Restoring 'her' 1975 Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Restoring 'her' 1975 Trillium 1300

Well, Barbara reminded me to post some of the progress on the 1975 Trillium 1300 that I'm restoring for my wife. I get to do all of the physical restoration, then she gets to do all of the decorating. Between work, family activities, camping in the Scamp, and life in general, progress has been pretty slow.

The trailer was in really bad shape when we got it. The shell had several puncture holes, the interior was trashed, and i didn't know that a person could drill so many "extra" holes in a trailer (I think that the previous owner must have drilled a new hole in it every time that he used it).
Attached Thumbnails
Outside_before_01.JPG   Outside_before_02.JPG  

Outside_before_03.JPG   Outside_before_04.JPG  

Outside_before_05.JPG   Inside_before_01.JPG  

Inside_before_02.JPG   Inside_before_03.JPG  

Inside_before_04.jpg   Inside_before_05.jpg  

Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #2

Let the work begin

I knew that it was going to be a lot of work and that I was going to learn a lot. I'm definitely learning more than I thought I would!

I first checked the appliances. Thankfully, everything worked! I then ripped everything out of the interior and began scrubbing...and scrubbing...and then I scrubbed a whole bunch more. There was a previous thread that I posted about literally scrubbing the entire surface of the ensolite with an electric scrubber the size of a toothbrush...several times! It cleaned up nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Inside_after_01.jpg   Inside_after_02.jpg  

Inside_after_03.JPG  
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #3

Then to the outside

I then took the wheels off of it and pushed it in the garage. Work was insanely busy for the next year, so no real progress happened on it (and I used to laugh at the people that started restoring an old car, only to have it sit in their garage for years ).

This last fall (2011), I was able to get started on the body work before the weather turned wet. We removed the belly band, ground and pulled out all of the steel retainer pieces (I think that there were over 70 of them). We'd decided to permanently remove the heater since we've never used the propane heater in the 7 years of using our Scamp, and storage space is a premium. I then started my first attempt at cosmetic fiberglass body work: filling the punctures in the shell, filling the belly band, and filling the hole where the heater was. Thankfully, the boys like to help on the trailer (Barak removed the belly band).
Attached Thumbnails
Outside_during_01.JPG   Outside_during_02.JPG  

Outside_during_03.JPG   Outside_during_04.JPG  

Outside_during_05.JPG   Outside_during_06.JPG  

Outside_during_07.JPG  
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #4

With the bodywork done

I had a local boat repair shop color the gel coat for me in January. While talking with them, I found out that they were incredibly slow waiting for boat season. I had them quote finishing the body work and applying the gel coat. They came in at about 1/3 of the cost that they would normally charge, and it would probably save me a year (or more) or work. Cheri and I decided that it was worth giving them the business, so I put the wheels back on it and towed it down to them (just as the snow flakes were starting to fall...literally). I had them do more work and completely remove the belly band. They did a great job getting it all contoured.
Attached Thumbnails
Outside_after_01.JPG   Outside_after_02.JPG  

Outside_after_03.JPG   Outside_after_04.jpg  

Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #5

Now for the windows

I'm now working on rebuilding the windows. The corrosion (white growth and pitting) is more difficult to clean up than I anticipated. After lots of elbow grease and different chemicals and polishes, I bought a bench polisher and am in the process of completely disassembling each window (including every piece around each piece of glass) in order to get the corrosion off. They do polish up nicely and I'm probably the only person insane enough to literally have highly polished window frames on a Trillium. This will most likely take me a few months to complete...so it will probably be a while before I post much more that is worthy of being considered progress!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Nice! I just did a giant patch like that where the Winegard Antenna was. Yours is prettier tham mine :-)

Fortunately, my big patch is on the roof and I hope no one will ever see it :-P
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wow Isaac! Looks like you're making good progress, even if slow. But you know perfection takes time?

I can't believe how tall Barak is getting. Now he gets to play with the full size logo!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Awesome work and what a great idea to give the boat shop off season work. A win-win!

It is sad to see these neat little trailers abused, but so great to see one come back to life.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Nice work Isaac!
It is a lot of work bringing these back to life. I am doing some things to mine but not anything like you're doing.
I had jalosie windows in my VW camper and cleaned them up a bit, but would never take them apart unless they didn't work properly!
I'm glad you mentioned about cleaning the interior. What cleaner did you use?
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Nice work Isaac !!
I have a 75 also and wish it looked like yours (on outside) My inside is pretty good, only 1 upper corner emsolite needs refitting. Some one said there may be a sourse for the ceiling trim & trim chanel availibe from Outback/Trillium in Calgary, hope this comes thru.
Keep up with the good work and showing us progress.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I talked to Tom of Trillium California. He already has it. Here's the link to the thread I mentioned it in.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ack-49683.html
Tom is easy to get a hold of. I think I just went to their website and used the "contact us" . I haven't talked to him since because my track is good.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
I'm glad you mentioned about cleaning the interior. What cleaner did you use?
Mike, here's the topic where Isaac talked about cleaning the interior: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ean-43009.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #13

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Wow this is really hard work and such a beautiful job! Enjoy it.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #14

Thank you everyone for your kind encouragement!

Donna...Barak is definitely getting big. He is searching for his own full size trailer to restore. I told him I'd help him buy one if he can find one that has a solid shell for $500 (he still has to pay for part of it, but I figure that will keep him searching for a while and give me time to save up a bit). So, the search is on. He really wants a 13' Scamp, so if anyone finds one...you can make a young kid really happy!

I snapped a picture of before and after polishing of the window frame pieces. The 'before' shot was been scrubbed hard with 'Flitz' aluminum pre-cleaner. This brightened the aluminum and worked better than any other cleaner I tried, but did not get rid of much of the corrosion. The polished one still has some slight pitting, but I'm probably the only one who will ever notice that. Only 19 windows to do! Now, where did I put my straight jacket?
Attached Thumbnails
P1010767.JPG  

Tags
trillium