Restoring the "Haunted Mansion" - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #181

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I cannot wait to see the final product! It is really becoming a cosy camper!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #182

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Continuing on...

The Air Conditioner

While the AC unit is sealed off , it still had a gap between the cabinet and the actual face of the unit....we got some vinyl trim, painted it the same color as the cabinets and attached it with screws.

Now there still is one cabinet door we need to cut -- the one on the side of the front pantry, but we need to get another piece of wood in order to pull that off. And we still need to sand the drawer front (it is a little rough) and repaint it...Meanwhile....it's on to the next project...

The Water Tank

We installed tie downs for the water tank and then used a tie down strap to hold the water tank in place. We connected the water hose to the pump. We also attached the vent hose which ties back to the inlet plate where there is a vent hole.

Now, normally, there would be a drain for the tank, but since we're reorienting the tank, the drain valve is no longer the drain...it's the main line supply. Eventually, we'll put a drain in between the tank and the pump using a T-connect...but for now, this will do.

The Closet/Pantry

We're not sure what the tall cabinet by the door will actually be used for...right now it's just empty. But, today, on the way to the camping store to get some parts, Myka wanted someplace to hold towels...so we got what we call the "fighting octopus with a horn" and attached it inside the door. (It's a meme thing on the Internet...)

Counter Trim

Originally, we were going to use aluminum on the edge of the counter top and the table...but 1) we couldn't find the aluminum we wanted locally....and 2) the stuff we found online -- while reasonably priced -- was extremely expensive to ship -- we were quoted a price of $150-$200 to get three pieces delivered...and we had to have it delivered to a place that accepts delivery trucks -- no home delivery. Um, ok...thanks, but no.

On to Plan B...we decided to go with vinyl trim around the table...and that was a trick to find...we eventually found it at Rockler Woodworking -- but only online. Oh, well...we ordered the trim and a router bit that would cut the slot the trim fits into. We'll need to round the corners of the table...but we'll do that once the trim gets here.

For the counter, we opted to use vinyl trim painted black and attached it using screws. We went with the vinyl because it was a little more flexible than wood trim.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2486.jpg   100_2487.jpg  

100_2488.jpg   100_2490.jpg  

100_2491.jpg   100_2492.jpg  

drunk octopus.jpg   100_2512.jpg  

100_2513.jpg  
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #183

Colorado
Registry
The Floor - Ok...its time to get to work on the floor. We had some leftover laminate flooring from the remodel of our basement, and this seemed like a great place to use it.

We started at the back of the trailer and worked our way forward....that way, if we had to use a "short piece" we could use it under the cabinet at the front and it wouldn't be visible.

Now when we extended the bed, we also extended the floor and decided to use it for storage as well as a chase to run wires from one side of the trailer to the other. Originally, we thought we were going to use a piano hinge...but that didn't work out as well as we hoped...the hinge stuck up too far and the screws just happened to go in where the foam that is attached to the back of the flooring is...so they weren't gripping anything. So, we opted to just go ahead and leave the lid loose. The whole "KISS" principle applies here...

The Battery - Now that everything was all wired up, it was time to install the battery. We picked up the battery and the box at the local auto parts store... We secured the battery box to the trailer using 1/4" bolts and then drilled four small drain holes in the bottom of the box.

We then took the wires for the trailer lights and the brake wire, put them in a harness to protect them from the elements and then attached that to the inside of the trailer tongue using cable clamps.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2493.jpg   100_2494.jpg  

100_2495.jpg   100_2497.jpg  

20150713_071759.jpg   20150713_071806.jpg  

20150713_071920.jpg   100_2498.jpg  

100_2499.jpg   100_2500.jpg  

Old 07-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #184

Colorado
Registry
Let There Be Light....

Of course, once we had power, it was time to test out the lights! In the first pic, you can see how much light comes from the three puck lights over the stove and sink. The next photo shows the three puck lights over the front counter. The third pic shows them both...That's a lot of light!

Turning the camera rearward, you can see the puck lights we installed over the dinette...one on each side and one in the middle back. In one of the pics you can see one of the directional lights that are positioned in the corners of the dinette. They are not glaringly bright...but put out enough light to read by.

The next two are of the porch light...off and on...that little guy is bright!

The next two shots are of the "night light" that we installed to throw some light on the floor inside the door...the first one is with the garage lights on, the second one is with the garage lights off. That little fella throws a lot of light, too! In these shots you can see the completed floor with the threshold installed.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2501.jpg   100_2502.jpg  

100_2503.jpg   100_2504.jpg  

100_2505.jpg   100_2507.jpg  

100_2506.jpg   100_2508.jpg  

100_2510.jpg  
Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #185

Colorado
Registry
And that's where we called it for today. We still have a small punch list of things to take care of...like grouting the backsplash and installing some trim around the top and bottom of it...

We also have to get the 110v system up and running... We got the power cord and the 30 amp plug that will go with our port...but we'll have to do a little work to get them all wired up... Once that's done, we should be able to test out the AC, microwave and the fridge!

We also have to fill the water tank and give the water system a test for leaks. There shouldn't be any, but you never know....

One more good weekend and we'll be ready to rock and roll...and just in time, too!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #186

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I cannot wait to see the final product! It is really becoming a cosy camper!

CindyL
Thanks, Cindy! We're really trying to make it nice. It's not "perfect," but it will serve it's purpose! And it's about the journey not the destination, right? If that's the case, this has been a very rewarding journey!
Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #187

Name: Alice
Trailer: Scamp
Nebraska
Wow just wow. It is amazing to see how far you come with your Scamp: The Haunted Mansion! Some day my new-to-me Scamp wants to get its own makeover. You're giving me lots of ideas. Thanks for all the pictures. I love them.
altygrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #188

Colorado
Registry
Alice [althygrae] - Thanks. It is amazing to see the total transformation of the thing.... And I'm glad I've given you ideas..I got them all from all the amazing folks here on the forum!

Glad you liked the pics. I'll have a few more this weekend when I get to finishing it off... Stay tuned!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #189

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I have loved watching this progression of work on your camper, wow. The design is spectacular! Tasteful and has come together well. Thank you so much for sharing!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #190

Colorado
Registry
Thanks, Diane!
Old 07-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #191

Colorado
Registry
We are definitely beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel...which is a good thing, since the Mansion's maiden voyage with us is just a few days away! Add to that the fact that the principal of Pickens Tech (where we had the welding on the frame done and the shell painted) wants to see it - as do my coworkers - before we go, to I've to take it on tour on Monday!

The work on the cabinets is finally nearing an end -- we had to sand the drawer front down -- it felt a little rough.... And we cut and painted the last cabinet door -- the one on the side of the front pantry/closet space.

We then turned out attention to the backsplash. It was time to do the grouting. We used a flexible grout that came in a tube and was applied with a caulking gun. We applied it directly to the tile and worked it into the cracks using a plastic putty knife and a grout float. Clean up was fairly easy...a wet sponge and paper towel cleaned up the excess grout nicely. We had to wipe down the tile several times to get it clean, but it looks great now.

While the grout dried, we tackled the wiring mess inside all the cupboards.... Instead of having individual wires dangling about, we wrapped them in a black plastic loom and secured the bundle with wire clamps.

Once we got all the wires bundled up, we went after the trash bag holder inside the kitchen cabinet door.... This was a great find at the Container Store. However, it's really designed for a little big larger door...and the lower rail of the top portion of the holder needed to be bent inward so the rack would clear the cupboard door frame. It just BARELY fits...we may have to bend it a bit more...but for now, this will do. The bends don't affect the function of the frame, but it will prevent us from using the lid that came with it. The holder will also double as a stop for the wire basket shelves under the counter.

Once the paint on the drawer face was dry, we attached it to the drawer and attached the handle. To keep the drawer from sliding out during transit, we added a baby latch to the center of the drawer.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2514.jpg   100_2515.jpg  

100_2516.jpg   100_2519.jpg  

100_2520.jpg   100_2521.jpg  

100_2522.jpg   100_2526.jpg  

100_2523.jpg   100_2525.jpg  

Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 AM   #192

Colorado
Registry
We also installed the side door on the front pantry/closet. This door will make it easy to access larger pots/crock pots, and/or coffee pot. Although the photo doesn't show it, the door does have a handle just like all the rest!

Our next project was to get the propane bottle connected so we could test the system and make sure there weren't any leaks. We had purchased the tank tie downs from Scamp months ago.... The trick was the regulator...it was already attached to a metal plate and it clearly states on the regulator itself that it had to be mounted vertically since the vent on it needed to be pointed downward (the vent is located between the black knob in the center of the regulator and the brass fitting at the right. The solution we came up with was to go ahead and mount it to the bracket itself. Why? Frankly, we didn't want to drill any more holes into the shell of the trailer, and there really wasn't any other place do mount it vertically.

But while that solved that problem, we still had another...we didn't have the hose that would connect the bulkhead fitting with the regulator... So we paid a visit to the local Camping World and picked up a hose, but we also needed to stop by Home Depot to get a few brass fittings to get all the various pieces to play nice and work together. Within minutes of getting home, the regulator was installed and the bottle was secured in position.

We also installed a cutoff switch for the battery (you can see it on the side of the battery box in the photo below)...and we wrapped the wires that connect to the battery in a plastic loom. Using the plastic loom made a big difference in how clean things looked on the tongue.

Next up was the trim on the floor. We opted to go with a pre-finished quarter round...it saved a LOT of time and it looks great on the floor. For the edge of the step/storage box, we used a silver-colored stair nosing strip - it goes well with the threshold and the other metal accents we have.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2527.jpg   100_2529.jpg  

100_2530.jpg   100_2535.jpg  

100_2536.jpg   100_2537.jpg  

100_2531.jpg   100_2532.jpg  

100_2533.jpg   100_2534.jpg  

Old 07-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #193

Colorado
Registry
We also installed the trim around the counter edge both top and bottom -- and since we wanted to make sure it was secure, we used the same screw idea we had from the edge piece on the counter....it turned out looking great, it's secure, AND it matches what we did on the counter edge molding! I didn't get any pics tonight, but I will update this post tomorrow when I can get some....

Finally we're starting to get to the finishing touches. It was time to install the curtains. Using bits and pieces from curtain rod brackets which we got from IKEA, we were able to use the cafe rods we already had.... So Myka brought out her creations and I installed them!

Once installed, Myka showed how the tiebacks she made work. They are made from excess cushion fabric and sewn onto the curtains...They stay in place thanks to a couple small pieces of velcro.

Well, of course, once we had curtains, we HAD to see what the cushions looked like, right? You betcha we did! And here it is...in almost all it's glory! Myka even brought out the Rest In Peace accent pillows we got the last time we were at Disney.... Of course, Myka had to give it a "test"...Nice and comfy!!!

So before we buttoned it up for the night, I took a couple of photos of the front of the trailer....I really love how all the colors go so well together inside!
Attached Thumbnails
100_2538.jpg   100_2539.jpg  

100_2543.jpg   100_2541.jpg  

100_2540.jpg   100_2547.jpg  

100_2552.jpg   100_2546.jpg  

100_2556.jpg   100_2561.jpg  

Old 07-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #194

Colorado
Registry
We're now about 48 hours from our maiden voyage with the Mansion... It's hard to imagine that after so long we're almost done with the renovation/restoration!

We finally got our package from Rockler woodworking, so the first task today was to tackle the table. We located the center of the dinette floor and secured the base cone.

Next was the top itself. We decided that the table was actually too big and opted to cut off about 8" - what that means for us is that we'd need to keep the piece we cut off to fill the gap under the cushions when we turn the dinette into the bed. No problem. We got the table top we'd laminated weeks ago up on the saw, and sliced off a good 8". We then taped the corners and using the second cone which attaches to the bottom side of the table, we traced a round corner. Then, using a jigsaw, we cut the corners.

Then, using the new router bit, we cut a 1/16" slot all the way around the table and then inserted the vinyl T-molding. A good whack or two with the rubber mallet and the trim molding went in.

We used a utility blade and carefully trimmed off the excess (the table is not quite 3/4" thick...imagine that)....
Attached Thumbnails
100_2562.jpg   100_2563.jpg  

100_2564.jpg   100_2565.jpg  

100_2567.jpg   100_2568.jpg  

100_2569.jpg   100_2570.jpg  

100_2571.jpg  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #195

Colorado
Registry
We then flipped the table over and found the center. We then shifted the cone rearward (so that we could have a few more options to get in and out of the dinette by swiveling the table) and secured it.

We then worked over the extra 8" piece by rounding the corners, routing the 1/16" groove, and then secured the molding, trimming it to be smooth, too. It really made a difference -- it looks so professional!

Naturally, we had to see it installed.... You can see the 8" piece at the front of the dinette. In all reality, that piece will probably be at the back of the dinette when it's made into a bed...not that it matters....

We then moved on to a series of minor tasks. First, we got the microwave shelf in and installed the microwave. It's secured to the shelf with a ratcheting tie-down strap that holds it tightly to the shelf. It ain't going anywhere.

Then it was on to connect the 7-pin connector to the front of the trailer. Once we had it all wired, we connected it to the Pilot and tested the lights. Here's a couple of shots of the tail and marker lights during the test.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2572.jpg   100_2573.jpg  

100_2574.jpg   100_2577.jpg  

100_2578.jpg   100_2629.jpg  

100_2579.jpg   100_2580.jpg  

Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #196

Colorado
Registry
Now there's not much I was dreading on the trailer as much as the rock shield - for a couple of reasons -- 1) I really dislike drilling holes into the shell I worked so hard to seal up! and 2) It makes me nervous when you only have ONE shot at something - I mean, once the holes were drilled, the holes were drilled and there aint no going back!

But we forged ahead and marked the location of the top hooks for the rock shield using masking tape. Once we had the locations marked, I carefully took the drill and set off down the path of drilling holes in the Mansion's shell.

Using the rivets Scamp sent with the hardware, we put butyl tape behind the bracket and installed the top hooks.

We then got the rock shield...the one we adorned with our graphics...and repeated the process with the tape (marking the holes for the brackets which attach to the hooks above the window) and we drilled them too. Again, we used the Scamp-supplied rivets to attach them.

Once those were on, we tried a test fit on the front of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2581.jpg   100_2582.jpg  

100_2583.jpg   100_2584.jpg  

100_2585.jpg   100_2586.jpg  

100_2588.jpg   100_2590.jpg  

100_2591.jpg   100_2596.jpg  

Old 07-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #197

Colorado
Registry
We then attached the bottom hooks to the rock shield. Now based on the photos I was able to find on the Internet about how to attach the rock shield, they all seemed to have the hook on the body of the trailer and the over-center catch on the shield. We didn't like the way that worked -- it would've required a shim of some sort, and the catch would have to go up into the graphic... So, I suppose you can say we installed the catch/hooks upside down, but they seemed to work just fine and hold the rock shield in place nicely!

And with that, Phineas, Ezra and Gus have taken up residence in the Mansion! Hence the title of this post. I understand that there is room for 1,000 happy haunts...well, maybe not. It's not that big of a trailer...

While we had a few extra hands on deck, we decided it was time to go after the belly band and reinstall it. We wanted more hands on it so as to NOT scratch the paint during the re-installation. One of the things I wanted to do with it was make the attachment of it more secure - the original way the band was attached was with blind rivets -- they entered on the top side, went into the fiberglass and did NOT come out on the bottom. Several didn't even make it through the fiberglass -- they completely missed that part all together. So, we drilled all the rivet holes completely through the belly band. We installed it on the trailer and CAREFULLY drilled the holes through the fiberglass. We then inserted stainless steel bolts and fastened them on the bottom side with friction nuts. It's amazing how sharp the trailer looks with the band back in place!

Next up was to install the hinges for the door. We wanted to get the hinges attached to the body first -- that way we wouldn't be fighting the door when it came time to reaching into the cupboard beside the air conditioning unit. Of course, we put butyl tape behind each hinge and reinforced them on the other side with fender washers and lock washers on the inside. Once they were in place, it was time to add on the final piece -- the door.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2597.jpg   100_2599.jpg  

100_2601.jpg   100_2603.jpg  

100_2604.jpg   100_2605.jpg  

100_2607.jpg  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #198

Colorado
Registry
Again, thankfully we had many hands available to do this. I remember fighting it by myself -- and this would not have been a fun job had we not had Bryce's and Braden's help. They held the door while Dan and I attached it.

Now you'll notice that we used LONG screws. We did that intentionally. The original bolts were just too small to use...and besides, we wanted to use stainless bolts....it also made it easier to attach everything when we didn't have to worry if the bolt wasn't in all the way or was in danger of falling out while we put the washers and nuts on. Eventually, we cut the excess bolt off using a Dremel metal cutting disc.

And with the first test...the door closed and latched with a solid and resounding click! No adjustments necessary! It was like we planned it that way!

At one time we were worried about how the door would look without a piece of the belly band going across it where the paint line was. But the guys at Pickens did such a great job, we're not going to do anything...we're gonna leave it just like it is!

Once the door was on, I used my expired AAA card (I got a new one, BTW) to trim the excess butyl tape from around the hinges -- both on the door and the body of the trailer.

With the door now on, we could install the curtain rod and curtains on the door. Here are a couple of pics. (Including one of Dan peeking in the window!)
Attached Thumbnails
100_2609.jpg   100_2611.jpg  

100_2613.jpg   100_2614.jpg  

100_2616.jpg   100_2618.jpg  

100_2620.jpg   100_2628.jpg  

100_2645.jpg   100_2646.jpg  

Old 07-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #199

Colorado
Registry
Shifting our attention back inside, we installed the fridge for the last time, We had some issues getting to the tie downs... Remember -- we had the hooks on the floor (as shown in the photos from days past)? Well, we taped the tie down hooks to them to keep them from falling out during the install. We then ran the strap straight up to the top of the cabinet, taped it to the underside of the cabinet, then across, and then connected the other side (which was racheted) to the other hook on the floor. We had to use a couple of large caribiners to allow the ratchet to be up high enough to work...which is right next to the drawer (when removed). Once we started tightening the straps, the tape on the underside of the cabinet popped loose and the strap fell perfectly into place. We cinched it up pretty tightly -- and like the microwave, we don't think it's gonna go anywhere. To keep the stuff inside the fridge from going anywhere, we added a child-proof safety strap for just such an application....

We then moved back outside and put the edge trim around the bottom of the Scamp. Again, a few gentle nudges with the rubber mallet and things were all good....

Dan made the comment when he was taking pics for us that to really get the color of the purple, you needed to be at an angle to it...in the first pic below, you see a top/down view. The second pic is taken from a much lower angle (before we put on the trim...) You can also see it a bit in the pics he took of the front of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2630.jpg   100_2653.jpg  

100_2635.jpg   100_2636.jpg  

100_2639.jpg   100_2641.jpg  

100_2643.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #200

Colorado
Registry
Before we called it a night, we installed the smoke detector (eventually we'll get the LP detector), gathered up all the tools, fasteners, trash and other debris off the counters and gave them a quick wipe down. Tomorrow will be the big cleaning day...because for all intents and purposes, we are done with construction. The plan is to take it to the car wash tomorrow and give it a good bath (and check for leaks!). I'm sure we'll find something we need to fix/replace/redo once we take it for the shakedown cruise...but that's expected. For now, though, we're just glad the Hitchhiking Ghosts have finally moved in!
Attached Thumbnails
100_2647.jpg   100_2648.jpg  

100_2650.jpg   100_2654.jpg