replacing foam mattress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Name: Simone
Trailer: 1975 Boler
British Columbia
replacing foam mattress

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the US or Canada with a good deal on 4 inch quality foam for my Boler?
Thank you!
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #2

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
6 inch mattress

I have a 6 inch mattress from Amazon. Only issue is that when it is cold you have to make sure that the memory foam is on the bottom, otherwise it is a little extra firm. Camped on this maybe 100 times and still looks new. Just cut it with an electric turkey carver.

Amazon.com - Sleep Master Memory Foam 6 Inch Mattress, Full - Full Mattress Set
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
During the winter months Kohls and JC Penny department stores have had mattress sales on foam toppers at 40-50% off. I agree with Kevin that if left in or used in trailers during cold weather, they become hard.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #4

British Columbia
Thank you!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #5

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
I would warn against mattress toppers. They tend to use cheap foam and are too soft to provide sufficient support. Their target market are people who are too cheap to buy a decent mattress.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
I would warn against mattress toppers. They tend to use cheap foam and are too soft to provide sufficient support. Their target market are people who are too cheap to buy a decent mattress.
Yeah, probably best to do it right the first time and spend more initially. Although even on sale the toppers at jc penny are priced higher than basic foam (not memory) from a mattress shop here in Canada. Maybe they are memory foam toppers.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.

We've been pleased with the foam bought from them online, they have mattresses, toppers and will custom cut sizes.
Daniel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
Not always true though, Kevin. You can get good quality memory foam, or latex foam layers too. With our last trailer, we opted for a firm good quality 6" foam mattress, and a 2 1/2" latex top mattress. The latter cost way more than the 6" foam. And boy oh boy, it was like sleeping on a cloud. It was pricey, but the good sleep was worth it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
For my modification of my old Scamp to twin beds I bought a Walmart Spa 8" foam Queen size mattress and cut it to fit two beds with an electric carving knife.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Replaced our new cushions

We replaced our new cushions for the rear bed with a single foam mattress from:

Home | Foam Rubber CityFoam Rubber City

If you check around, you probably have a similar foam dealer near you.

We also bought a mattress topper and have our sheet plastic over the mattress and under the topper.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think the real trick with a convertible dinette… I'm assuming, unlike some of the earlier posters, that you are not trying to make a permanent bed… the trick is getting the right density foam. You only have 4" to work with- much thicker and they will be too cumbersome as seat cushions. Too soft and they don't work for sitting. Too firm, and they're uncomfortable for sleeping.

This thread has some information about foam density specs that may help you in selecting the right foam for your application. See the links in post #12.

I'm afraid can't recommend a supplier. It seems like it could be pricey to ship foam because of its bulk, but perhaps there are online suppliers that have found ways to do it economically. There is a large upholstery warehouse in Phoenix I use, but that probably won't help you.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #12

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
We bought a mattress from Southern Mattress Company in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. The mattress is great. We went to the factory to pick it up but they didn't have one in stock. I asked the guy what we could do and he said we'll make one. We went into the shop and he made one while we watched, he even let me help make it. Super mattress and even better people. A double treat meeting the people and the mattress.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We made our bed cozy by adding 1 1/2" Thermafoam topper cut to size (two cut lengthwise) and covered with removable 100% cotton knit cover. The two rolls fit in the bench hatch.

We use two comforters edged with loops on one and buttons on the other. This allows for the use of one or two comforters. To have one comforter on one side and two on the other we simply unbutton one side and flip the top layer to the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 024.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 030.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 031.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #14

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
foam mattresses

Search: TruckMattress.com, then click on every night road deluxe. I bought 4 of these for different sleeping configurations in my 2011 Eggcamper. Depending on how many people are coming along determines which ones I take, and how many. I like a firm mattress. These are custom made for tractor trailers in any size you need. Very nice removable covers. I find them very comfortable and reasonably, priced after a lot of shopping around. Good luck
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #15

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
mattress

I bought the 5" thick.
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Foam location in Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post
Can anyone recommend somewhere in the US or Canada with a good deal on 4 inch quality foam for my Boler?
Thank you!
Simone my wife deals with Discount Foam at 6035 Fraser St, Vancouver, B.C.
604-324-2927, we use the densest foam #2050 as we like a firm bed but buying foam is up to the person who sleeps on it. There are two people who own the store Shawn or John. It is on the west side of the street if going north from 41st or going north still on west side, about 45th and Fraser and there is lots of parking in the back lane as community parking lot in back. they also have a back door to get into the store saving u the walk around the block.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:03 AM   #17

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I used to sell mattresses. Memory foam is known to be amphibious (itcgets hot when it is hot and cold when it is cold.) The 4 in. memory foam topper that came with my FGRV is very heavy and does not roll up into a small roll. Where do other campers store these things during the day while uaing rhe camper?
Indiana Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #18

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Visit your local upholstery shop - they will sell you what you need and cut it to the proper size .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Army and Navy. And when you go to cut it, use and electric knife (like the ones you carve turkey's with!

Camping Foam - Assorted Sizes
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #20

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Good foam is expensive. I paid around $150 for a 4' X 6' X 4" at an upholstery shop but it's still going strong after 4 years. I got it custom cut to my dinette cushions (in bed configuration). Very comfortable. Foam, $150; good sleep, priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV