Rich and Ashley's Uhaul CT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
I thought I would make a thread to "journal" the progress with our trailer. We haven't done much, but plan on making a few changes here and there, so here it goes!

Exterior: haven't done anything with it yet

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-986486368.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	55000

Interior: floor was just fiberglass and some rusty staples when we bought it. I wanted a wood floor, so I was fine with not having carpet to rip out! When I was putting in the underlayment, I wanted to take out the table base (replace it on top of the wood floor) for a cleaner look, but the bolts were rusted and it was sealed into the fiberglass.

Name:	image-1410951392.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	55001

I used duct tape to somewhat seal the pieces together where I cut, and to keep it all from sliding around where it wasn't cut perfectly.

Name:	image-216102703.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	55002

I have the wood floor in now. I need to fix the final piece before I put the trim in. What have you used to put the trim in your trailers? Do I just stick it on with wood glue? I don't want to use a nail gun or staple gun.. I'll take pictures when I've finished the floor.

I bought some fabric today to reupholster the cushions. I'm going to attempt it on my own... (Scary). I finally found the kind I will use at a little discount fabric store I had never been to. It's called home fabrics and they have an online store as well as stores in about 10 states. http://www.homefabricsonline.com/ The very best part is that it was on clearance for $3/yard! Score!
Tuanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looks like an ambitious project. When bolts are rusted, like in your table base, I've had good luck with using a drill bit larger in diameter than the bolt shank to take off the heads. Once the heads are off, push the shank through the floor. It is a good idea to seal the holes to keep water from getting into the plywood.

You might have luck gluing the 1/4 trim above the flooring to the fiberglass with contact cement. Dap 00272 Weldwood The Original Contact Cement 1-Quart - Amazon.com
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Utah
Thanks, I'll try that for the trim!

I was able to get three of the six bolts out of the base. The other three would spin in place, but never move up and out (weird). The most concerning to me was that the whole base was somehow glued to the floor. I tried to pop it out for a little bit, but felt like I was going to end up doing more damage to the fiberglass floor than it was worth.. So I left it and cut my laminate pieces to fit around
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuanis View Post
Thanks, I'll try that for the trim!

I was able to get three of the six bolts out of the base. The other three would spin in place, but never move up and out (weird). The most concerning to me was that the whole base was somehow glued to the floor. I tried to pop it out for a little bit, but felt like I was going to end up doing more damage to the fiberglass floor than it was worth.. So I left it and cut my laminate pieces to fit around
It would still be a good idea to seal the holes in the floor, especially from the bottom. Rotting floors is the death of eggs.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #5

Utah
I should post a picture of the floor now that it's done.. But here's this for now First trip!

Only complaint: is there a trick to keeping the cushions from sliding out from underneath of us in the night? My husband said he didn't sleep because he had to keep fixing it. Maybe a different layout of the cushions? I don't know if they'd fit any other way though...

Name:	image-1626799326.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	57415
Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuanis View Post
Only complaint: is there a trick to keeping the cushions from sliding out from underneath of us in the night? My husband said he didn't sleep because he had to keep fixing it. Maybe a different layout of the cushions? I don't know if they'd fit any other way though............
Maybe use some rubber mesh like is used to line shelves or put under rugs to prevent slipping.

Amazon.com: Duck 1100731 Non-Adhesive Select Easy Shelf Liner, Jumbo Roll, 12-Inch Wide, 20-Square-Feet, Taupe: Home & Kitchen

I'm replacing my table with a plywood piece and I plan to add a lip to the front edge to hold the cushions in place.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #7

Name: Jaydeen
Trailer: Burro 13'
California
Registry
Hi Ashley,
To keep the cushions in place for sleeping and traveling, I have a 1 x 3 board the WIDTH of the trailer in front of the cushions. Hard to explain but it is wedged between the cabinets on each side and the cushions. Make sense ? Works well. Board can't move nor can the cushions.
Jaydeen A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #8

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
The rubber shelf liner has solved my slippy-cushion problem, too.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There was a recent discussion about preventing moisture under the bed cushions, and some product designed for boats to be put down first, then cushions on top. Maybe that would keep them from sliding too. We put in a 5" foam mattress to sleep on and don't use the cushions. The bed is always made up. Here's a suggestion that unfortunately is made too late, before you put in the new floor you should have replaced the body mount bolts as it seems to be a common issue that they rust off where they go through the floor. Some can be accessed in the storage areas, but some are in the center floor area. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Where is the camp site shown in post#5? Looks awesome!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #11

Utah
It's in Utah It's the campground at the Utah Lake boat harbor in Provo
Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #12

Utah
Thought you guys would appreciate our little set up. We had the chairs inside because of some rain... This was at Maple Canyon in Utah a few months ago. It's covered in snow now. Put in some new curtains, and enjoyed some dinner all from the garden (do I have to mention it was my mother-in-law's garden, not mine? Ha ha).

Name:	image-4053668611.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	67016

Name:	image-2773378631.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	67019

Name:	image-1686687580.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	67018
Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Looks like you did a beautiful job on the interior; cushions look pro, and curtains are a great match. Enjoy using it.

Fran
74 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Very cool! I can understand why you want a VT though. Even with only 2 of us, the VT seems tight sometimes.

Have you thought of a screen house extension while you try to find a VT? We have a FirstUp that we set up every time we camp (or at least I try to make sure we do). It gives another room that makes a world of difference in feeling cramped. Kevin cooks in it when it is raining; the rest of the time, he cooks outside. We both have chairs that we set up and spend most of our time there. We just come in at night to watch TV and sleep. The screen house fits against the camper (We had a 13' Burro before the VT and used the screen house with it.) and allows the door to open. It just expands tight quarters, at least when the weather permits. I love to get up early and watch the early critters with my coffee in the screen house. Kevin has gotten so good at covering it in tarps though, that he keep us dry during a thunderstorm in KY that took down a tree that fell on the water supply to the campground. We could still enjoy the screen house even though the rest of the campground was hunkered down.

CindyL

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #15

Utah
Thanks! From what I understand, the cushions are original (and in great shape!) so once I got the floor and curtains in, I realized it wasn't worth the work of reupholstering. We have the original curtains as well, but they are so faded and thin that I had to switch them out.. Not to mention adding a little bit of color into the space

Yes, a VT would be ideal.. We do a lot of dancing around each other in our CT, and I know it wouldn't be a huge difference, but I feel like it would be just enough so that we're at least not falling on top of the stove etc I haven't considered putting up a screen room quite yet.. It would be convenient to have the space, but I really like the fact that we have nearly no set up to do when we get to our campsite. The maple canyon trip is the only one (so far) where it rained enough to move us inside. We're big into playing outside as much as possible, and usually only use the trailer for naps and sleeping at night.

I'm already looking forward to next summer when we can start camping again! Due in May, so we'll see how many times we take the trailer out...
Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #16

Utah
Has anyone modified a CT to have a front setup like a VT? I'm really in love with the bunk/dinette option. The couch isn't practical for us and ends up just being storage, so I'm completely fine with making that a dinette, or even possibly just a bench/twin bed. The problem is I really don't want to lose the bunk bed!

So I guess my real question is: can a VT type hammock be added to a CT without harming the structural integrity?