Rewire boler 1300... Possibly. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppo View Post
...I see that the outside trailer lights connect to the converter. Can that bypass directly to the trailer harness then?
There is no connection between the operation of the vehicle lighting (tail, marker, stop, turn lamps) and the operation of coach/house systems (interior lights, fans, etc), other than sharing a "ground" (negative" connection. The wires may be intertwined, and that negative connection may be at the converter, but they can (and I think should for the sanity of anyone fixing anything) be kept as separate as possible.

When I replaced the trailer harness, I ended it at a termination box mounted on the tongue. Beyond that point, there is no connection between vehicle and coach/house wiring.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #16

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Battery chargers are not intended for use as DC supplies without a battery; the voltage they put out will depend on the load, but what you want is just a constant voltage around 12V or a bit higher. If going this no-battery route but needing 12VDC, I would use a simple converter.

I wouldn't actually go this route - a small battery (and a proper RV converter/charger instead of a basic substitute) adds very little to complexity and adds flexibility of use. I can't imagine wanting a trailer which can't even run a light or the water pump for a couple of minutes if I stop along the road to get something, use the bathroom, or grab lunch.
I agree. With a battery charger you'd need to add a simple voltage regulator. Battery is up to OP.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #17

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Manitoba
Thanks you guys.

So if I go the progressive dynamics converter route do I need an additional breaker box or anything? Or is that all one package. I was just researching a different model, 9200 I believe, but it looks like a completely different setup. Also if I do this, would this allow to ONE DAY hook up a battery as you suggest, just in case? My wife does change her mind a lot. Anyways thanks again and I think I will place my order soon.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #18

Manitoba
On closer inspection I see the words "integral"
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #19

Manitoba
*word. Night shift has clearly gotten to me today.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #20

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppo View Post
Thanks you guys.

So if I go the progressive dynamics converter route do I need an additional breaker box or anything? Or is that all one package. I was just researching a different model, 9200 I believe, but it looks like a completely different setup. Also if I do this, would this allow to ONE DAY hook up a battery as you suggest, just in case? My wife does change her mind a lot. Anyways thanks again and I think I will place my order soon.

No additional box needed, this has the AC breakers, the DC fuses and provides 12 volts to all your 12 volt accessories. You can easily add a battery later. The PD9200 is the converter only without the AC breakers and DC fuses included.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #21

Manitoba
Cool that sounds like my plan then! Wish me luck