Originally Posted by Evergreen
Hi Raya, I keep holding back on the tabbing. Mainly because what happens if you need to remove them. I have been thinking about bonding in some blocks in the corners between the hull and the cabinet sides (but bonding only on the hull side). Then screwing the cabinets onto those blocks using trim washers to make it look good.
Yes, I thought about that. But then I figured, for one thing, I probably won't have any occasion to remove the cabinets (after all, the Trilliums' are glassed in and that does not seem to have posed problems), and if I do, well, a Multimaster or Sawzall would make short work of cutting the tabbing and they'd be out. It's not very likely so I decided I would rather relax every time it rained knowing there were no potential leak points. I also don't mind the extra integrity the tabbing gives, especially on, say, the closet.
I did consider the blocks/screws method, but that would have had me screwing through the face of the cabinets (instead of the lip which is used originally), and I didn't like that idea for myself, although it certainly could work. As it is I will gelcoat the lip holes so they are filled in.
So far I have tabbed in the closet (basically continuous given its structural function), and the upper rear cabinet (for that one I made six non-contiguous tabs roughly corresponding to the original fastener locations). On that I also removed the center septum because the two cabinet doors were over to the sides and the middle was basically unusable. I then glassed in two septums spread out a bit and cut out a center compartment which I'll probably leave open. Now all the space is usable. I find that cabinet to be quite handy for lightweight clothing, hats, etc.
I've got the upper kitchen cabinet perimeter prepped and ready to glass, so that's next. Then the kitchen lower and I'll be done. Ahhhh.
Another option I considered that you might try would be to use Weld Mount fasteners. The shortest they come is 3/4", so you might have to cut them down a hair, but they are basically studs with a base the size of a quarter, that you adhere with a methacrylate adhesive. They are good for something like 400+ lbs. of force so would probably hold up the cabinets fine considering there would be multiple ones on each cabinet. You could use the original cabinet holes, and then fill them in from the outside. They are used on new boat construction. So you would just have to cut a small slit or disc out of the Ensolite and clean prep that small area. I think I will use them for anyplace I want to attach anything else to the shell (I may add an upper cabinet forward, as I don't have one of those).
Anyway, having removed and replaced the jalousie windows
, I can pretty confidently say that getting larger ones would not work very well. You could go larger downwards, but that would be a pain with the seat back cushions; or forward, but that would necessitate changing the closet or upper kitchen cabinets. Basically all things that would be more work then filling in the corners, unless you were doing a remodeling job anyway and changing the interior.
Larger windows that went up or back would get into the rounded part of the camper and not fit properly.
Robert... on the parallel threads. I am guessing that the new board's search function must not work very well, as it seems that lately we are getting many repeat threads that are started new when there are really similar threads that are not very old. It can be a bit discouraging, because it can take some time to type in a good post, and then when you see something similar posted not too long after, well, you want to share the information but then you maybe don't want to spend another 45 minutes typing it again....
I've always used the Google search function to search the board myself.