Replumbing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #1

Name: Charley
Trailer: Burro 13'
North Carolina
Registry
Replumbing

On my 1978 13' Burro I am not very impressed with the hose draining the sink and dribbling down the outside.
I don't want to install a grey water tank, space issues being what they are. Anyone done something clean and clever they would care to share?
I am leaning toward a standard 1 1/2" drain to the outside. Thoughts?
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
On my 1978 13' Burro I am not very impressed with the hose draining the sink and dribbling down the outside.
I don't want to install a grey water tank, space issues being what they are. Anyone done something clean and clever they would care to share?
I am leaning toward a standard 1 1/2" drain to the outside. Thoughts?
How about a ball valve under the floor with a garden hose quick connect on it, then you can carry a length of garden hose for onsite sewer connection and a jug for catching the water directly.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
In my small camper I put about a foot or so piece of 3 inch abs piping capped both ends , on the top with a 1 inch fitting for the hose from the sink and on the bottom I brought it down to 1 1/2 fitting with a gate valve. It did not hold much but gave enough room to brush my tooth, lol

Hope this helps
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I bought an elbow at some RV store speciffically made for this problem.
When you're camping remove the exterior drain cover, screw this little elbow on and attach a short piece of garden hose to go in your drain bucket or tank.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Sorry, I don't quite understand you question. I have a standard female hose fitting on the side of the trailer to which I attach a short length of garden hose that feeds into a jerry jug. Once I found water dripping down the side of the camper( leak) and discovered the hose washer was missing. A new hose washer stopped the drip. As long as everybthing is tight, all the sink water goes into the jug. Are you looking to do something different?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #6

North Carolina
Registry
My journey so far.
Taking a cue from Ken h, I am cobbling together a 4" PVC grey water tank that will stand vertically inside the cabinet. I drilled and glued assorted adapters and gate valve on to end caps. It took an hour of wandering in the Ace plumbing section. The staff has learned to leave me alone. Altho they did remind me a vent line would allow the sink to drain better. I am not done yet. I will post photos when I am. I am thinking I will use the old garden hose coupling to supply fresh water at the sink with a spray attachment.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Charley, sounds very interesting! And you know, we'll want to see some detailed pictures!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I use a portable 'free-bee' 2-1/2 gal tank located directly under the sink which drains via a part of a funnel through a 1/2 inch piece of rubber hose into the tank. The tank was originally contained mustard spread and was a restaurant throw-away.

I seldom generate that much grey water in a day, but empty it daily, so as not to be surprised. I find this much more handy than dealing with emptying built-in holding tanks!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #9

North Carolina
Registry
I have finished the grey water tank. Took 3x the time and 2x the $ I imagined. But once you start down that Rabbit Hole, you have to stay true to your vision...right?
I like having the valve interior so I may dump at my pleasure without crawling around underneath. I can attach a hose to direct the flow as needed.

Now I have to learn how to post the pictures...
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

North Carolina
Registry
grey water pictures

Here are photos of my homemade greywater tank.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0501.jpg   IMAG0502.jpg  

IMAG0492.jpg   IMAG0495.jpg  

Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Here are photos of my homemade greywater tank.
Nice.. and permanent too!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hey Charley , your new holding tank looks great. That is about what I had come up with on my camper , but I see your's is the larger white model.

Great job!
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #13

North Carolina
Registry
Since I was this deep into it I added a spray wand to the counter top. I hooked to up to what had been the drain line garden hose connection. Now I am done with that. Wiring is done too. Until I start one the solar power anyway...