Replacing Outside light on Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
has anyone replaced the outside light of their Boler? & how
anyone put an inside switch? & how
the old plastic has just desolved into nothing & you had to remove the cover to turn the light on-- it's now covered with good old duct tape
right now we are using DOT lights (1) on the outside but would like to change the setup
there is a neat marine light fixture at C. Tire for just under $10.00
(=) sort of looks like that-- white or black

Thanks for any help we are clueless & I know it can be done!!!!!
Ann
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
you can replace the existing light for about $15-20 from an rv dealer, it will fit right where the old one went. if you go the CT route, remember the new fixture is set up for 110v bulbs, and you will need a bulb adapter or else edison base 12v bulbs which can be pricey.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
you can replace the existing light for about $15-20 from an rv dealer, it will fit right where the old one went. if you go the CT route, remember the new fixture is set up for 110v bulbs, and you will need a bulb adapter or else edison base 12v bulbs which can be pricey.

thanks Joe
but I'm just replacing the plastic outside cover with CT one( will not even use the whole thing) & wanting to put a switch on the inside-- the old one you had to take the cover off to turn light off/on
using same( type) bulb so no need for adapter
Ann
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
When I wired and installed the inside lights in my trailer, I used RV type wall switches. It takes more wire and time, but it is well worth it. I used lighted switches for the water pump, and porch light, so that they could not be left on accidentally.
If you are going to have to buy a new light, get one that is designed for outside use. Maybe you could get a LED, uses so much less electricity. Make sure you install the light with butyl tape and then neatly caulk, (NOT silicone). Don't want to start any leaks !!
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
hummm, I think I'm in the same boat as Ann. I have an RV outdoor porch light ready to install. However, the on/off switch is on the light itself, and I'm looking to have an inside-the- trailer switch (lighted switch would be nice). I know I can get power from the range hood which is right on the other side where the light would be. BUT, how does one go about wiring an inside light switch to an RV light that already has a switch? (PS: there are two wires on the light...white--ground? and black--hot?) On another board, someone mentioned a 3-way switch!?!?! okay...how...

Ann...is that what you're thinking too
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
hummm, I think I'm in the same boat as Ann. I have an RV outdoor porch light ready to install. However, the on/off switch is on the light itself, and I'm looking to have an inside-the- trailer switch (lighted switch would be nice). I know I can get power from the range hood which is right on the other side where the light would be. BUT, how does one go about wiring an inside light switch to an RV light that already has a switch? (PS: there are two wires on the light...white--ground? and black--hot?) On another board, someone mentioned a 3-way switch!?!?! okay...how...

If I wanted and inside switch for my porch light here's what I would do. Install the inside switch in the porch light circuit. Then remove the lens from the porch light. Take the two wires off the switch (with the lens removed they're right there). Connect those two wires together. Now you an inside only light switch. If you want a 3 way switch you'll have to run another wire through the hull and probably isn't worth it.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
hummm, I think I'm in the same boat as Ann. I have an RV outdoor porch light ready to install. However, the on/off switch is on the light itself, and I'm looking to have an inside-the- trailer switch (lighted switch would be nice). I know I can get power from the range hood which is right on the other side where the light would be. [b]BUT, how does one go about wiring an inside light switch to an RV light that already has a switch? (PS: there are two wires on the light...white--ground? and black--hot?) On another board, someone mentioned a 3-way switch!?!?! okay...how...

The existing switch will be in the Black/Hot wire. If you want to keep the install "simple", just put the inside switch [b]in series with the outside switch. Then, they will [b]Both have to be on to make the lamp light. Then ignore the outside switch.

Or bypass it, as Byron suggests.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
If I wanted and inside switch for my porch light here's what I would do. Install the inside switch in the porch light circuit.

This is what I did but I did NOT jumper the switch in the light fixture itself.....I just leave that switch in the ON position. Did the same thing for the light in the bathroom...reason for putting a switch outside the bathroom door is that the light fixture in the bathroom is way toward the side of the trailer.....that's a long reach for us vertically challenged people.....I needed to swing the bathroom door completely open as far as it would go in order to reach the light switch on the light fixture itself.

Russell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #9

Ah, the light slowy shines through my foggy brain, Now I understand.

what if you were to buy a cheap remote kit from Princess Auto, (about 20 bucks)

Leave the fixture on all the time, and use the remote for switching?

then if you stayed out late, you could turn the light on and off with the remote, and make your way home...
Old 10-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Ah, the light slowy shines through my foggy brain, Now I understand.

what if you were to buy a cheap remote kit from Princess Auto, (about 20 bucks)

Leave the fixture on all the time, and use the remote for switching?

then if you stayed out late, you could turn the light on and off with the remote, and make your way home...
I thought about that. Let's see, where did I leave my trailer. Flash the porch light a few times. AH HA, there it is. I knew I should have stopped at 1 glass of wine.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #11

I thought this was an interesting concept...a motion detector porch light, same size housing as a regular rv light, just a bit larger for the motion sensors:

Star Lights Smart Lights

Unfortunately, I can't see anywhere on the site what the $$ is
Old 10-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I really hope that anyone camped beside me doesn't leave their porch light on all night on a motion sensor, flicking on and off as the local wildlife wanders by, or leaves blow, or whatever. It's an interesting idea, but it wouldn't be my choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #13

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
I bought one of those exterior lights with the switch attached to it....came with two lenses clear and amber

I am going to hook this up on the DC side.....with an interior switch

this way when approaching the rig and I need light to see the lock....switch..its on...

once inside and the light is on flick the interior switch and its off...need to see something going on outside...hit the switch...

Leaving for awhile..dont want anybody to turn it on and off...keep the interior switch off...

I should have this installed this weekend....

regarding the switches....I installed multiple LED strip lights and used in line switches to turn on and off for the future I am thinking of one area for all the switches...right now they are all hidden once I install my last strip light I will post photos
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
I really hope that anyone camped beside me doesn't leave their porch light on all night on a motion sensor, flicking on and off as the local wildlife wanders by, or leaves blow, or whatever. It's an interesting idea, but it wouldn't be my choice.
Good point Brian...kind like camping in a DISCO

But, thinking outside the box...this might be the ticket for some folks. Those that camp alone, or in less than ideal (safe) settings....those might not have a choice at that moment. Or maybe big animal country ( oh no BEARS). Don't think the light would chase a bear off, but at least the light might notify the camper that a bear just walked by!?

I know on the motion-detector light on my home I can make adjustments. It doesn't come on in a cat or small dog walks by or even the leaves blowing around on the bushes near the door...but, if something approaches that's taller than about 2 1/2 feet...the light comes on and illuminates the front porch area....and I kinda like that. Plus there's also an override on the on/off switch. I can either have the light turned off completely and turn it on when I want..like a regular porch light...or use the motion-detector. Wonder if this new-fangled RV porch light will have the same features?

Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Good point Brian...kind like camping in a DISCO

But, thinking outside the box...this might be the ticket for some folks. Those that camp alone, or in less than ideal (safe) settings....those might not have a choice at that moment. Or maybe big animal country ( oh no BEARS). Don't think the light would chase a bear off, but at least the light might notify the camper that a bear just walked by!?

I know on the motion-detector light on my home I can make adjustments. It doesn't come on in a cat or small dog walks by or even the leaves blowing around on the bushes near the door...but, if something approaches that's taller than about 2 1/2 feet...the light comes on and illuminates the front porch area....and I kinda like that. Plus there's also an override on the on/off switch. I can either have the light turned off completely and turn it on when I want..like a regular porch light...or use the motion-detector. Wonder if this new-fangled RV porch light will have the same features?

I'm thinking of putting a short LED string under the drip guard over my door. I would make it colored red or blue, then I beleive I could just leave it on at night while I was out. The draw should be very low, RIGHT?? Then I could stumble home or have others be able to find me via the porch lighting. Does anyone see any problem with that??
Kyle Martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
I thought this was an interesting concept...a motion detector porch light, same size housing as a regular rv light, just a bit larger for the motion sensors:

Star Lights Smart Lights

Unfortunately, I can't see anywhere on the site what the $$ is
I sent an email asking about price. Here's their reply.

Thank you for visiting our site. We are trying to set the price now, however,
we need to consider costs for building the product into our price. We are
trying to have it built in the US, and that is taking a little time since most
things appear to be out sourced to Asia right now. Nevertheless, we really want
this product to be produced in our own country. We expect to know soon what the
unit will cost and we will be happy to forward the price information to you if
you like.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Just to insert a caution regarding the "hot" wire in a trailer. My old boler used the black wire as the ground, or common, and a variety of other colors (red, brown, white) as the + or "hot" wire.

I installed an outside light like one previously described, coming with both a clear and amber lens. I had to run a wire from the sink area around the back and into the closet, where I mounted a lighted switch just inside the door. This has proven to work good, but the idea of a remote is interesting. I've only seen those with 110v applications, so will be on the lookout for one that will work with 12v dc.
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #18

here's one here, with a 2 amp load, if you need more , use a relay.

Joe
Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #19

Quote:
here's one here, with a 2 amp load, if you need more , use a relay.

Joe

"Easy to wire with basic electrical wiring knowledge" ..... I'm so SOL
Old 10-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #20

I've seen your mod's Donna, you could do it.
Joe

Tags
boler, light, lighting, tail lights