Replacing Flooring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #1

Name: Gerhardt
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Replacing Flooring

Hi,
I would like to install the Allure flooring in our Trillium 4500. I have a couple of questions:
1. Did any of you have to trim off the bottom of cupboard doors or have any issues with the fridge door opening as the new floor is higher than existing?
2. We have the original carpet which appears to be glued down. Should we remove that first, or use it as the "underlay".
Thanks
Gerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
We used Allure. I took out the old carpet. Used the rubber mesh that keeps carpets from slipping as underlay. Installed the strips as a floating floor (i.e. no trim or caulking). Laid a carpet mat over the plywood under the table. Had no problems with the fridge. We have a small peice of carpet at the door that we have to lift to open the door under the front bench.

Do you need to change your Trailer from Shopping to Trillium 4500?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I installed Allure and we love it.

1. I don't have a Trillium so I'm no help here...
2. I have seen people do it both ways. We went over the top of the carpeting. It does give the Allure a little "softness" which we like. I was surprised by how quick it installed.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #4

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I installed Allure and we love it.

1. I don't have a Trillium so I'm no help here...
2. I have seen people do it both ways. We went over the top of the carpeting. It does give the Allure a little "softness" which we like. I was surprised by how quick it installed.
Awesome. Thanks. I'm going to try and rip it out as it's original and has 30 years of dust and ?. I went and got samples today and we chose the pattern. I will post pics when I'm done!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
We used Allure. I took out the old carpet. Used the rubber mesh that keeps carpets from slipping as underlay. Installed the strips as a floating floor (i.e. no trim or caulking). Laid a carpet mat over the plywood under the table. Had no problems with the fridge. We have a small peice of carpet at the door that we have to lift to open the door under the front bench.

Do you need to change your Trailer from Shopping to Trillium 4500?
Hey Roy,
Great advice. I will try ripping it out. I do need to change that. I'm still in shock that we finally got our trailer It was an unexpected purchase!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I forgot to mention that you can use the waxed paper between the strips to keep everything from sticking as you fit the pieces. When you are ready to lay a peice you have cut, lay the wax paper right into the lip, line up the peices then slowly pull out the wax paper.
I hand trimmed all the curves in the corners. Plan out your cuts to facilitate your corners. 1 box did the main floor of our 4500 with a strip left over. Got the underlay from Home Depot along with the Allure. I've laid tiles in entire rooms much quicker than the Trillium, they use a lot less intricate cuts. Sort of like painting a closet, it takes forever, or so it seems.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote