Restoring the "Haunted Mansion" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #15

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - The Haunted Mansion
Colorado
Registry
We were wondering about that....We told the welder to look over the frame, with special attention to the welds. Of concern was the angle under the lower floor that had only one little joint holding it together....We told him we wanted that beefed up....but now I will have him add the cross brace on the dance floor.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #16

Colorado
Registry
We got the frame back from the welding shop...they did a great job....replaced the bent and damaged tongue, added a new coupler, installed the new axle, and installed the extra brace missing on the dance floor. Now we just need the weather to warm up a bit so we can use the POR-15 on the frame.... the pics show the new pieces, as well as the underside of the old coupler....it was messed up pretty bad.... So sad that the POs treated it so poorly....
Attached Thumbnails
20141125_075310.jpg   20141125_075302.jpg  

20141125_075254.jpg   20141125_075205.jpg  

Old 12-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #17

Colorado
Registry
We finally got a warm day so, it was a great chance to paint the frame. Having had the axle replaced, we now had to deal with the frame sitting higher. Since we plan to store the trailer in the garage, we needed to keep the clearance as low as possible, so we swapped out the nice aluminum wheels with some smaller ones for storage (and while we work on it) -- and we gained about 8". We then wheeled out the trailer and prepped it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1849.jpg   DSCN1850.jpg  

DSCN1851.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #18

Colorado
Registry
After prep, it took a long afternoon to paint the trailer with POR15...now to let it dry....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1858.jpg   DSCN1859.jpg  

DSCN1860.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #19

Colorado
Registry
We topcoated the tongue and rear bumper, let it dry and then...FINALLY...it was time to get the trailer and pod back together. Seems like it has been forever since we pulled the two apart! With the new smaller "storage wheels," the newly-repaired trailer slipped easily back under the pod. The tricky part was making sure that when we lowered the pod, that it landed precisely back on the trailer.

Once we got it just about 2" away from where it was to finally go, we applied the PL adhesive around the perimeter of the floor, and then gently lowered the pod in place. It took a little nudge here and there, but it went into place pretty easily. Once down, a few pilot holes and some screws and viola! Trailer and pod back are one!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1895.jpg   DSCN1896.jpg  

DSCN1897.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #20

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
Looks like you're doing everything right! keep up the good work. I work in a manufacturing facility. We also make big trailers ( for farm use) I've seen lots of shoddy workmanship. You won't regret your patience & eye for detail!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #21

Colorado
Registry
Thanks, Larry! We're trying to follow the advice of all the wonderful people here on the forum! I don't think we could have come this far without their help!!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 AM   #22

Name: Joe
Trailer: Boler
Minnesota
Looks great!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #23

Colorado
Registry
Thanks, Joe!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1981 13' Burro project/ 2008 Chevy Colorado extended cab
Minnesota
Registry
I would replace the rest of the OSB flooring as OSB was never designed for outdoor use. get a marine grade plywood that is meant for harsh conditions.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #25

Colorado
Registry
Jim -- It's too late. It's all glued and screwed down. But, never fear. It has been covered in resin by the previous owner (so much so that trying to remove it from the shell would practically destroy the shell -- and that's a task I really don't wanna take on!) The bottom side is likewise treated and will receive a serious coating of protectant...like the bedliner stuff.

- Tony
Old 12-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Wow, you are going to great lengths so save the old Scamp and doing it up right. May you get many, many carefree years of enjoyment out of it! My almost too late dos centavos suggestion is to go ahead and stamp the VIN back in the factory location on the new frame member. It may prevent some possible unforeseen issue some years from now.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #27

Colorado
Registry
Tim - yup got it covered!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #28

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I am following this one to see where you go with the theme. Should bring out your creativity

Looking good.

CindyL