replacing flooring in 1984 13' Scamp Questions... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

Name: Adrienne
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
replacing flooring in 1984 13' Scamp Questions...

Thoughts on replacing the vinyl flooring thats self adhesive in Scamp. Can i add a vinyl flooring on the existing? I want to add a plank design. Are there other flooring options that won't add too much weight. Whats the square footage needed in supplies.
driennea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Adrienne,
I tore out the carpet that was in my '84 13' Scamp before I replaced the floor. The main carpet was a replacement of the original 80's colors (brown/green/rust), but the original was left in the cabinet under the front bunk. That was kinda of a bugger to get out, but it came out! I also laid down a moisture barrier to separate the new floating flooring from the base.
I ended up using a cheap laminate from Lumber Liquidators which has been standing up pretty well, but I'd really like to put down Allure vinyl strip flooring. Some day.
Attached is a pdf of the measurements I took so I could figure out how much flooring to buy. I came up with a little under 30 sq. ft. Hope this helps.
BTW, where in Minnesota are you? I'm up near Detroit Lakes.
Take care,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FLOOR DIMENSIONS.pdf (37.3 KB, 71 views)
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Allure flooring, overlapping fairly thin vinyl planks have adhesive joints at the overlap. Floor "floats" so you don't have to use adhesive to stick it down. Held in place by the walls, might use a little adhesive at the entry way.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...plank+flooring

No big chunks to lay out and cut. Maybe two boxes to do a 13 ft. Lot of styles. I do not like gluing stuff down all that much. Seems like they either don't stick, or stick so hard they are a beast to remove and replace. Like the just lay it out, piece it together and put some trim or caulk line around the edges.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #4

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
+1 to the allure - it comes in a lot of great colors/patterns. However don't overlook sheet vinyl in a wood plank pattern. That's what my scamp had when I bought it, and it did look pretty good, and it probably would have lasted a long time had my subfloor not had some rot that needed repairing. You only need about a 4x8 remnant to do the entire camper floor (unless you want full floor coverage under the rear benches too).

You "shouldn't" need any adhesive at the entry way if you remove the aluminum trim (you can even buy replacement trim from scamp fairly inexpensively if you destroy it getting it out) and replace it after putting in new flooring... that will hold down that edge very firmly
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #5

Minnesota
My Scamp is currently at the Scamp Factory getting a full makeover But I was looking diy for floor ideas. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #6

Minnesota
Red face

Thank you, its been fun fixing up the scamp!! I am in the Twin Cities, near lake Minnetonka. What about you?

Tags
scamp