of Berber @ local Carpet One dealer...It was marked $35. and when we went to pay he said make it $20...WE ran b/4 he changed his mind and took it home...Flipped it upside down on the basement floor and with patt. marked bottom on the carped put pencil lines on 2" wider than mark on patt. and cut on these lines with a razor knife... Flipped it over and slid it in the Boler....AHHHHH perfect fit...Loose lay can be removed turned over and bang out the camping dirt.. Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #13
Member
 
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Posts: 30
Quote:
Hi David,

I just put in a new floor last night. Here's my story.....

Last week I bought a 2000 Scamp 16 in great shape. The in/outdoor carpet is in very good condition and I wanted to keep it that way; also, I like the wood look. So, I bought a 5x8 bamboo rug at the Sam's Club ($35) and cut it to fit the Scamp floor...took about 1.5 hours. Put it right on top of the carpet. Turned out great! If interested in the details let me know.

Michael
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your response. Another great idea!
David
__________________
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #14
Member
 
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Posts: 30
Quote:
My flooring is installed like the instructions for home use. Foam underlay was place on the existing floor. Pieces of laminate were cut to allow 1/4" open space between new flooring and walls. Quarter round was mitre cut to cover space between floor and walls. The only place the new flooring is attached to the original floor is where the wood screws hold the pedestal cups for the two table legs.

We've had no problems with moisture. We've tracked in water, spilled coffee, etc. Of course, we live in a dry part of the country.

Tom Trostel
Hi Tom,
This is very encouraging, thank you!
David
__________________

__________________
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing the floor? peterh Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 19 01-21-2010 06:09 AM
Wall Coverings Mike Whitney Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 11-17-2009 10:00 PM
Replacing Burro floor Mike Shackelford Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 09-17-2009 05:52 AM
About repairing or replacing the floor or frame . . . peterh Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 03-24-2008 08:54 PM
replacing rotted floor section Isaac Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 12-10-2007 07:59 AM

» Trailer Showcase

Boler

Borden

TED

Spanke
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.