Restoring Carefree trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

Name: chris
Trailer: CareFree
British Columbia
Restoring Carefree trailer

So I recently acquired this 11 foot Carefree trailer. Honestly I new nothing about molded fiberglass trailers until I saw this one and did some serious research on them. After doing a week of reading I decided it was for me so I picked it up.

This one was apparently sitting in a barn for almost 15 years and for the last 3 months was used by the owners wife to smoke in and keep out of the cold. Needless to say it was pretty disgusting.

My original plan was to keep all of the major components intact; fridge, stove, shower, toilet and furnace. I started by removing the wall board and exposing some of the water damage. The floor was also quite soft around the entrance. Once I got deeper into the demolition I soon realized that this would be a complete tear down. The plumbing was extremely brittle and the wiring was rotten and posed a fire risk.

So far I have spot repaired the internal framing that was rotten and laid new floor boards and part way up the wall. The windows were removed and I got new glass cut for two of the broken panels. My girlfriend and I have sanded about half of the outside when weather permits to get it ready for paint.

My plan is to make the plumbing and electrical quite simple. For electricity I will only have a 12v system to power 3-4 LED lights, a 12v socket for small appliances and to power the fan for the furnace. My fresh water tank will be a portable 5 gallon tank that is fed to the song via a hand pump faucet. Grey water will be drained into another portable tank stored inside.

The one cost I didn't anticipate about this build was all the little things. The local RV store wants $8 per foot for the replacement window trim and I need 25 feet! Other things include new hardware, and various fittings.. They add up quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sch0enne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Congratulations on the big barn find! Some people here may be able to tell you about less expensive trim.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks Cathi! I found a website that will send you samples to match up to the existing trim. If they have it its only $1.70 per foot!

I made some new screens today and also sealed the new glass into my large rear window (it was cracked) I also experimented with a brushed aluminum look on the frame. Thoughts?

Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Wow, for a Carefree it certainly needs a lot of tender lovin' care.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
That thing must have been made by Monarch as the inside look like a stretched version of a Ventura. Same interior wall structure and cheap paneling. Pick up some 3m scotchbrite fine sanding pads for the aluminum (no steel wool, may cause rust). Did a knotty pine interior on my old Ventura and it came out nice. The flat walls are pretty easy to work with. Ventura
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #6

British Columbia
I was considering the knotty pine interior. The shape is definitely easier to work with.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #7

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hi Chris congrats. on your purchase. you mentioned led lights for your renovation . May I suggest Princess Auto for these. They carry one that has a lens on each end with a switch in the center, double throw one end on or push it the other way for both ends on. These are super bright and low profile too. I put 2 in my Trillium and they are as good any florescent out there. Good luck and enjoy your trailer. Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #8

British Columbia
Thanks! Yeah a Princess auto has become a very good friend of mine lately

I am doing things a bit backwards... The weather hasn't been the best so I have been focusing on the inside until I can finish sanding and painting. I framed up the bed, kitchen counter and the bench/second bed. It's weird to work on because nothing seems to be square or level so all I can do is level the trailer the best I can and go for it!

Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sch0enne View Post
Thanks! Yeah a Princess auto has become a very good friend of mine lately

I am doing things a bit backwards... The weather hasn't been the best so I have been focusing on the inside until I can finish sanding and painting. I framed up the bed, kitchen counter and the bench/second bed. It's weird to work on because nothing seems to be square or level so all I can do is level the trailer the best I can and go for it!

Chris, really make sure it's level before you build anything in. I redid a trailer years ago ( not FG ) that looked level and squared up until I pulled it out to the street. Ended up having to redo a number of things....live and learn .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #10

New Brunswick
Hi Chris .got your message . The led lights from P.A. are # 8488702 $29.95 reg price pg 371 of the 2015 catalog. I really like mine and they don't drain the battery much at all. I hope you can find these OK. Duane
Old 02-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #11

British Columbia
I've been building a new door frame the past couple evenings. I have a new appreciation for welders... Because I suck!!!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #12

New Brunswick
Chris just heads up message. The led lights that I gave you numbers for are on sale next week at P.A. starts Tuesday Duane
Old 02-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by getaway1 View Post
Chris just heads up message. The led lights that I gave you numbers for are on sale next week at P.A. starts Tuesday Duane

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 02-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #14

British Columbia
Made a lot of progress today. It was sunny out so the GF did a ton of sanding. I need to do a few small repairs in the fiberglass then it's ready for paint!!

On the inside today we framed up a bit more of the kitchen area and sizes up the cooler. Half of the counter will swing up and give us access to the cooler.

I finished the carpet in the dining/bed area and started applying the vinyl plank to the wall. It looks great!!

Old 03-22-2016, 12:52 AM   #15

Name: Gary
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
Thumbs up Hi Chris

Awesome work!
I have just started the very same project and would love any advice you have to offer. I have removed the furnace/closet/power supply from one side of the door and the hot water tank/holding tank from the other side. Next thing is the washroom…did you remove it with intentions of re-using any of it or did you just take the sawzall to it?? Appreciate any tips on this one. I might save the toilet if nothing else.
Also I would like to see any pics of the teardown…especially the ceiling if you removed it or are going to remove it, and of what you did in regards to the floor repair??? I will post some pics as soon as we get a dry day. Any advice/tips or warnings of what lies ahead are greatly appreciated and please keep posting the updates, it’s looking great!!!
Carefree Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree Canuck View Post
Awesome work!
I have just started the very same project and would love any advice you have to offer. I have removed the furnace/closet/power supply from one side of the door and the hot water tank/holding tank from the other side. Next thing is the washroom…did you remove it with intentions of re-using any of it or did you just take the sawzall to it?? Appreciate any tips on this one. I might save the toilet if nothing else.
Also I would like to see any pics of the teardown…especially the ceiling if you removed it or are going to remove it, and of what you did in regards to the floor repair??? I will post some pics as soon as we get a dry day. Any advice/tips or warnings of what lies ahead are greatly appreciated and please keep posting the updates, it’s looking great!!!
That's awesome I would love to see some pics! For the washroom I just ripped it out. Everything was so frail that it practically fell apart. The ceiling I left as it would be a big job to replace.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #17

British Columbia
Here is where I today. paint is pretty much done, all but one window has been re-installed, new vent installed. My main focus has been getting the thing waterproof so I can finish the inside.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #18

British Columbia

Old 04-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #19

Name: A
Alberta
Hi,
My husband and I purchased this trailer (with out the washroom) at the end of last fall and have been slowly working at it over the winter, still have a lot to do as this winter was so cold we didn't have a lot of opportunity to work on it. I would love to see pictures of your finished trailer? Also I see you used plank flooring for the wall, how is that holding up? I like the look of it but I've heard with the temperature change it can shrink and leave gaps... Thanks!!
Ehme01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #20

Name: Keegan
British Columbia
Carefree camper

Hello it is 2022 and I am the current owner of this carefree trailer. My mother purchased the trailer from a couple who purchased it from schonee. They did a good job a restoring it but unfortunately a previous owner gutted it again and I have spent the past year and a half putting the interior together. I can proudly say this carefree camper now has solar power and I even found the original model furnace to go with it. Unfortunately the stove and fridge where taken out a few years ago. I have kept it in very good condition and these trailers are only getting more and more rare.
Attached Thumbnails
20220528_111136.jpg  
Keegan985 is offline   Reply With Quote