Replacing Scamp Cooler with Refrigerator? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Looking
Minnesota
Replacing Scamp Cooler with Refrigerator?

Tomorrow (5/25) we're going to look at a used 16 ft. Scamp. The ad says it is a 2002 model, and from the pictures it appears to be layout 6. According to the ad, the trailer is fitted with a cooler rather than a refrigerator.

Is it possible, and how difficult would it be, to replace the cooler with a 3-way refrigerator? Any ideas on how much it would cost?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

Minnesota
I just got a message from the owner saying the trailer is sold. So the answer to my question is not so important now. Still, it might be something useful to know for future reference.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If by "Cooler" you mean a fridge with no freezer, that is what we have and get along with just fine. But, if you mean an "Ice Box", like a chest cooler that you put ice in...?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

Minnesota
"Cooler", as in ice box.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sadly, molded fiberglass trailers sell fast, lightning fast! Both of the ones we bought were on day one, and the one we sold went in four hours.

Best bet is to get familiar with a few of the more common brands (Scamp and Casita for example), and then launch immediately when one pops up. They typically don't last until the weekend or even tomorrow for that matter. When we bought our last one, on day one, seller was already getting unsolicited offers to pay more! Low supply, long factory backlogs and high demand = really tough.

On our last one we drove 400 miles to get it. By then, we knew exactly what we wanted so when the right one popped up we were ready to roll.

+1 it is not uncommon for Scamps to have an ice box rather than a frig. Check out Scamp catalog, even now, an ice box is still standard, while s frig is an option.

Many molded trailers come standard with almost nothing. It's a much different market than traditional trailers. We had an ice box when I was growing up in our family's 1962 Shasta. Major PITA! And back then an ice box was more common so camp grounds often sold block ice. Getting a new block was a daily chore.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMN View Post
Tomorrow (5/25) we're going to look at a used 16 ft. Scamp. The ad says it is a 2002 model, and from the pictures it appears to be layout 6. According to the ad, the trailer is fitted with a cooler rather than a refrigerator.

Is it possible, and how difficult would it be, to replace the cooler with a 3-way refrigerator? Any ideas on how much it would cost?

Thanks!
It may be difficult depending on the opening size and where electric and propane is. The fridges are several hundred dollars. If the trailer is exactly what you want and for a real good price then it may be worth it to put a fridge in it. Go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb. It is 15 years old and could have problems. My sister made a mistake and is so sorry that she now has an unusable trailer until the entire roof is replaced. You will be happy to have a fridge and not a cooler. Check into Casita's they all have 3 way fridges.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Cost

Guesstimate:
Propane T and fittings $30 if propane equipped.
Propane Tech. 1 Hr. $100
Intake and exhaust grills $75-$100
DC wiring and fuse $20
A/C wiring and ckt. breaker $30
New frig. $500-$800
Figure about 1/2 to 1 day to install yourself.
Not counting time spent trying to figure out why it won't cool enough over 90F.

If taking trips < 2 wks. Get a Yeti or like cooler. I have not priced it but a trip to the Scamp factory may be your best bet. There prices are usually reasonable for equipment updates.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Guesstimate:
Propane Tech. 1 Hr. $100
DC wiring and fuse $20
New frig. $500-$800
Not counting time spent trying to figure out why it won't cool enough over 90F.

If taking trips < 2 wks. Get a Yeti or like cooler. I have not priced it but a trip to the Scamp factory may be your best bet. There prices are usually reasonable for equipment updates.
Eddie
Using a lot of ice when not available isn't a good choice. Ice is not cheap either. Figure at least $2 a day on an average.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #9

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Guesstimate:
Propane Tech. 1 Hr. $100
DC wiring and fuse $20
New frig. $500-$800
Eddie
Thanks. That's the sort of analysis I was looking for. I'd forgotten about intake/exhaust grills. And those require cutting holes in the shell.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMN View Post
Thanks. That's the sort of analysis I was looking for. I'd forgotten about intake/exhaust grills. And those require cutting holes in the shell.
Got to break an egg to make a cake
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #11

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Since you are in MN, I would absolutely recommend taking any trailer you get to the Scamp factory for any mods you may not want to do yourself, any standard mods that is. They are very friendly, reasonably quick, and reasonably priced. Added advantage, they know exactly what they are dealing with and how to do the job correctly, unlike many "general" RV service technicians.

I was surprised, when I was there to have a Fantastic Vent installed, that they had a completely gutted Airstream parked out back. They said they were completely re-furbishing it for the owners. Apparently they work on all models of trailers if asked.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #12

Minnesota
I did contact Scamp via email, asking about the feasibility of replacing the cooler with a fridge. No response so far.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Replacing Scamp Cooler with Refrigerator?

Scamp is notoriously inefficient about e-mails. A phone call is your best bet.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
many businesses do a poor job responding to email. For a serious question a phone call is best!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #15

Name: Steph
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Registry
FWIW, I use the ice chest in my scamp as a cabinet to hold dishes and heavier kitchen items. I know they are secure in there and don't have to worry about the load as I would on a hung cabinet. We use "yeti-type" coolers called K2 coolers for our food and ice. I bought a few gallon jugs of water at the grocery store and freeze them as ice blocks. The clear, heavy-duty plastic jugs with lots of ribs allow for the water to expand when it freezes without busting the bottle. You do have to pour a little water out first of course. When those guys melt we drink the water and buy bags of ice if needed.
StephLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #16

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephLeach View Post
We use "yeti-type" coolers called K2 coolers for our food and ice.
Just curious, where do you keep the coolers when your camp is set up? Is there enough room in the trailer for them?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #17

Name: Steph
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Registry
We keep them outside under our shade structure. On the beach I actually use them as weights to help keep the structure down. We cook outside so the food is nearby, which is handy. We also use them for benches to sit on. You can even get bear-proof locks for them. If I'm ever worried about them walking off I throw them in the back of my 4Runner to keep them safe.
StephLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #18

Name: Gene
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 19
Washington
My 1987 Scamp came with a dorm fridge 110v only. I plan to replace it with a DC compressor fridge like an Engle or Truck Fridge. I had an Engle chest model in my Tacoma and it would run for three days without the truck starting.
buff30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Another option...
Add an ARB or other 12v portable Danfoss compressor fridge, they are spendy anywhere from $400 up to over $1,000 and they only work on electrical power.

Some are two way AC/DC, some just DC, the upside is no gas plumbing and they are "portable" so you could move them from rig to rig or from trailer to tow vehicle.

But they work regardless of if the rig is level or not, and they cool under motion, unlike propane where some folks are not comfortable running their fridge while the rig is in motion.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, scamp