Rethinking the bed-table problem - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
There are darned few times when I thank my genetics for my lack of height.

This would be one of them. I just spent two nites in my Burro, with two dogs on the bed and had plenty of room.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
There are darned few times when I thank my genetics for my lack of height.

This would be one of them.

Why does a little guy (5' 6") like me buy a Fiber Stream with an 80" x 75" King Bed and Myron gets a Burro?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #17

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Ah yes, small is indeed beautiful, but life is too short not to be tall.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Ah yes, small is indeed beautiful, but life is too short not to be tall.

Myron, I'm 6'-5" tall. I have taken, in middle age, to not surrendering to being uncomfortable because of my height. I have probably spent more money than is reasonable in that pursuit, but I don't regret it for an instant... including buying the BF 25RQ into which I have installed a full 80" queen mattress.

I had a great-great uncle who died in the 1930s who was at least 6'5" tall, maybe 6-6 or 6-7; no one knows for sure. I have seen photos of him, and I resemble him closely. I can't imagine what a miserable life he must have led being a full foot to a foot-and-a-half taller than average for his time. The beds from that era (we have had a couple) are REALLY small compared even to a queen today... they're barely big enough to be called a double! Clothes, furniture... you name it... we're really fortunate today that there are so many more of us who are well over 6'4" tall.

The solution to your bed issue, BTW, is to get a later model 14' Burro wide-body at 7'6" wide. The larger bed would accomodate you nicely. That was the reason I orignally bought and then kept my Burro 17'.

Roger
Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #19

NM
Registry
Roger that, Roger. I've always enjoyed being tall, too. Only time I feel self conscious about it is in a theater. Do my best to scrunch down so not to block out everyone else's view. Otherwise, I feast on it. It took me a while, though, to get my dear wife, who is 6'3" probably since high school, to feel the same way.

As for getting a widebody....will have to win the lottery. Until then, here's pix of another solution.
Attached Thumbnails
bed06.jpg   bed07.jpg  

Old 11-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Uh... Myron... I can now see why you had such a difficult time deploying the modification. You really didn't need to do all that work... the dog is sitting on the table. If you'd gotten him down, the new mod would have deployed much more easily.

You just let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Roger
Old 11-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #21

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Myron,
I can see why you need a bigger bed with that Moose of a dog in there with you.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #22

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Myron,

I have been watching your mod here with interest, as both my hubby and I are tall and we too have a 13' Burro. We seem to fit all right in the bed, but both of us spend a restless first night and then wake up to stretch several times in subsequent nights (At least I do. Maybe it is because he hogs the bed.)

As the tall wife who also uses the portapoddy at night, where do you put it with your modification? I don't see floor space in the picture with it extended.

CindyL
Old 11-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #23

Name: Barbara
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Myron did you do this extension as a slide out? If so could you post a few pictures of the workings?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:06 PM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: Casita 2000 17ft. Liberty
California
I don't see how one can get out of that bed. Have you ever tried to get out of the foot of a bed? The covers have to be completely off (a mate wouldn't like that) and then a front somersault to get to the floor. Repeat in reverse to reenter. Maybe a video clip would explain the gymnastics required.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I don't see how one can get out of that bed. Have you ever tried to get out of the foot of a bed? The covers have to be completely off (a mate wouldn't like that) and then a front somersault to get to the floor. Repeat in reverse to reenter. Maybe a video clip would explain the gymnastics required.
Sleeping bags, no problem with covers off mate.
Getting out.
Sit up skoot forward until you can put feet on the floor
Stand up.

Getting in.
Sit down skoot back to where you want to be.
Lay down. Zip up sleeping bag.

No somersault required.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Sleeping bags, no problem with covers off mate.
Getting out.
Sit up skoot forward until you can put feet on the floor
Stand up.

Getting in.
Sit down skoot back to where you want to be.
Lay down. Zip up sleeping bag.

No somersault required.
Sounds like info from an experienced Tube Tent camper You're right Byron, sleeping bags might be the best bedding for this application. Or individual sheets/blankets.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #27

NM
Registry
Byron's got it right. Sleeping bags and skootch forward with leg power but I see no reason why blankets and sheets should be avoided. We're all adults, here. (Tried a theoretical somersault once and landed out the door...on my feet, of course.)

It's a slider, Barbara. Lift rear lip up and pull forward. I added stick on sliding felt to the rear lip and, as mentioned earlier, the locking knob goes in after sliding, to avoid scratching table surface. Second pix is for Cindy, shot with wide angle lens.

Gentle Ben is a rescue from the Newark dog pound where as a youngster he was on death row. We are told he's part pit bull and part Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Attached Thumbnails
bed08.jpg   bed08a.jpg  

Old 11-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #28

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Thanks, Myron,

Now I see how it fits. Not sure if it will work for us. We seem to pile all kinds of stuff in that spot as we get ready for bed but a mod for us to think about. We aren't quite as tall as you and your wife though.
We have put the dinette in the front, so if we try that mod, we would be putting the hinge on the dinette board that would be taken out during the day. Can't stand the bed being left up. I like the space without the dinette.

Aren't the 13' Burros fun to tinker with? Much though I would like the space of a larger trailer, there is something cozy and personal about the little ones. And cute. Besides, we could not fit a larger one on our parking pad.

CindyL