Having autopsied the door, we turned our attention back to the interior.
After removing the clamps from the tab/strut on the rearward side of the door, we were really pleased at how the PL adhesive set up. That thing isn't coming out for anything! But we'll still glass it in before we're done, just to make sure.
Next up, the next tab backward - the one that will attach the rear wall of the pantry/closet. The tricky part was how to clamp it in position. We cut a couple of 2x2's to act as spacers between the two struts to keep them evenly spaced. Then, after gooing it up with more PL adhesive, we used a web clamp/strap tie down running through the doorway and window, we clamped the rearward strut into position.
Next, we moved on to the rear of the trailer. There were a couple of issues that we need to address here. First, part of one of the bench seat tabs had rotted out thanks to a leak from the back window. That needed to be replaced. A new tab was cut and fitted into place.
The second issue involved the holes for the bolts for the spare tire The two bolts that hold the spare tire on had only the thickness of the back wall for support... We didn't think that was enough, so we decided to give the area a little bit of reinforcement; we cut a scrap of 3/4" plywood and glued it to the wall using that amazing PL adhesive.
Our plan is to make the dinette into a U shape, with a bench across the back of the trailer, so we needed to provide support for the bench across the back where there was none before. We cut a tab to fit the back of the trailer, then cut a notch in it to go around the reinforcement panel. Once it was all fitted together, we glued and clamped it in place. A scrap piece of 2x2 wedged between the reinforcement panel and the floor helped keep the reinforcement panel from sliding down while the horizontal tab held it tight to the wall.
The last thing on the agenda today was to get the tab forward of the door glued into place. Again, some creative clamping was required; the tab is set too far back from the edge of the door for standard clamps. It had to be to allow for clearance of the bolts for the door.
We screwed a small 2x2 block on the floor to give us at least one sure clamp point. Using a framing square, we squared up the tab to the floor and marked the pod where the tab should go. We then slathered the back edge with the PL adhesive and shoved it into place, clamping it at the bottom and aligning it along our marks at the top. In order to hold it tight against the wall, a scrap piece of 1x2 was wedged between the tab and floor and held into place with a drywall screw.
We still have some tabs to get in -- including the rearward one on the driver's side, and the second one on the right front corner (to make the front closet), as well as the various smaller tabs for the upper and lower cabinets. Lots to do...so little time!!