Replacing Scamp Ceiling Vent With Fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #1

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Our '04 Scamp 13 has one of the large ceiling vents that I guess could double as an escape hatch if the trailer falls on the door side some night. I hope we don't need it for that purpose! Anyway, has anyone mounted a FanTastic fan or similar in this space by adapting down to the fan size with a piece of plywood? It wouldn't be a huge effort, and the "escape hatch" function could be preserved.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Our '04 Scamp 13 has one of the large ceiling vents that I guess could double as an escape hatch if the trailer falls on the door side some night. I hope we don't need it for that purpose! Parker
Or a tree fell against the side of the trailer while you're out camping and you can't get the door open.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Or a tree fell against the side of the trailer while you're out camping and you can't get the door open.
I've figured I'd just kick out the rear window.
Jonathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I took another route and added my fantastical fan in a new hole in the front.

That gave me TWO vents, left the orig as stock and the new vent is in the front where the ventilation is kinda poor on my Scamp 13. Also, since it's in line with the kitchen window, range top and door, I can open the kitchen and door windows and suck out all the cooking odors and fumes.

At night, the fan is up front and away from my bunk in back, so the noise is less. Only problem there is that I have to get up to manage the controls -- Need a remote!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #5

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
I took another route and added my fantastical fan in a new hole in the front.
That's probably the most sensible approach. I've been slow to accept that, since it's another hole in the roof, and my Scamp just does go under my garage door if I remove the cover from the existing hatch. The fan-type vents are probably no taller (easy enough to confirm) so that's probably the better long term solution.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00932.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	11796
[attachment=14615:
DSC00913.JPG]
On my Scamp 16 I used to own, the ff was in the back. We enjoyed the fan blowing directly on us sometimes and/but woke up getting wet a couple of times.
One thing I didn't like was all that light coming in before I wanted to get up. Always thought I would paint the covers or something but then decided to sell.
Seems to me that your idea of putting a fan right inside the the existing large opening may very well work if it fits in when the existing cover is closed.
I guess cutting a hole is no big deal if you know what you're doing and take your time but sounds scary to me too.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00913.JPG   DSC00919.JPG  

Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
The fan-type vents are probably no taller (easy enough to confirm) so that's probably the better long term solution.
They are a couple of inches taller, but you do have the choice, at least with FF, to get a high- or low-profile setup. You might want to call their 1-800 number and see if they can give you dimensions. The vent will not be exactly level, but somewhat on the forward curve, so that drops it a little. Keep in mind, however, that whatever doesn't stick up outside will stick down inside.

I do remove my vent cover to store egg in garage, but it is easy, and would not be much more difficult to remove the fan itself if needed.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp