Rethinking the bed-table problem - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Posts: 142
Wondering if you could do something like that for the front couch so that you would have a "wider" bed?
__________________

__________________
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #30
Member
 
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 97
I've imagined something like this, so it's great to see that it can be done. What you haven't said is how well you sleep, but I assume it's a more comfortable place now.

For my wife and I, the problem isn't our height but our width. I sleep with my face a few inches from a hard fiberglass counter wall, which I've had to insulate so it doesn't radiate coldth (a scientific term) all night. We're accustomed to spooning all night, and rolling over in tandem like synchronized sleepers. I read that Civil War re-enactors, lacking any sleeping bags, spoon together like this in long chains.

I can't devote the dinette to a full-time bed because we need bunks in front, but I believe I'd set this up every night just for the extra space. Thanks for a great tip. Makes you wonder why Scamp didn't think about it first. Sometimes I think they're too traditional-minded and set in their ways?
__________________

__________________
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,307
Registry
Quote:
Makes you wonder why Scamp didn't think about it first. Sometimes I think they're too traditional-minded and set in their ways?
My guess there isn't the demand for that type of system and it would probably increase the cost.

My preference is the way it is in my 2006 13' Scamp. I'm not sure if our needs are the same as most people. I know they're not the same as some. For us the amount of sleeping room is greater in the non-modified Scamp bed than it is in our backpacking tent. We've spent many happy nights in that little tent and intend on spend a few more, so the Scamp feels like luxury to us.

One of the great things about these little trailers is that you can easily modifiy and change them to suit your needs. This forum seems to present more different ideas to solve any problem than any place I've seen. Even though I don't intend to modify my bed like Myron is doing, it's nice to see what he is doing.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #32
Member
 
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 97
Brian wrote:
"I'm not sure if our needs are the same as most people. I know they're not the same as some. For us the amount of sleeping room is greater in the non-modified Scamp bed than it is in our backpacking tent."

You must have one mighty small tent! Smaller than a Scamnp's full-sized bed? My smallest tent is 30 square feet, and it wouldn't contribute more than one-ninth of the weight of your 45 lb pack. But my next tent, coming in the mail next week, is 35 sq. ft inside the screening, plus two large vestibules under nylon, all for a whopping 2.5 lbs. Given this site's bent towards small, efficient shelters, I'll someday have to take the time to blog about recent developments in lightweight backpacking. It's a wonderful new world out there -- sleeping between the trees in hammocks, or on down-filled air mattresses, is a long way removed from the days of quarter-inch blue foam pads on the floor of your eight-pound tent. Time to wake up and smell the syl-nylon!
__________________
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:38 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,307
Registry
Quote:
Brian wrote:
"I'm not sure if our needs are the same as most people. I know they're not the same as some. For us the amount of sleeping room is greater in the non-modified Scamp bed than it is in our backpacking tent."

You must have one mighty small tent! Smaller than a Scamnp's full-sized bed? My smallest tent is 30 square feet, and it wouldn't contribute more than one-ninth of the weight of your 45 lb pack. But my next tent, coming in the mail next week, is 35 sq. ft inside the screening, plus two large vestibules under nylon, all for a whopping 2.5 lbs.
I've got an older Kelty Cyclone, 34.6 square feet of floor space, with 2 vestibules at 13.7 square feet each. It's a might on the heavy side at 7 pounds. The actual bed area is closer 25 square feet. The tent sides curve in sooner, add a bit of gear (clothes, a couple pairs of boots), and it feels a lot smaller than trailer bed. And sleeping in the tent is sleeping on 20" x 44" pads.

Quote:
Given this site's bent towards small, efficient shelters, I'll someday have to take the time to blog about recent developments in lightweight backpacking. It's a wonderful new world out there -- sleeping between the trees in hammocks, or on down-filled air mattresses, is a long way removed from the days of quarter-inch blue foam pads on the floor of your eight-pound tent. Time to wake up and smell the syl-nylon!
Comming a long way is right. I spent a very few nights on that blue foam stuff. Thermarest had just come on the sceen, a bit expensive, but I wouldn't be without one now. My first pack weighed around 50 pounds, then I kept adding to 60+. I'm getting too old to haul around a 60+ pack around. I'm sure I can go lower than 45 lbs by inserting money.

Happy Camping.
__________________

__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[at]^#&()(&^$!! TABLE! Judith Kennedy Modifications, Alterations and Updates 7 05-06-2012 12:17 PM
Rethinking the Auto Benita General Chat 2 12-29-2008 10:23 PM
New Table Top Gerry Modifications, Alterations and Updates 25 05-07-2008 11:14 PM
Rethinking Camping Donna D. Camping, Campout Reports 10 09-26-2007 11:35 AM
Table for Two? Steve L. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 14 01-06-2006 02:01 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.