''Restoration'' of '72 Boler-American - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2002, 08:57 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I survived...

I'm not often accused of following the herd...

Yup - That's me in the avatar. The picture was taken at the Aquarium in Seattle this last summer. My daughter took it - it's her favorite picture. :)

If you want to check out a larger - more high-rez version, it's also in the 'photo' page of the Bolertrailerclub on yahoo.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 06:57 AM   #22

Quote:
My daughter took it
well pat her on the back for me, Job well done. :)

Old 12-08-2002, 09:25 AM   #23

Jacks

Mike W. Are the jacks bolted on or are they welded on?

Old 12-08-2002, 12:34 PM   #24

Jacks

Thanks for the questions Suz...

The jacks have been welded on. I had it done at the same time I was having the frame repaired/reinforced.

After we arrived in Seattle on our first trip - we noticed a crack in the frame where it bends inward to form the toungue. (It's a known weak spot in Bolers. I hesitate to call it a 'flaw'. If something lasts for 30 years without a problem - I call it a pretty decent design.)

Anyway, we took it into a welding shop to repair and reinforce the frame at that location (and the same on the other side). The repair is actually visable in that shot.

Anyway - we brought in the four jacks to install at the same time. To attach them to the frame, they first welded the jacks to a U-shaped piece of steel (at the bottom of the U). The U then slipped up around the frame and was welded into place. In other words - the U helps to act to reinforce the frame in that region too.

I think it would be a mistake to try to bolt something to the frame in that location. The is already a high-stress location (it's roughly midway between the axle and the hitch) AND there's a bend nearby too. Weakening the frame further by drilling a hole through it wouldn't be that advisable... IMHO of course.

Mike
Watters

Old 12-08-2002, 12:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz

Mike W. Are the jacks bolted on or are they welded on?
Hi Mike
I got a similar jack set up on my 17 ft boler. I can lift the whole unit off the ground. They sure work good. They were their when I bought unit.:wave

Old 12-16-2002, 03:06 PM   #26

Jacks

Northern Tool& Equipment has what I used. Item # 14872-F749 is the number for them in this old catalog I keep in my desk.$9.99 each. Had to do a little mod. work that anyone could do.
www.northerntool.com

Old 12-17-2002, 04:33 PM   #27

Weak spot in frame

Mike,
My Burro had the same fix done to the frame in the same spots.
I think it's common for these trailers.

I haven't heard of any Casitas or Scamps having this weakness, but you never know....

Old 12-17-2002, 05:52 PM   #28

frame weakness

Anyone with a Casita or Scamp care to chime in on their frame construction? I would expect that any trailer that was constructed the same way would have the same weakness. The frame bends in at that location to form the tounge. The bend makes for a weak spot of course. That point also seems to be around the midpoint between the ball and the axle - so that's gonna be highly stressed as well.

My Boler was actually built with a reinforcing gusset at that point - it failed just in front of the factory reinforcment.

Tags
boler