Replacing our Dometic Fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1984
Replacing our Dometic Fridge

After two years of messing with our old Dometic 211 fridge we finally replaced it. Wanting to keep a three-way fridge for non electrical sites and to keep the trailer close to original for the next owner, we chose the slightly larger Dometic 2193 from the replacement chart. It is about three inches deeper but we were able to install it further into the opening leaving only about one inch to fill with some plywood spacing. Without the freezing compartment it has a whole bunch more useable space.
Attached Thumbnails
008 (800x533).jpg   010 (800x533).jpg  

016 (800x533).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Nice job on the installation.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Looks great! I installed the same one, it works very well! You should be quite pleased with it.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
For reference, is there a link to the replacement chart you speak of?

On a side note, do newer, replacement reefers have better cooling abilities and temperature control? Ours still works fine, but since it only cools a finite amount below ambient, everything warms up during the day and can freeze at night.
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #5

Try this
http://www.rv.com/assets/replacement...ementChart.pdf
Old 06-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
For reference, is there a link to the replacement chart you speak of?

On a side note, do newer, replacement reefers have better cooling abilities and temperature control? Ours still works fine, but since it only cools a finite amount below ambient, everything warms up during the day and can freeze at night.
Link to the Dometic replacement chart
http://www.dometic.com/2c6030b1-1d21...ccab1c04.fodoc

The basic principals of the Gas Absorption Refrigerator has not changed for 80+ years. Older units usually suffer from corrosion buildup and other age related problems that effect the overall performance. I find that I have the same wide temperature swings even with a new fridge. Because GAR's rely on the ambient temperature of outside air to control the temperature of the inside compartment, often times you can get much better reliability by some simple changes. One of the often easiest things you can do is park with the fridge side away from the sun. Some folks add some DC fans to the vent compartment, and things like that. In the end you can only achieve a certain amount of temperature differential from the ambient air. So the more stable that is, the more stable your ice box will be. A newer unit will be more efficient and if it is installed & used properly will give the best differential. But usually an old box will work fine too with a little tweaking.

One thing I have seen work on the old units is to pull them out and roll them around on the lawn for 20 mins. Sounds crazy, but it breaks up the corrosion and gets all the chemicals mixed up again. It really does work. Let it sit upright for a few hours before lighting it up though. Clean the Flue and make sure you have a nice BLUE flame on the burner. If the flame is yellow/orange or flickers the burner needs to be serviced. Make sure that the compartment is clean and open for good air flow. You want to make sure that the hot exhaust is exiting that compartment quickly and not lingering around. A good pack of insulation around the sides of the box will help as well! There are a lot of threads and posts on this subject so a quick search should give you plenty of ideas to try.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #7

Name: Gene
Trailer: Trillium 4500
British Columbia
I would like to no if any one has put this dometic rm 2193 into a 1976 Trillium 4500? If it has been done how did it work out? Gene
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr
I would like to no if any one has put this dometic rm 2193 into a 1976 Trillium 4500? If it has been done how did it work out? Gene
I remember a discussion once about that a couple years ago. And as I recall the cabinet is too shallow by several inches. The compatibility list shows the depth of the unit. I think you will have some fir'ing work and it's going to stick out. Norcold and dometic as far as I know have the two smallest units and they are very close to the same size. The norcold box I think is and inch shallower? I'll see if I can dig up their chart.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
FWIW, this link goes along with David's advice, and I had saved it in my favorites. Can't remember if I found it from this forum or not, but here it is:
How to Revive a Propane Refrigerator | eHow.com
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #10

Before we replaced the fridge, I had it out of the trailer on three different ocasions over about two years. We did the upside-down thing, the bump thing, and the rock and roll. After re inserting into the trailer andd reconnecting it, it would function perfectly for a week or two and then I had several bad words for it. I think that we gave it a good try. What's a dud worth for parts?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent
Before we replaced the fridge, I had it out of the trailer on three different ocasions over about two years. We did the upside-down thing, the bump thing, and the rock and roll. After re inserting into the trailer andd reconnecting it, it would function perfectly for a week or two and then I had several bad words for it. I think that we gave it a good try. What's a dud worth for parts?
Sounds like you gave it a good go! I am not sure what happens that causes that, but went through the same with my dad fridge. At some point during the battle we got a wiff of ammonia.... And that was the end of that! If the tricks don't work it's lost cause. Sounds like you gave it the all! Duds sell for a few bucks on eBay!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #12

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
I love the pix, thanks James Kent, do you have any Pix David Morgan?

What did you use as the filler between the cabinet face and the front of the fridge, (since it sticks out farther)

Also how much room in the back, where do you align the back of the unit compared to the outside of the trailer.

Thanks. jimbo
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jimbo
Scamp shims out the larger frig's on their 16&19 models. They use 3/4" oak boards ripped to the desired depth. I estimate about 2" wide.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:44 AM   #14

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post

Went through similar experience with my Dometic 211. I no longer beleive in miracle cures. Whenever corrosion and refrigerant degradation occur from overheating and age, getting back to normal operation for any significant amount of time by flipping over the unit is usually not worth the effort. Internal obstructions may be temporary dislodged, but not eliminated.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #15

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Hi James,
Just bought the same fridge tonight. Mine started leaking a few days ago, the unmistakable smell of Ammonia was the result of my last attempt to try and coax more performance out of my old fridge. I am afraid I am going to miss the ice box though.
You did a great install. I hope I can get mine to fit as nicely.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:50 AM   #16

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Fitting a new Dometic into an egg

Hi!
I wish you more than cosmetic success... the secret is to get the Dometic installation instructions and to make no compromise on leveling the fridge and the egg first.

Good luck !

Tags
fridge