Replacing the Axle on a 13' Scamp (Bolt On??) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Replacing the Axle on a 13' Scamp (Bolt On??)

Hi all, I think we need to replace the axle on our 1983 13' Scamp. It sort of leans to one side and seems to sit a bit low. I do not have a welder and do not want to pull the egg off the frame (not sure if this is even needed). I know Scamp welded on the axles, but it seems that it is not uncommon on other trailers (and for cars for that matter) to bolt on the axle. Has anyone just cut off the old axle and bolted on a replacement? If so was it a lot of work or just a matter of drilling some holes and bolting it on.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Dexter axle http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/..._Lbs_12-10.pdf
Need to weld the bracket to trailer then bolt axle to bracket.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...arm-37248.html
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #3

Massachusetts
Thanks for the great info Kevin. Although this has sort of been hanging there in the back of my head as something I should do, I have put it off as it is something I have to setup with a trailer place. I talked with one this morning and they will swap the axles for me but mentioned they are usually bolted on. Also for the shortest turn around they recommended I come with the correct axle, which I sort of assumed would just be the one I could order from Scamp. Anyone just get the replacement axle from Scamp and does it just drop in place (assuming welding)?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you're going to need to have any welding done, have them weld the bracets on; then bolt the axle to the bracket. Brackets are cheap and you should be able to get them anywhere you can get an axle. Anyone close buy build utility trailers?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Thanks Donna, that is a good idea. I had wondered about doing that and I sent Trent at Scamp an email about doing that. I am guessing that I will order the axle from Scamp, I have not looked but I am assuming they could weld on a bracket and then bolt the Scamp axle on. I prefer bolted on as future replacement becomes a much easier task.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
Thanks Donna, that is a good idea. I had wondered about doing that and I sent Trent at Scamp an email about doing that. I am guessing that I will order the axle from Scamp, I have not looked but I am assuming they could weld on a bracket and then bolt the Scamp axle on. I prefer bolted on as future replacement becomes a much easier task.
That's the ticket Jon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
Hi all, I think we need to replace the axle on our 1983 13' Scamp. It sort of leans to one side and seems to sit a bit low. I do not have a welder and do not want to pull the egg off the frame (not sure if this is even needed). I know Scamp welded on the axles, but it seems that it is not uncommon on other trailers (and for cars for that matter) to bolt on the axle. Has anyone just cut off the old axle and bolted on a replacement? If so was it a lot of work or just a matter of drilling some holes and bolting it on.
Just last week I had the axle replaced on our '83 13' Burro with a new dexter #9 torflex axle with electric brakes. They had to reverse the brackets to put the spindle in the trailing position. It required repositioning and also reversing the brackets since the long flange of the brackets were on the wrong side. All went well and we now have brakes which gives great piece of mind and a shorter stopping distance. If you're putting on just an idler axle, you can leave the spindle in the leading position.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #8

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
casangster

Where do I order axle for 13' Scamp.
casangster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp