Restoring the "Haunted Mansion" - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #169

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
You are doing a fantastic job on your Haunted Mansion, and your documentation is the icing on the cake.

I thought of a modification I made some time ago, and took a picture of it for you to consider. I replaced a part of the storage cover above the water tank with a piece of 3/8 inch Lexan, so I only need to lift the corner of the cushion and with the help of a flashlight check the water level visually. The piece of Lexan came from some trade show product display that my former employer was dismantling about ten years ago, and was saved as something that could be useful some day. It was.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010099.jpg  

Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #170

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom DeLuxe
British Columbia
Wow! I continue to be amazed. I also continue to have flashbacks to our own odyssey with our little Trillium, but we had a FG dinette and hanging closet before we started the project. Looking back, and at your project, I think of the tools we purchased, and which now cannot do without. Your efforts illustrate the difference between "Git 'er done" and "Git 'er done RIGHT!" Lots of time and work still to go, but you've come a long way now. Thanks for the memories.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #171

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - The Haunted Mansion
Colorado
Registry
Thanks, Paul and Kenneth! I'll keep an eye out for some Lexan! And I'll keep the documentation going. That's how I learned how to do all this -- reading the forums, looking at pictures, watching the occasional YouTube videos....

We still have a ways to go, but things are starting to come together! And while some of it may not be perfect, it's OK...it looks amazing to us!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #172

Colorado
Registry
And here's the latest update: We decided to bite the bullet and dive in to do the headliner. This was something we'd been dreading...it was such an important step and we didn't want to screw it up...but it had to be done before we could do anything else.

The way we designed the cabinets was done with the intention to hide any seams in the headliner fabric (or minimize them as much as possible). We planned to put one big sheet down the roof (our material was 60" wide, so that helped a lot!)...and the edges would disappear inside the cupboards. We'd use one sheet around the back - from closet to counter (where the backsplash would take over). Again, the edges would disappear behind the cupboards. So, using the cleats in the ceiling, we clamped the headliner fabric temporarily and made sure we were on track to be as straight as possible...then, using the spray glue, we did about a foot at a time - spraying and then affixing...lather, rinse, repeat....until it was all in. Then, repeating the process, we started at the kitchen area and worked our way around the back of the trailer until we got to the closet on the passenger side. It was a little more complex doing the walls with the wider fabric, but we got it done. Once everything was glued down, we cut out the windows using a utility blade and scissors.

A couple of notes about the headliner fabric:

1) It shows EVERY little imperfection that lies underneath it. One of the things it shows are the places we didn't quite get a tight seal between the reflectix and the hull around the shoulder of the ceiling. (We may have to play with those a bit more -- maybe a small puncture through to the underside of the reflectix and then shoot in some glue with a small tube? It's not bad, but I'm sure it'll bug me....)

2) Once it goes down you have only a small window of time to work with it. After that, the only way it's coming back up is in pieces -- the foam backing is NOT forgiving.

and 3) It's really easy to work with and smooth out...We were really surprised and how fast and smooth the walls turned out.

Once the headliner fabric was in, it was full steam ahead to put in the cabinets for the final time! YEA!!! We have been waiting for this day for a long time! The first cabinet in was the one across the back of the trailer....then we put in the tower below the kitchen cabinet, complete with wiring for the two outlets and the switch bank, and then the OH kitchen cabinet. Next came the OH cabinet on the driver's side dinette. Then came the closet followed by the OH cabinet on the passenger side dinette. Next came the front cabinets... and viola! We've got them all installed! And there was much rejoicing!

We'll need to touch up the paint a bit...a couple dings and scratches, but nothing major. We also got the breakers into the power center and got all the AC circuits connected. Now we can get the 12V lights wired....

Tomorrow, though, the priority will be on the windows and getting them reinstalled. Myka scrubbed the dickens out of them and they look great. The one window that's going to be a problem is the front plexiglas window. We got the new gasket/lock strip along with a new piece of plexi direct from Scamp...and we tried installing it tonight....but it's a lot harder trying to put that thing in than it looks! I think we've decided to have the auto glass guy put it in when he comes to replace the windshield in our car....He'll probably make quick work of it...and won't swear nearly as much as I did while I struggled with it for over an hour....
Attached Thumbnails
20150706_143950.jpg   20150706_164001.jpg  

20150706_164010.jpg   20150706_165342.jpg  

20150706_175223.jpg  
Old 07-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #173

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Nice work, from the pictures one would think you are a cabinet maker! I am making a shower/bath wall out of plywood with the accordion door framed with pine 1x2s...doing the same with a cabinet to replace the stock fiberglass one to hold my fridge & a/c unit...I am sanding them down to stain them but haven't decided how to finish the front of the cabinet
Old 07-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #174

Colorado
Registry
Johnny - Oh, I wish I were a cabinetmaker (my grandfather was one)... I do have to thank the pocket screw jig set up I got. That made life so much easier!!! If you don't have one of these in your tool kit, it's definitely worth the $30 investment!

As for the finish, we opted for paint on ours to help hide any mistakes I made...and oh, there are plenty of those! The paint is a semigloss with a primer mixed in. Went on like a dream, dried quick and looks great!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:50 AM   #175

Colorado
Registry
Tonight we were pressed for time, but we still managed to slip in some work -- this time on the backsplash. We found some really cool aluminum tile at Home Depot that was light weight - and we loved the color! The plan was to attach it directly to the hull of the trailer...even though we're not sure it'll hold...but it's worth a try.

Now normally, the tile should be oriented horizontally..but for our purposes, we are going to go vertical. Because of that, we needed to square up what would be the bottom edge of the tile using our Dremel and metal cutting disc...Once it was square, we gave it a test fit....

Then we traced the curve of the window opening on the back of the tile and went back to work with the Dremel. Cutting that curve looks easier than it was....
Attached Thumbnails
100_2385.jpg   100_2387.jpg  

100_2388.jpg   100_2391.jpg  

100_2399.jpg   100_2402.jpg  

Old 07-09-2015, 12:56 AM   #176

Colorado
Registry
We test fit the tile and then tried out the tile above it. Once we were happy with the fit, out came the construction adhesive and up the first two tiles went. For the missing tiles at the top of tile, we'll use scraps we cut.

Once we had the first couple of pieces in, we continued on around the window. The thick tile will actually work in our favor -- the previous owners put this window in the trailer -- but they evidently pulled it from another trailer with a thicker wall...when we pulled it out to start the renovation, there were shims behind the inner ring to help hold it in place. The tiles will do that naturally!

We were debating how far to take the metal tile -- should it go all the way around to the front window? Well, there's a little problem with that. Because of the compound curve of the front corner, we started to see a problem developing -- we'd have to end up cutting a triangular shape to fill out the tile -- and that, we felt, wouldn't look all that hot....so we took the tile to just past the sink - any further and the tile would start to go off at a rather drastic angle... And we'll finish out the front wall with the headliner fabric and the reflectix (which we still have plenty of!).

As for the grout, we really don't want to use standard grout -- we're afraid that it may be too rigid and would end up cracking as the hull flexes. We read somewhere that someone used a bath tub and tile caulk to seal up between the tiles...so we'll play with that on a scrap piece of tile and see how it plays out. But overall, though we are very pleased with the way the back splash is coming together!
Attached Thumbnails
100_2399.jpg   100_2402.jpg  

100_2406.jpg   100_2407.jpg  

100_2408.jpg   100_2409.jpg  

100_2410.jpg  
Old 07-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #177

Colorado
Registry
The clock is ticking...counting down the minutes to our maiden voyage with the Mansion....and there seems to be an endless list of details of things yet to do! Here's an update on what we got done yesterday and today....

The Curtains - Myka has been hard at work working on the curtains. She's using the green material for the curtains themselves and left over pieces of the upholstery fabric as tiebacks. It should look amazing! She's learning a lot about the quality of thread one uses when sewing...and how the "good stuff" makes sewing a whole lot easier!

The Sink - It was time to get the sink installed now that we finally had a hose for the drain. We used butyl tape around the edge, and then dropped it in place, securing it from below using the wing nuts that came with it. The sink is one of the only original things left from the Scamp when we bought it....but it looks way better than when we first saw it!

The Front Window - We had to have the windshield in our car replaced, so we made arrangements with the installer to also put the plexiglass window in the front of the trailer. After all, he had the tools and knowledge to do that. So, when he came over he worked on it with us...for like an hour and a half. Finally we decided the plexiglass was about 1/4" too wide (it came direct from the factory....so it must've been an irregularity in the shell or something). So we trimmed it down and soon had made quick work of it. He then installed the lock strip and the front window was in! It was really amazing in that the most effective tools for this job were actually two small (about 3/4" wide and 10" long) plastic sticks that help ease the rubber gasket over the edge of the plexiglass...and a can of glass cleaner which acted as a lubricant.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2412.jpg   DSCN2477.jpg  

DSCN2478.jpg   100_2460.jpg  

100_2462.jpg   100_2415.jpg  

100_2416.jpg   100_2421.jpg  

100_2436.jpg   100_2442.jpg  

Old 07-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #178

Colorado
Registry
When the window was in, Myka couldn't wait to peel off the blue material, so we let her!

Now with the window in, it was time to go back inside....

The Cabinets - We worked on getting all the doors/drawer front (14 doors, 1 drawer) cut and sanded and ready for paint (which we will leave to Myka....) We still aren't sure we want the doors to be the same color as the cabinets -- and we even kicked around some ideas for decorating the doors including incorporating the stretching portraits from the Haunted Mansion or even the official wallpaper... but we don't have the time right now. For this trip, we'll paint them all the same and decide on additional decorations later. Myka also painted the shelf for the microwave and the trim pieces that will go around the air conditioner.

Now we moved back to the inside and continued our work with the lighting... We installed four positional map lights in the four corners of the dinette, each with it's own switch built in. Then, for general lighting, we installed LED puck lights. The puck lights over the dinette will be controlled by a switch by the door (we just happened to have one open!). The pucks over the counter will be controlled by a switch on the tower under the overhead cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2443.jpg   100_2445.jpg  

100_2447.jpg   DSCN2479.jpg  

100_2423.jpg   100_2425.jpg  

100_2449.jpg   100_2453.jpg  

Old 07-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #179

Colorado
Registry
Lighting - We had to create special holes for the directional lights, so we made a template to trace on the cabinet for cutting.

In addition to the puck lights across the front cabinet, we also installed a power strip to plug in things like a crock pot, cameras, a TV...whatever would sit on that front cabinet.

Next up was installing the doors that Myka had painted (and after they had dried. Myka picked out a simple yet coordinating handle for each of the doors and some nice self-closing hinges. We don't have the supports for the doors yet, but we'll get them when we get back. We'll have to order the ones I want online....

We also installed a catch...I'm not sure how sturdy those catches will be, but we'll give them a shot for this trip and if we don't like them...we can always replace them. They weren't that expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
20150710_125843.jpg   20150710_125849.jpg  

20150710_125857.jpg   100_2461.jpg  

100_2463.jpg   100_2464.jpg  

100_2465.jpg   100_2466.jpg  

100_2467.jpg   100_2473.jpg  

Old 07-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #180

Colorado
Registry
Here are some more pics of the cabinet doors.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2479.jpg   100_2481.jpg  

100_2482.jpg   100_2483.jpg  

100_2484.jpg   100_2485.jpg  

Old 07-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #181

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I cannot wait to see the final product! It is really becoming a cosy camper!

CindyL
Old 07-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #182

Colorado
Registry
Continuing on...

The Air Conditioner

While the AC unit is sealed off , it still had a gap between the cabinet and the actual face of the unit....we got some vinyl trim, painted it the same color as the cabinets and attached it with screws.

Now there still is one cabinet door we need to cut -- the one on the side of the front pantry, but we need to get another piece of wood in order to pull that off. And we still need to sand the drawer front (it is a little rough) and repaint it...Meanwhile....it's on to the next project...

The Water Tank

We installed tie downs for the water tank and then used a tie down strap to hold the water tank in place. We connected the water hose to the pump. We also attached the vent hose which ties back to the inlet plate where there is a vent hole.

Now, normally, there would be a drain for the tank, but since we're reorienting the tank, the drain valve is no longer the drain...it's the main line supply. Eventually, we'll put a drain in between the tank and the pump using a T-connect...but for now, this will do.

The Closet/Pantry

We're not sure what the tall cabinet by the door will actually be used for...right now it's just empty. But, today, on the way to the camping store to get some parts, Myka wanted someplace to hold towels...so we got what we call the "fighting octopus with a horn" and attached it inside the door. (It's a meme thing on the Internet...)

Counter Trim

Originally, we were going to use aluminum on the edge of the counter top and the table...but 1) we couldn't find the aluminum we wanted locally....and 2) the stuff we found online -- while reasonably priced -- was extremely expensive to ship -- we were quoted a price of $150-$200 to get three pieces delivered...and we had to have it delivered to a place that accepts delivery trucks -- no home delivery. Um, ok...thanks, but no.

On to Plan B...we decided to go with vinyl trim around the table...and that was a trick to find...we eventually found it at Rockler Woodworking -- but only online. Oh, well...we ordered the trim and a router bit that would cut the slot the trim fits into. We'll need to round the corners of the table...but we'll do that once the trim gets here.

For the counter, we opted to use vinyl trim painted black and attached it using screws. We went with the vinyl because it was a little more flexible than wood trim.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2486.jpg   100_2487.jpg  

100_2488.jpg   100_2490.jpg  

100_2491.jpg   100_2492.jpg  

drunk octopus.jpg   100_2512.jpg  

100_2513.jpg