Rick's Boler "Tillie" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
Rick's Boler "Tillie"

So, hi all.

It's been a while since I last posted. A lot has happened to the trailer and me. A lot of work was completed on the trailer and more needed to complete. I had some health issues and feel the worst is behind and feel the need and desire to finish. Need I say and use! After the acid bath I removed the body from the frame and did some welding, sandblasting and powder coating. I added a rear hitch and support for a bike rack and added jack stands. The axle was great so new hub kits were installed and it was ready to roll. New tires came after body paint then wheel paint.
Picture time then more later.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02828.jpg   DSC02819.jpg  

DSC02944.jpg   DSC02992.jpg  

DSC02993.jpg   DSC02994.jpg  

Rick W in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #2

Michigan
After the body was put back in place I removed everything inside and the windows. I began some body work as well as redoing the tail lights. After the fiberglass was done it was off to paint booth and paint. I painted all the interior and exterior and installed new LED lights around. The license plate light is what is used on motorcycles and is two LED bolt lights.
I changed my mind, thinking I was going to do it to resemble some boats using a nautical theme I decided to go bold and in keeping with a street rod look. The paint is a House of Kolor White Pearl with Sunset Pearl fading up the sides. Inside is White upper along with white seats. The pantry and kitchen base is Purple Pearl.

Rick W.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2184.jpg   IMG_2212.jpg  

IMG_2200.jpg   IMG_2563.jpg  

IMG_2564.jpg   IMG_2569.jpg  

IMG_2224.jpg   IMG_2571.jpg  

IMG_2123.JPG   IMG_2177.jpg  

Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gorges
You did a most outstanding job.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
another

another artisan makes me mad I have no talent

congratulations you should be proud!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Alberta
Looks amazing! How are you going to attach the cabinetry inside? I see you filled in all the rivet holes.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
More progress pics please !

More and more pics as you go !!
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #7

Michigan
Tim,

I wanted to fill the holes for paint as over the years many new fastening devices and locations were used and I wanted to have the freedom to install the units as they fit and lined up the best. I used all stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts. I used the bolts and washers with a little putty outside and if you can see in the pictures acorn nuts inside so I don't cut my noodle.
I used stainless steel rivets where the pantry and door meet.
Just for fun... I drove to Holland last Saturday and as you can see no camping or boating yet.

Rick W.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2927.jpg   IMG_2928.jpg  

IMG_2907.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Alberta
I did something similar. I managed to find some stainless washers with rubber gaskets stuck to them. So far so good. I finished the inside with the stainless acorn nuts like they did to some of the rivets. I put an awning rail on too and probably should have used rivets to make it look nicer on the inside (under the ensolite) but the nuts and bolts seem be working fine so far there too.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #9

Missouri
rick one think I think for the reason of the rivits scamp and others use is I don't know how to keep the nuts from vibrating off? the rivits are quite tight I haven't ran into any coming loose yet I used screws either way it takes two people to get them on I would think. I love your painting inside too very nice indeed.

bob
Old 02-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #10

Michigan
Bob,

Having the nuts vibrating off was a concern and what I did was use a lock washer and a nylon insert lock nut. That nylon inside does keep it tight. I feel I will have to keep an eye on them just to make sure. Also I feel a tight fit will be the only thing giving me a water tight seal. It had bolts holding the cabinets in place when I bought it and didn't know or think riveting them could be an option.
Rick
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Lights

I like the lights on flexible stems.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:01 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Very nice job Rick and had a thought for you. As egg owners always seem to get folks wanting to "see" it. Might be interesting to have a before pic, like the one with the garden roof covering, hanging on the wall to show them. Bet the comments would be priceless .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #13

Missouri
good idea

good idea dave

bob
Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #14

Missouri
purple

that purple grabs you how did you come up with that idea?

bob
Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #15

Michigan
I always liked purple. Remember back in the '70's Dodge had the Road Runner that you could get in "Plumb Crazy"? I just went through books of car paint colors and fabric books and started putting things together. Just having fun and felt with this type of trailer anything would look good.

Rick
Old 02-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #16

Missouri
yes i recall

yes rick I remember those cars sort of grows on you like the orange mustangs!

bob
Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #17

Michigan
Back to the fasteners, I did use SS rivets in some areas like the pantry by the entry door.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2921.jpg  
Old 02-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #18

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Wow Rick!
That is a fantastic looking trailer, your paint job makes me envious. Your tail lights look great, I really like the looke of the chrome style LEDs. Keep showing us what your doing.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #19

Michigan
REALLY I'm not a lush

Having decided right out of the box to go more modern and street rod feel I have the proper tires on. I painted the original wheels, I know I could buy new ones cheep, but really wanted the original wheels. Sand blasted, painted the body color and hand painted a purple stripe. I had to tie in the interior purple. It just called for Baby Moons.

Well as you can see even I can't control my own mind. I have running water. That's right WATER!!! First I bought a faucet and knew I liked the small bar type look but wanted.... different. I decided to go with a beer tap. That created it's own unique problems as beer leaves the tap at 10 -12 PSI. So I had to buy a pressure regulator. I got the fittings to make it work and dialed it down to 10 PSI. Hooked up the hose to the outside and bingo, I had a nice stream of WATER flowing into the sink. It even drained out the new strainer, through the hose and out the side into a bucket. I recently stayed at the Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville and was talking to the bartender one night telling him about my latest project. I showed him a few pictures as it was just painted. He liked what I was doing and thought the beer tap was a great idea. So as we talked he said he had an idea, walked in the back room and came out with a tap handle for me. How cool is that. I took a picture of him and the handle and told him I would make it work and use it. After I installed it I found out I just don't have the height to put that handle on. Shoot! Oh well, still a great story.

Life is fun,

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2298.jpg   IMG_2918.jpg  

IMG_2179.jpg   IMG_2923.jpg  

IMG_2924.jpg   IMG_2915.jpg  

IMG_2958.jpg  
Old 02-25-2018, 03:33 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Rick, with your talent shortening that tap handle should be a piece of cake. Could even take the top crest off it and mount it to the top of the handle you show in the pic too.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler