Rethinking the bed-table problem - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Myron,
I can see why you need a bigger bed with that Moose of a dog in there with you.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Myron,

I have been watching your mod here with interest, as both my hubby and I are tall and we too have a 13' Burro. We seem to fit all right in the bed, but both of us spend a restless first night and then wake up to stretch several times in subsequent nights (At least I do. Maybe it is because he hogs the bed.)

As the tall wife who also uses the portapoddy at night, where do you put it with your modification? I don't see floor space in the picture with it extended.

CindyL
Old 11-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Myron did you do this extension as a slide out? If so could you post a few pictures of the workings?
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
I don't see how one can get out of that bed. Have you ever tried to get out of the foot of a bed? The covers have to be completely off (a mate wouldn't like that) and then a front somersault to get to the floor. Repeat in reverse to reenter. Maybe a video clip would explain the gymnastics required.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I don't see how one can get out of that bed. Have you ever tried to get out of the foot of a bed? The covers have to be completely off (a mate wouldn't like that) and then a front somersault to get to the floor. Repeat in reverse to reenter. Maybe a video clip would explain the gymnastics required.
Sleeping bags, no problem with covers off mate.
Getting out.
Sit up skoot forward until you can put feet on the floor
Stand up.

Getting in.
Sit down skoot back to where you want to be.
Lay down. Zip up sleeping bag.

No somersault required.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Sleeping bags, no problem with covers off mate.
Getting out.
Sit up skoot forward until you can put feet on the floor
Stand up.

Getting in.
Sit down skoot back to where you want to be.
Lay down. Zip up sleeping bag.

No somersault required.
Sounds like info from an experienced Tube Tent camper You're right Byron, sleeping bags might be the best bedding for this application. Or individual sheets/blankets.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #27

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Byron's got it right. Sleeping bags and skootch forward with leg power but I see no reason why blankets and sheets should be avoided. We're all adults, here. (Tried a theoretical somersault once and landed out the door...on my feet, of course.)

It's a slider, Barbara. Lift rear lip up and pull forward. I added stick on sliding felt to the rear lip and, as mentioned earlier, the locking knob goes in after sliding, to avoid scratching table surface. Second pix is for Cindy, shot with wide angle lens.

Gentle Ben is a rescue from the Newark dog pound where as a youngster he was on death row. We are told he's part pit bull and part Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Attached Thumbnails
bed08.jpg   bed08a.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Thanks, Myron,

Now I see how it fits. Not sure if it will work for us. We seem to pile all kinds of stuff in that spot as we get ready for bed but a mod for us to think about. We aren't quite as tall as you and your wife though.
We have put the dinette in the front, so if we try that mod, we would be putting the hinge on the dinette board that would be taken out during the day. Can't stand the bed being left up. I like the space without the dinette.

Aren't the 13' Burros fun to tinker with? Much though I would like the space of a larger trailer, there is something cozy and personal about the little ones. And cute. Besides, we could not fit a larger one on our parking pad.

CindyL
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #29

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Wondering if you could do something like that for the front couch so that you would have a "wider" bed?
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #30

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I've imagined something like this, so it's great to see that it can be done. What you haven't said is how well you sleep, but I assume it's a more comfortable place now.

For my wife and I, the problem isn't our height but our width. I sleep with my face a few inches from a hard fiberglass counter wall, which I've had to insulate so it doesn't radiate coldth (a scientific term) all night. We're accustomed to spooning all night, and rolling over in tandem like synchronized sleepers. I read that Civil War re-enactors, lacking any sleeping bags, spoon together like this in long chains.

I can't devote the dinette to a full-time bed because we need bunks in front, but I believe I'd set this up every night just for the extra space. Thanks for a great tip. Makes you wonder why Scamp didn't think about it first. Sometimes I think they're too traditional-minded and set in their ways?
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Makes you wonder why Scamp didn't think about it first. Sometimes I think they're too traditional-minded and set in their ways?
My guess there isn't the demand for that type of system and it would probably increase the cost.

My preference is the way it is in my 2006 13' Scamp. I'm not sure if our needs are the same as most people. I know they're not the same as some. For us the amount of sleeping room is greater in the non-modified Scamp bed than it is in our backpacking tent. We've spent many happy nights in that little tent and intend on spend a few more, so the Scamp feels like luxury to us.

One of the great things about these little trailers is that you can easily modifiy and change them to suit your needs. This forum seems to present more different ideas to solve any problem than any place I've seen. Even though I don't intend to modify my bed like Myron is doing, it's nice to see what he is doing.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #32

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Brian wrote:
"I'm not sure if our needs are the same as most people. I know they're not the same as some. For us the amount of sleeping room is greater in the non-modified Scamp bed than it is in our backpacking tent."

You must have one mighty small tent! Smaller than a Scamnp's full-sized bed? My smallest tent is 30 square feet, and it wouldn't contribute more than one-ninth of the weight of your 45 lb pack. But my next tent, coming in the mail next week, is 35 sq. ft inside the screening, plus two large vestibules under nylon, all for a whopping 2.5 lbs. Given this site's bent towards small, efficient shelters, I'll someday have to take the time to blog about recent developments in lightweight backpacking. It's a wonderful new world out there -- sleeping between the trees in hammocks, or on down-filled air mattresses, is a long way removed from the days of quarter-inch blue foam pads on the floor of your eight-pound tent. Time to wake up and smell the syl-nylon!
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:38 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Brian wrote:
"I'm not sure if our needs are the same as most people. I know they're not the same as some. For us the amount of sleeping room is greater in the non-modified Scamp bed than it is in our backpacking tent."

You must have one mighty small tent! Smaller than a Scamnp's full-sized bed? My smallest tent is 30 square feet, and it wouldn't contribute more than one-ninth of the weight of your 45 lb pack. But my next tent, coming in the mail next week, is 35 sq. ft inside the screening, plus two large vestibules under nylon, all for a whopping 2.5 lbs.
I've got an older Kelty Cyclone, 34.6 square feet of floor space, with 2 vestibules at 13.7 square feet each. It's a might on the heavy side at 7 pounds. The actual bed area is closer 25 square feet. The tent sides curve in sooner, add a bit of gear (clothes, a couple pairs of boots), and it feels a lot smaller than trailer bed. And sleeping in the tent is sleeping on 20" x 44" pads.

Quote:
Given this site's bent towards small, efficient shelters, I'll someday have to take the time to blog about recent developments in lightweight backpacking. It's a wonderful new world out there -- sleeping between the trees in hammocks, or on down-filled air mattresses, is a long way removed from the days of quarter-inch blue foam pads on the floor of your eight-pound tent. Time to wake up and smell the syl-nylon!
Comming a long way is right. I spent a very few nights on that blue foam stuff. Thermarest had just come on the sceen, a bit expensive, but I wouldn't be without one now. My first pack weighed around 50 pounds, then I kept adding to 60+. I'm getting too old to haul around a 60+ pack around. I'm sure I can go lower than 45 lbs by inserting money.

Happy Camping.